1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Anybody like me?: Love the iPad, but prefer Android phones over the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by kilofox, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kilofox

kilofox iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I know some may think this is weird... but I detest android tablets (and I have owned a few), but I really like android phones over the iPhone (including the 4S).

I love my 32gb 4G iPad... and will soon be rocking the Galaxy SIII at the end of this month.

Anybody else share the same preference?
  2. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    I have an android phone and i detest it.
  3. kilofox

kilofox iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You wont detest this one: Samsung GALAXY S III :)
  4. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    I hate the android OS
  5. Sissy526

Sissy526 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I don't know the value of this kind of thread in an iPad forum but you're not alone. However, that may be because I've never tried an iPhone. I have the Galaxy S 2 and I like it and the versatility. I just got an iPad 2 and am still getting familiar with iOS again (used to use various iPods) and so far it's a good experience. I would like to get away from the iOS vs Android war, though.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rperez414

Rperez414 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Before iCloud I hated moving data back and forth between my phone and iPad. Now, I can't imagine using an Android phone which is walled off from my iPad.

I can send texts, setup appointments, to do items on my phone during the day and pick right up where I left off on my couch with my iPad.
  7. kilofox

kilofox iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have the exact same sentiments... and, for me, the iPhone is just too small. My counter point in the tablet world, is the android tablets are great until you try to use them in portrait mode. In portrait, android tablets become too awkward compared to the iPad.

The iPad is the perfect table ergonomically speaking... and for now, OS wise its the king too. (for me that is)

The main point that I am making is: WM, IOS, Android... they're all good. You dont have to pigeon-hole yourself to one OS. Believe it or not... it just possible to enjoy both!

Its all good.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  8. kilofox

kilofox iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    No question iCloud is great for what you are doing. I use Exchange and Dropbox instead. I feel it gives me more options in the future than iCloud. But thats just me.
  9. Rperez414

Rperez414 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Exchange & Dropbox are not the same. Not even close.

I can literally text from a single thread on my iPad or my phone. I can save a website as a favorite on my iPad and later when I pick my phone, it's in my favorites. Calendar appointments etc I could go on and on with benefits you can't find on Dropbox or its equivalents. But if you've never used an iPhone/iPad combo, you won't mind cuz you don't know any better.

I'm the opposite of you, I like the iPhone but preferred Android Tablets for their openness (SD Card) and flash capability. But the headaches with info sharing are not worth the hassle for me. I'm too busy to mess with data all the time.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  10. Hissyfits

Hissyfits iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I own both and found the iPhone was much easier to play games. The android however was much more differcult. There is such a vast amount of android phones out there that don't support games very well. Playing angry birds was a breeze on iPhone and a nightmare on android. Android phone was differcult to maneuver the birds and often didn't respond to my finger teaching the screen. IPhone is one prototype. All apps respond well to it.
  11. seneca18

seneca18 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I had multiple android devices and really didn't have many complaints about them at the time. However, in October Sprint got the iPhone and that is exactly when my upgrade was due so already owning a iPad 2 I figured I would give it a shot. Now, I can say I would never go back. The two just work and interact so well together that it makes it soooo convenient.
  12. Rperez414

Rperez414 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    It's not even about one is being "better" than the other. The thing is, when you have one foot in each camp, you lose the symbiotic relationship of two devices really being one. If I had to have an Android phone, I wouldnt hesitate to sell my iPad and get an android tablet.

iOS is better than Android in my book. But having android phone + iOS tablet is worse than android phone + android tablet.
  13. kilofox

kilofox iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I text using Google Voice. Same single thread on my iPad, ex-iPhone 4S, present RAZR Maxx, Work PC, Home iMac, friends computer etc etc... plus it's free and saves me $10 a month.

I use LastPass for secure passwords and bookmarks. Works on all the devices I listed prior. Albeit, it costs $12 annually, but well worth it IMO.

Exchange does appointments as well as contacts... its free and is one of the mail/contact/calendar options that comes stock with the iPhone. All Push too.

I haven't even touched on DropBox... but before I go any further, I am not suggesting that what I do is better than what you do... its just a different way of doing the same thing IMO. Regardless... people should do what they find best for them.. its all good!
  14. NoNoBadDog

NoNoBadDog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Yes, I love my iPad. Yes, I love my Android phone. It kicks iPhone butt. Bigger screen. User replaceable/upgrade able battery. Faster processor. SD card slot for expansion. Far more customizable interface. Every app that I had on my iPhone has the exact equivalent on Android. Plus, I can actually use it to make phone calls, something that my old iPhone was notoriously finicky about. And the best reason? I don't have to synch it with iTunes....

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 6mildollarman

6mildollarman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Quite the rebellious thread... I like it!

As an AT&T customer, my first iPhone was the debut model back in 2007, and I've owned every model released since then up to the 4s. I plan on getting the 5 when it comes out this year. I'm pretty much ingrained to he iPhone and I do enjoy it's features.

With that said, my fiancée is with T-mobile (parents' family plan) and she owns the Samsung Galaxy SII. I have to say that it's a pretty impressive phone based on the features listed on this thread. And I believe that Samsung makes quality products. Most of my phones before the iPhone were Samsung and have never given me problems. I don't have much experience with Android devices or their OS but my fiancée definitely prefers it over iOS. She's looking forward to the SIII (and so am I, lol!). I did get a chance to play around with a friend's Galaxy Note. I can see why folks are referring to it as the iPad Nano.

Now IF I were to jump ship, I would go with Siri's recommendation of the "best smart phone ever":p the Nokia Lumia 900. Yes, it's Windows-based, but wow, it's is dang impressive. Even the magazine Mac Life has dubbed it the "iPhone killer"! And that's saying a lot coming from a publication dedicated to all things Apple. They had a full review on it and gave it some impressive accolades, particularly the feature that it can be integrated with iOS devices (like the iPad). They even preferred the display over the 4s. Let's see what the iPhone 5 brings to the table...

All in all, I share the sentiment that we can enjoy multiple platforms. Market competition is good,it keeps product developers on their toes, and we the consumer benefit from these latest tech advancements with every product improvement.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Agreed on the value of competition. I hope both OSs thrive, and would like to see more competition, no matter what I buy.

I switched to Android after three generations of iPhone (3G, 4 and 4S) and am really happy with my Samsung Galaxy Note.

There are advantages and tradeoffs to both OSs, I find. Neither gives me all the features I want.

I'm not loyal to any brand or operating system. Each time I buy a device, I compare against what else I could buy and go with what's best for my uses at the time.
  17. EvilMonkey

EvilMonkey iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    All of that is easily done with Android (and it'll sync with the phone, your iPad (or iPhone), your PC and pretty much any other device). It's hardly remarkable or unique to iOS, so I'm not sure what you're going on about. My calendar appointments, emails, messages, and favorites (and various other things) have synced across my Android phone, iPad, and my PC for years now. It's nothing special or anything that only iOS does. I don't even think about it any more. I make a favorite in IE (or Chrome, or Firefox) on my PC, and it's on all my other devices in about 5 seconds. All my messages are everywhere, my files are everywhere, etc. I can make appointments on any device and they show up on everything else.

Don't get me wrong...I like that you're excited about it, but it's kind of like "welcome to a few years ago" as far as I'm concerned.

As for the original topic, you couldn't pay me enough to use an iPhone. I like my iPad, but the iPhone is very limited and dumbed down for what I want a phone to be able to do (my two cents).
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  18. petermillard

petermillard iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    And similarly, I have no idea what an Android phone would do for me that iPhone doesn't <shrug> I think it's great that we have the choice, but personally I have no need for a over-sized phone or 'phablet' - but that's just me. I don't want a wide-screen iPhone either, and if the rumours of a 16:9 iPhone 5 turn out to be true, then I don't think I'll be upgrading for a while.

My two-penneth ;)
  19. NoNoBadDog

NoNoBadDog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Yeah, I'll have to agree that the iPhone is too dumbed down. I guess that is okay for someone who isn't concerned with adapting a device to individual needs and preferences...but for anyone that wants even a little control over the way their device is configured, the iPhone isn't even a option. Unless all you want is a choice of th color of the case you buy for it.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf
  20. EvilMonkey

EvilMonkey iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Don't get me wrong, I know exactly what an iPhone does. If you're serious and you have no idea what Android does that the iPhone doesn't (more accurately, iOS doesn't) then I'd be happy to help. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but Android does quite a bit if you're willing to get past the fanboyish comments on the internet from people who probably haven't used both (ignorance is bliss, they say).

But I highly suggest you (or anyone who actually wants to know what some of the major differences are) view these videos. There are 5 of them and they are longish (and Android-biased), but they compare the major features of both OS's. The speaker does make a few mistakes (like he says Android has a 15 second free trial of any app, but it's 15 minutes, and he apparently doesn't know about the long-press to get the magnifying glass in iOS to place the cursor) but for the most part, it's pretty accurate.

EDIT: I tried to post the links, but this stupid forum software kept embedding the videos no matter what I tried, so I'll just post the first one and you can find the other 4 easily enough from Youtube.

I hope they help.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.