What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Interested In Starting A Petition About Keeping The Orientation Lock Button ?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is it that Apple thinks they can just change something that their product was delivered with; without allowing the consumer who bought the device to choose to keep the feature as it was delivered?
* Specifications subject to change without notice.

elmateo487

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is it that Apple thinks they can just change something that their product was delivered with; without allowing the consumer who bought the device to choose to keep the feature as it was delivered? I can understand product enhancements with a new firmware; but when you make changes to how the buttons work I'd say they are stepping outside of the boundaries of what is 'fair' to the consumer. Why can't they just make the decrease volume go to mute if you double-click on it; and the volume re-set by pressing the increase vol twice?? Seems like a simple solution (to me)...

So.. what if I want to just lower the volume two clicks? Terrible idea.

and p.s. it is their product. They choose what it has, and does not have. If you don't like that, don't upgrade. Because SURELY future renditions of the iPad and or iPad software won't be EXACTLY the same just for the benefit of previous buyers!?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So.. what if I want to just lower the volume two clicks? Terrible idea.

and p.s. it is their product. They choose what it has, and does not have. If you don't like that, don't upgrade. Because SURELY future renditions of the iPad and or iPad software won't be EXACTLY the same just for the benefit of previous buyers!?

Yeah sure, that's a valid option. Then when apps start requiring OS 4.x you will have no choice anyhow. There is a difference I think between changing software features and changing the behavior of the actual buttons. The very basic documentation that comes with the iPad shows that switch as being a rotation lock. One of the gods in Apple development at some point must have seen this as a useful feature or it surely wouldn't have been included in the first place (Apple doesn't make design mistakes ... right?). In the end it really doesn't matter. Jailbreak it and add the rotation lock toggle to SBSettings and make the device the way you want it to be. It still amazes me that Apple wonders why people feel the need to hack their devices.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My understanding is that the testers wanted the rotation lock, which is why it is there. To be honest the software switch will suit my needs since I have the iPad locked in landscape and never go to portrait. Ever. I despise apps that only work in portrait mode and have down rated a few because of that.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well before running 4.2 betas, I was upset to lose the orientation lock. I would have signed a petition in a heartbeat.

But after using 4.2 I have changed my mind. It is very easy to lock orientation using the task switcher... it is always available in any app.

But the lock button I found myself fumbling for depending on the case that was on iPhone and what orientation it was in at the time.

So I wouldn't sign the petition now. It's not that bad. Try it you might like it too.

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts