What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone buying applecare+ on ipad air 2?

ljmart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
curious how many of you are adding the extended coverage?

my new Air 2 (finally upgrading from original ipad2!) should be here next week but unsure if i should spend ANOTHER $100 bucks!? with so many new changes i sort of feel like i should...but i really don't want to spend that much more...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Every since they added the accident insurance I've purchased AppleCare with all my iOS devices. If nothing else it keeps me from panicking when I, inevitably, drop a device.

Now I just start to panic, then remember that I'll only have to pay a fraction of the price to replace it if it's broke.

So, it's all peace of mind at this point. I've never had to use it.

Well, I did use the tech support once, when all my iCloud documents disappeared. I didn't really have to, but since I was paying anyway I figured I'd see how they did things; instead of just muddling through myself. I do keep backups. As a bonus, I got an extra year free on my iCloud Storage plan by way of apology.

OP
ljmart

ljmart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i go back and forth whether to get it or not...the $650 price is killing me already! think i'm going on about 4 years now and never dropped it...but the first one i bought started having a weird screen issue..TWO days before the one yr warranty was up! i was lucky...but the new untested gen does have me a little nervous. decisions decisions!

thanks for your input!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. It's always a hard decision whether to pay for extra coverage. I've gotten into the habit of planing the extra $100 from the beginning. It helps if I don't keep second guessing myself. :)

dasipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon offers a "Total Protection Plan" on devices purchased through them for $10/month....
It's what I'm using for my iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2......Repair or replacement for as long as the device is linked to a Verizon plan......

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I make it a point to buy the applecare+ for all my devices. Like Twerppoet, I feel better about doing it. It gives me that added sense of protection for my device.

When I first bought my iPhone 5, I opted for the Verizon protection plan. However, I didn't like the deductible you'd have to pay for a replacement if your device went bad. I dropped that and went with Applecare. It certainly paid off, last May when my battery was faulty. Apple replaced me with a new one, without charge! I was a happy camper! :)

OP
ljmart

ljmart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ahh the battery! ok cool...just the type of stuff i need to hear. and just too much at risk for me to be comfortable with...ugh...gotta get it! thanks everyone :)

Sean8500

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nah...square trade less money longer term ADH...tech support can be handled by yourself through Google searches forums FAQs etc...

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By making it a point to decline the optional extra insurance that companies offer for big items like TVs, and computers, (and smaller items like hard drives etc)' I've saved literally thousands of dollars.

I guess personal experiences may vary, but If I were to drop or break my iPad Air right now and had to buy a new one, I'd still be way ahead financially.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
True, I would be ahead financially, not buying AppleCare (or some other insurance). But since I'm not smart enough to save those unspent dollar in a repair/replacement fund, I'd be without a device for several months to a year if one broke, depending on where in my usual cycle toy budgeting I am.

On the other hand I've bought AppleCare six times over about thee years (aprox); so I'd have only saved a bit over one device's worth of replacement cost by now. If I were to drop my most expensive one, the iPhone 6 Plus, I'd break even (pun intended).

It's all a gamble, where you are betting against yourself and hoping to lose. :D

At least, unlike car insurance, it's voluntary.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bought my iPad Air2 today and added Apple Care+ to the bill. Was it a waste of money? I don't know. I will know however if I have a problem with it in the next two years , and because they have given me a number to phone that has a real person at the other end of the line, I know my problem will be solved or I will be given a new iPad. Or if I drop it and crack that screen....no debates about whose fault it was and warranty period. Just pay $65 (AUD) and take a new iPad Air2 home. I guess that is what insurance is about...a bit like playing my favourite game of poker: Texas Hold'em:D
Andrew

Last edited:
OP
ljmart

ljmart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
agree with everything everyone has said! yes waaaay overpriced.

but...The OB has a very good point. my biggest gripe is it should be 3 yrs for that kind of money. i did add it when i received my new toy monday. it is so darn lightweight i am afraid i'll drop it!! what a change from the old brick!

OP
ljmart

ljmart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i feel better now....cash poor..but now worry free for 2 years!

Most reactions

Latest posts