What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else HUGELY disgusted by the flat look?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, based on the screen shots I've probably had my last iOS update. I cannot stand the look, it can't be for speed if they spent resources to animate opening and closing apps. It's worse than cluttered, it's blah and it looks cheap! To me it doesn't matter if the phone finds and processes gold, as a phone iOS 7 is going to make it useless. I am sad as this means no more new iDevices for me.

It doesn't make sense to me to abandon a device because of looks. If looks actually affected usability, that would be a logical choice to me.

The things that would get me to change: significant better performance in a competing product, or diminished functionality with my existing gadget.

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Come on guys and dolls . . . give Apple a break. I read about Blackberry and how backwards it is; how near death is is (OK, it could be) and they launch a new phone that is very un-BB like. MS will not change or innovate, many say and they give us the Surface and their phone OS. Some say Apple needs to change, so they do, and they catch heck because the UI is flat.

Are you all never satisfied?

All I see ahead is Apple suing over the use of flat blue tiles or perhaps Dyson, for making vacumes that look like the Mac Pro.
:D
Here is an idea: JB the thing in three years when they figure out how and add a theme. Or visit Cricket and have a look at the wonderful Samsung Chrono at only $29.99. no need for iTunes Gift Cards, either.

Geesh, Bob is so frustrated. :mad: :D :mad:

I was actually very satisfied with iOS6, actually, still am more satisfied with iOS 6. The only thing id want from iOS 7 is the new multitask, but hey, I can live without it.

It doesn't make sense to me to abandon a device because of looks. If looks actually affected usability, that would be a logical choice to me.

The things that would get me to change: significant better performance in a competing product, or diminished functionality with my existing gadget.

iOS6 functioned great and looked great to me. IOS7 functions great but doesnt look great to me. Logic tells me to stick to iOS6. Some people care more about the balance of looks and function. I loved the function of android, but lacked the looks. The fact that iOS had both is why I went to it. Looks have a great influence on my choices.

On another note:
Ive tried the beta, and I know its going to be different from the final release. But Ive seen some of the features that I love and objectively speaking, I for one am not going to upgrade my devices anymore =( while the features are great, Im too used to and prefer the older layouts and the color scheme. While very superficial, the reason I got an iPhone years ago is because i loved the stock apps on my iTouch (both look and function); the keyboard and dialer are what truly on me over. Im just wondering if this is the end of iOS devices for me altogether. Maybe Ill get back into it after iOS 12 or whenever the next major redesign is. But the weird thing is, it just doesnt upset me anymore \(o.o)/, i can live with my iPad mini and iPhone 5 as they are.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was actually very satisfied with iOS6, actually, still am more satisfied with iOS 6. The only thing id want from iOS 7 is the new multitask, but hey, I can live without it.

iOS6 functioned great and looked great to me. IOS7 functions great but doesnt look great to me. Logic tells me to stick to iOS6. Some people care more about the balance of looks and function. I loved the function of android, but lacked the looks. The fact that iOS had both is why I went to it. Looks have a great influence on my choices.

On another note:
Ive tried the beta, and I know its going to be different from the final release. But Ive seen some of the features that I love and objectively speaking, I for one am not going to upgrade my devices anymore =( while the features are great, Im too used to and prefer the older layouts and the color scheme. While very superficial, the reason I got an iPhone years ago is because i loved the stock apps on my iTouch (both look and function); the keyboard and dialer are what truly on me over. Im just wondering if this is the end of iOS devices for me altogether. Maybe Ill get back into it after iOS 12 or whenever the next major redesign is. But the weird thing is, it just doesnt upset me anymore \(o.o)/, i can live with my iPad mini and iPhone 5 as they are.

Android offers a huge range of customization, so looks and function are available.

You're right that looks sway many buyers -- that's one thing that Apple haters have consistently harped on -- they say Apple fans are swayed by packaging and marketing.

For me, ease of use is tops; looks come in far second when it comes to tools. I actually find Android messier looking on my Samsung Galaxy Note (compared with iPhone), but it offers me function, and I don't bother customizing.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The big problem is change simply for change. When done without a purpose or need (like bug removal, improvements, new features etc or to take advantage of advances in hardware) you get some really bad results as most times these are run by marketing teams or someone looking to put their name into the books.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The big problem is change simply for change. When done without a purpose or need (like bug removal, improvements, new features etc or to take advantage of advances in hardware) you get some really bad results as most times these are run by marketing teams or someone looking to put their name into the books.

Jonathan Ive is widely credited with driving the redesign. He's not someone who needs to establish his credentials; he's already got people loving him worldwide. If he's responsible, I figure it's because he prefers the new look, period. From what I've read previously, he and others at the company never liked skeuomorphism. Once Steve Jobs was gone, change was afoot. That's simply a matter of taste.

For my preferences, I find Windows' flat designs by far the most appealing of the bunch in phones, but I will never buy a gadget with looks as a priority.

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jonathan Ive is widely credited with driving the redesign. He's not someone who needs to establish his credentials; he's already got people loving him worldwide. If he's responsible, I figure it's because he prefers the new look, period. From what I've read previously, he and others at the company never liked skeuomorphism. Once Steve Jobs was gone, change was afoot. That's simply a matter of taste.

For my preferences, I find Windows' flat designs by far the most appealing of the bunch in phones, but I will never buy a gadget with looks as a priority.

Exactly, for the past few months all we knew was J. Ive had a major hand in the redesign, and thats how he makes his mark in history in iOS. If they've keep the same look as iOS 6, and added new features, then where is his glory for his contribution?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly, for the past few months all we knew was J. Ive had a major hand in the redesign, and thats how he makes his mark in history in iOS. If they've keep the same look as iOS 6, and added new features, then where is his glory for his contribution?

I actually expected something more cutting edge from him. I'm guessing that he might've held back, to try to bring people along slowly. Either that or he's just lacking in ideas, which would be sadder, lol.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, based on the screen shots I've probably had my last iOS update. I cannot stand the look, it can't be for speed if they spent resources to animate opening and closing apps. It's worse than cluttered, it's blah and it looks cheap! To me it doesn't matter if the phone finds and processes gold, as a phone iOS 7 is going to make it useless. I am sad as this means no more new iDevices for me.

Ok, looks like I may have been wrong on this one, after watching this video
I can't wait for a new phone and the official release of iOS7.

Note, if you don't want to upgrade don't watch this video :)

Last edited by a moderator:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, looks like I may have been wrong on this one, after watching this video
I can't wait for a new phone and the official release of iOS7.

Note, if you don't want to upgrade don't watch this video :)

After gathering more detailed information I, too, am excited for the update.

Last edited by a moderator:

sentinelace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ios 7 is not so pretty

I like it all but why did they change the colors? They are terrible

Most reactions

Latest posts