What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else HUGELY disgusted by the flat look?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't stand it. I bought apple because I hated the flat look of android and windows 8. Now iOS 7 looks like a combination of both.

I think it has great new features, but I don't think I'm going to upgrade, not yet anyway. Not until they give me that one thing I can't live without.

What about you? Like the new look?

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree it has somewhat of a "Windows 8" feel, however I do like the look. It looks more modern and very clean. Maybe it will help the older iDevices run faster as well :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't stand it. I bought apple because I hated the flat look of android and windows 8. Now iOS 7 looks like a combination of both.

I think it has great new features, but I don't think I'm going to upgrade, not yet anyway. Not until they give me that one thing I can't live without.

What about you? Like the new look?

The scheduled public release isn't until this fall, that's plenty of time for beta testing to address a lot of the issues.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, seems at least compatible w/ my old iPad 2 - I usually wait a little for the first updates to be released, so suspect I'll make the change if no problems emerge w/ the older iPad hardware and if a number of the apps I now own benefit for the new iOS w/ their own updates. :)

iLoner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I LOVE the new look! Both the UI and features look amazing, and even better than I expected :)

I understand that you aren't a fan of the new look, but "hugely disgusted"? Really? Don't you think that's a bit of an overreaction?

And, I really don't understand the ridiculous comparisons being made with Windows 8. iOS 7 looks and feels nothing like Windows 8 at all. This seems to be something completely unique, and I can't wait for it!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The adoption of a flatter design and the eradication of skeumorphism from Apple's design paradigm is overdue by a couple of years as far as I'm concerned. Installing on my iPhone4 as we speak.

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the new dock background. But, as scifan stated, it's still beta so some things could change before public release.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It would be very unusual to change UI elements during the beta. Features, functionality etc., yes, but I can never recall a UI element as significant as the dock being completely replaced during any previous beta phase, and considering it is already brand new, it's highly unlikely to get an update IMHO.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No biggie either way for me...I can take both. I would not make my choice based on whether the OS is flat or not.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So far, so pretty on the iPhone4, although there is no parallax, and it runs very slowly (even for a beta). I imagine the iPad2 will be similarly hobbled (given it is the same chipset), pretty much in the same way 3GS users got a hobbled version of IOS6. But then again, I'm sure there is lots of code optimisation to be done and debugging to be turned off!

Nice though... Notice the live clock icon, then despair over the fact that the Weather icon is not live :(
2013-06-11000116.png

2013-06-11000041.png

Last edited:
OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I LOVE the new look! Both the UI and features look amazing, and even better than I expected :)

I understand that you aren't a fan of the new look, but "hugely disgusted"? Really? Don't you think that's a bit of an overreaction?

And, I really don't understand the ridiculous comparisons being made with Windows 8. iOS 7 looks and feels nothing like Windows 8 at all. This seems to be something completely unique, and I can't wait for it!

It just looks so elementary. I love the lock screen and parallax, and the new features are amazing, but the look of the white status bars just isn't appealing to me. I just thought iOS was beautiful before, I think now its just mainstream. I don't know why this flat thing is so popular now, what's wrong with the gloss and such? It would be nice if we at least got to choose the UI look.
I'm really hoping for a jailbreak and iOS 6-like theme before I upgrade though :(

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Which do you prefer?

Attachments

• image-1635421151.jpg
    image-1635421151.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 446
  • image-2430118241.jpg
    image-2430118241.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 424

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It just looks so elementary. I love the lock screen and parallax, and the new features are amazing, but the look of the white status bars just isn't appealing to me. I just thought iOS was beautiful before, I think now its just mainstream. I don't know why this flat thing is so popular now, what's wrong with the gloss and such? It would be nice if we at least got to choose the UI look.
I'm really hoping for a jailbreak and iOS 6-like theme before I upgrade though :(

I kind of agree. I don't get the flat look being all popular either. Why? I'd think apple would have retained their own look instead of trying to mimic android or someone else. I love the skewmorphic look myself or whatever it's called. As long as it works smoothly and does what I ask it to then I'm sure it will grow on me. Right off the bat though, I do like the look of my current iOS.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I have to agree with you on the looks. Comparing the settings screen on iOS6 vs 7, I prefer it the way it is now. Not that I'm going to get upset, but I can't really believe this is considered better in any fashion by which I would measure it.

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have to agree with you on the looks. Comparing the settings screen on iOS6 vs 7, I prefer it the way it is now. Not that I'm going to get upset, but I can't really believe this is considered better in any fashion by which I would measure it.

Thats exactly what upsets me, that it is considered better :[ Despite sounding completely superficial, the iPhone did win me over not only because of the phone itself, but because the OS was superior to all other in the way it looks, specifically the keyboard, I will miss it greatly. I will most probably upgrade my iPhone to iOS 7, because the features are definitely worth it. Granted I wont "love" it as much because it will pain me to look at iOS 7.

Im just curious to see how it will appear on the iPad. On the iphone, it can be understandable. People want a "simple" interphase (although I thought it was simple before), and it makes sense to put it on a phone. But to have that look on the beautiful ipad will just be blah. It upsets me that apple is conforming. :[

One of my friends says that the new message and control center designs looks an awluf lot like a ripoff of the Google Hangouts aesthetics. They are already joking that apple will probably sue samsung or google for stealing the design.

Most reactions

Latest posts