Anyone else HUGELY disgusted by the flat look?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Sonicrobby, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    It just looks so elementary. I love the lock screen and parallax, and the new features are amazing, but the look of the white status bars just isn't appealing to me. I just thought iOS was beautiful before, I think now its just mainstream. I don't know why this flat thing is so popular now, what's wrong with the gloss and such? It would be nice if we at least got to choose the UI look.
    I'm really hoping for a jailbreak and iOS 6-like theme before I upgrade though :(

2. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Which do you prefer?

Attached Files:

3. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I kind of agree. I don't get the flat look being all popular either. Why? I'd think apple would have retained their own look instead of trying to mimic android or someone else. I love the skewmorphic look myself or whatever it's called. As long as it works smoothly and does what I ask it to then I'm sure it will grow on me. Right off the bat though, I do like the look of my current iOS.

4. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree with you on the looks. Comparing the settings screen on iOS6 vs 7, I prefer it the way it is now. Not that I'm going to get upset, but I can't really believe this is considered better in any fashion by which I would measure it.

5. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Thats exactly what upsets me, that it is considered better :[ Despite sounding completely superficial, the iPhone did win me over not only because of the phone itself, but because the OS was superior to all other in the way it looks, specifically the keyboard, I will miss it greatly. I will most probably upgrade my iPhone to iOS 7, because the features are definitely worth it. Granted I wont "love" it as much because it will pain me to look at iOS 7.

Im just curious to see how it will appear on the iPad. On the iphone, it can be understandable. People want a "simple" interphase (although I thought it was simple before), and it makes sense to put it on a phone. But to have that look on the beautiful ipad will just be blah. It upsets me that apple is conforming. :[

One of my friends says that the new message and control center designs looks an awluf lot like a ripoff of the Google Hangouts aesthetics. They are already joking that apple will probably sue samsung or google for stealing the design.

6. iLoner

iLoner
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Below are some thumbnails of how iOS 7 will look on iPad, taken directly from Apple's website:

image.jpg

I don't understand why you are saying that Apple is conforming. The design of iOS 7 definitively is nothing like Windows Mobile. That isn't an opinion, that's a fact. I mean, honestly, compare screenshots of the two below:

image.jpg image.jpg

How can anyone say that these two look even remotely similar, or, for that matter, that Apple are conforming to a style of design set by Microsoft? And, having used Android on more than one device, I can safely say that I've never seen any stock version of Android that looks anything like iOS 7.

I apologise if I sound angsty, but I'm sick of people spewing out "facts" without backing them up. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but what are essentially bare-faced lies are not acceptable.

#16 iLoner, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  7. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Everybody....it is time to all take a step back and BREATHE a little, please!

Everybody's opinion counts so please do respect that!

Thank you,
    Ski ~
    iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

8. iluvmyipad

iluvmyipad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I think the new design reminds me a lot of the android phones. I'm not crazy about the look, but nothing I would really get upset over. As long as my phone works, and doesn't get complicated, I'm good.

9. ardchoille

ardchoille
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I really wouldn't call iOS 7 "flat" as it still has some gradients in the icons. A gradient is a way of making it appear that light is shining across a curved surface and many of the icons, as well as the dock, have such gradients. Compare that with the Windows screenshots.

I quite like the appearance of iOS 7, it's a "clean" look and dropping some of the UI effects will no doubt result in a faster user interface - which was likely one of the reasons that mobile operating systems are headed in this direction.

#19 ardchoille, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  10. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Its funny how youre focusing this on microsoft, i never said they are conforming to a style based on them, more of conforming to the styles used by them and mainly android. microsoft is a small part of this. Im not spewing out any facts anywhere, Im merely stating this design resembles android and windows 8 UIs. I go into music, safari, mail, even messages, they all remind me of android. It's no fact, it's what I see.