What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody like me?: Love the iPad, but prefer Android phones over the iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, the be fair to that guy, it is a bit harder to theme the status bar and that kind of stuff on Android phones than on an iPhone. Other than changing kernel stuff, it's easier to do a lot of stuff on the iPhone than on Android. Now if you take two completely stock phones, that's a completely different story. But after each device is rooted/jail broken, I believe iPhones win in customization. Especially is ease of customization. You don't have to go scouring the Internet for a thread about some theme some guy posted, that is only available specifically for the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, you simply load up Cydia and hit Themes.

In the end, they both have pros and cons. They're about even in my book, at 48/48, with Windows Phone taking the last 4% lol

You are SOOOOOOO wrong about this! IF you want to add rooting/jailbreaking into the mix then Android FAR out does iOS. Something called Theme Chooser that is built into most of the more popular Android ROMS. Just download a theme, install it then use Theme Chooser to apply! Changes icons, status bar, menus, etc...depending on the theme creator...

I have an iPad & it's jailbroken and love it...for what it can do. But the guy in the video posted KNOWS what he's talking about. I can do almost any tweak to Android...usually all you have to do is boot into recovery & flash a zip file for many tweaks. But this guy taught me a few new tricks! Thanks for those videos by the way (to the guy that posted them!)

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, but you have to have a phone that has people devving for it. You never have that problem with ios. And with those tweaks, generally speaking, you can't just load an app store kinda thing like Cydia, you have to go to a forum, find where it is, and do that for each thing. I'm not saying Android cant do as much as an iPhone, I'm saying iPhone is easier on a lot of things. I've always wished we had a Cydia type thing for Android, that's be cool. And until then, Verizon needs to straighten up and release ICS for my rezound so we can get some decent ROMs goin again lol

[Moderator edit: Cleaned up language. Please remember that this is a family-friendly forum. Thanks.]

Last edited by a moderator:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mikespe said:
... Android...usually all you have to do is boot into recovery & flash a zip file for many tweaks. But this guy taught me a few new tricks! Thanks for those videos by the way (to the guy that posted them!)

Are you joking here. I'm a computer geek, and this sounds crazy geek. It's much simpler to deal with jailbreak and downloading cydia themes and tweaks.

This is what I get from android users all the time. They are so in love with technology that they fail to see how most people have no such interests and just want to do some things easily and get into their real interests.

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kilofox said:
I text using Google Voice. Same single thread on my iPad, ex-iPhone 4S, present RAZR Maxx, Work PC, Home iMac, friends computer etc etc... plus it's free and saves me $10 a month.

I use LastPass for secure passwords and bookmarks. Works on all the devices I listed prior. Albeit, it costs $12 annually, but well worth it IMO.

Exchange does appointments as well as contacts... its free and is one of the mail/contact/calendar options that comes stock with the iPhone. All Push too.

I haven't even touched on DropBox... but before I go any further, I am not suggesting that what I do is better than what you do... its just a different way of doing the same thing IMO. Regardless... people should do what they find best for them.. its all good!

You kinda made my point by listing three different apps to replace iCloud. And I'll bet there are more you didn't list. Definitely a "different" way to replace ICloud. Have fun with that.

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
EvilMonkey said:
All of that is easily done with Android (and it'll sync with the phone, your iPad (or iPhone), your PC and pretty much any other device). It's hardly remarkable or unique to iOS, so I'm not sure what you're going on about. My calendar appointments, emails, messages, and favorites (and various other things) have synced across my Android phone, iPad, and my PC for years now. It's nothing special or anything that only iOS does. I don't even think about it any more. I make a favorite in IE (or Chrome, or Firefox) on my PC, and it's on all my other devices in about 5 seconds. All my messages are everywhere, my files are everywhere, etc. I can make appointments on any device and they show up on everything else.

Don't get me wrong...I like that you're excited about it, but it's kind of like "welcome to a few years ago" as far as I'm concerned.

As for the original topic, you couldn't pay me enough to use an iPhone. I like my iPad, but the iPhone is very limited and dumbed down for what I want a phone to be able to do (my two cents).

If you want to take the time to set it up and maintain. What drove me to Apple was I didn't want to mess with that kind of stuff.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you joking here. I'm a computer geek, and this sounds crazy geek. It's much simpler to deal with jailbreak and downloading cydia themes and tweaks.

This is what I get from android users all the time. They are so in love with technology that they fail to see how most people have no such interests and just want to do some things easily and get into their real interests.

Also, in the "ease of use" talk. It is much easier to jailbreak an iPhone than a droid, especially with the recent absinthe JB. Plug in, hit jailbreak, done. Never was it that easy with any of my droids.

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Ya better do your research bud...theme chooser all you do is push a button then click OK? Is that too difficult for you? That's the problem with iOS users...they fail to see that not everyone like to be sheep & all have the same device!

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, in the "ease of use" talk. It is much easier to jailbreak an iPhone than a droid, especially with the recent absinthe JB. Plug in, hit jailbreak, done. Never was it that easy with any of my droids.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Easier? You do EXACTLY the same as iOS...plug your device into a computer & click ROOT on the rooting program you're using. JUST as easy, doesn't install all sorts of EXTRAS like Cydia...only superuser which you never have to open unless an app needs root access ...just modifies a file or 2 to root. It's doesn't add all the BLOAT to your device.

This is exactly why you can't have a civilized conversation comparing Android to iOS. This thread started off great then a few MISINFORMED iOS users spread FALSE information & turn this thread into an "My OS is better than your OS!"

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, everyone - take a step back and a deep breath. Refrain from personal attacks on members for their choice of operating systems. This thread will continue if - and only if - everyone here maintains respect for all other member. There will be no name-calling and no put downs.

This is the only - and last - warning for this thread. Keep it civil, people.

Thank you.

Marilyn
Moderator, iPadForums.net

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Easier? You do EXACTLY the same as iOS...plug your device into a computer & click ROOT on the rooting program you're using. JUST as easy, doesn't install all sorts of EXTRAS like Cydia...only superuser which you never have to open unless an app needs root access ...just modifies a file or 2 to root. It's doesn't add all the BLOAT to your device.

This is exactly why you can't have a civilized conversation comparing Android to iOS. This thread started off great then a few MISINFORMED iOS users spread FALSE information & turn this thread into an "My OS is better than your OS!"

I believe the reason why you cannot have a civilized conversation is because not taking his own advice, iPhone users are referred to as "sheep". (very polite)

Sorry Mickey330, I had to.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seneca18 said:
I believe the reason why you cannot have a civilized conversation is because not taking his own advice, iPhone users are referred to as "sheep". (very polite)

Sorry Mickey330, I had to.

You were warned yet you chose to ignore the request of a moderator. This thread is now closed.

The Archangel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts