What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody else wondering why they made the changes they did to the ipod app in ios5

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabe, does your music in settings look like Rich's? Help! I need to know. Is it just USA?

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
He's probably fallen asleep again! Hee Hee

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A simple yes or no would have been simpler! Sigh! Thanks Gab. I thought I was going round the twist. Rich, don't do that! Yes, I have seen some of those episodes.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks like iTunes match is 12th November for USA. MacDailyNews has said on its website.

Apple has informed developers that as the company prepares for the launch of iTunes Match, they will be deleting all current iCloud libraries on Saturday, November 12th at 10 AM PST, according to multiple trusted sources.
Apple told developers via email, Please turn off iTunes Match on all of your computers and iOS devices. On your computer, choose Store > Turn off iTunes Match. On your iOS device, tap Settings > Music, then turn off iTunes Match. On your Apple TV, please choose Music > Turn off iTunes Match, the sources told MacDailyNews.

iTunes Match is built into the iTunes app on your Mac or PC and the Music app on your iOS devices. It lets you store your entire collection, including music you've imported from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes for US$24.99 a year.

Here's how iTunes Match works: iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to your iCloud library. Since there are 20+ million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud. All you have to upload is anything that iTunes can't match (much faster than starting from scratch). Once your music is in iCloud, you can stream and store it on any of your devices and all the music iTunes matches plays back from iCloud at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free quality even if your original copy was of lower quality.

Source: Apple prepares iTunes Match launch; informs developers of iCloud library deletion on Nov. 12 – MacDailyNews - Welcome Home

Last edited by a moderator:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like iTunes match is 12th November for USA. MacDailyNews has said on its website.

Apple has informed developers that as the company prepares for the launch of iTunes Match, they will be deleting all current iCloud libraries on Saturday, November 12th at 10 AM PST, according to multiple trusted sources.
Apple told developers via email, Please turn off iTunes Match on all of your computers and iOS devices. On your computer, choose Store > Turn off iTunes Match. On your iOS device, tap Settings > Music, then turn off iTunes Match. On your Apple TV, please choose Music > Turn off iTunes Match, the sources told MacDailyNews.

iTunes Match is built into the iTunes app on your Mac or PC and the Music app on your iOS devices. It lets you store your entire collection, including music you've imported from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes for US$24.99 a year.

Here's how iTunes Match works: iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to your iCloud library. Since there are 20+ million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud. All you have to upload is anything that iTunes can't match (much faster than starting from scratch). Once your music is in iCloud, you can stream and store it on any of your devices and all the music iTunes matches plays back from iCloud at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free quality even if your original copy was of lower quality.

Source: Apple prepares iTunes Match launch; informs developers of iCloud library deletion on Nov. 12 – MacDailyNews - Welcome Home

Thanks for that Haley! Nothing here so far. It will require an iTunes update (just checked, no update available yet). However when that hits I'd expect iTunes Match won't be far behind!

I noticed that after being able to turn iTunes Match on on my iPad a couple of days ago, it managed to turn itself off at some point. I tried turning it on again today and although I received the popup telling me that I'm not subscribed and to do so on iTunes on my computer, it did turn on again and re-added the "Show All Music" option.

IMG_0009.PNG

I tried it on my iPhone but no love...just displayed the error message.

Apple has had developers turn off their iTunes accounts and wiped all of their iCloud iTunes storage a couple of times previously, so it sounds like it might be getting closer anyway.

carl 11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried mine, I have the secondary window show all music appearing now, and got the same message after trying to log on, a pop tells me to log in via computer.....*shrugs*

carl 11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow, well, I don't have-

lyrics and podcast info as a choice, nor do I have shake to shuffle .....

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The more I think about what Apple has done with the Music App, the more I'm wondering if all of the changes aren't based on the upcoming iTunes Match service? It was supposed to be launched on or about the same time as iOS 5...but that didn't happen. Perhaps we're just experiencing a "crippled" version of the Music App?

I can see where lyrics and some other "tagged" features may have conflicts with what's going to be stored in the iCloud/iTunes Match database and those on user's computers. To avoid a clash and the resulting complaints, as well as reduce data storage requirements, I can see Apple making the decision not include some features that the iPod App had. I don't know that I like it, but I can understand why that might be the case. It's also possible that we'll be rewarded with restored or new functionality when iTunes Match is launched. One can only hope.

The bottom line is that we all know that Apple's app features are not static and historically most have seen improvements over time so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whatever iTunes Match (and the Music App) offer initially, it will continue to be a work in progress and like fine wine will improve with time.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The more I think about what Apple has done with the Music App, the more I'm wondering if all of the changes aren't based on the upcoming iTunes Match service? It was supposed to be launched on or about the same time as iOS 5...but that didn't happen. Perhaps we're just experiencing a "crippled" version of the Music App?

I can see where lyrics and some other "tagged" features may have conflicts with what's going to be stored in the iCloud/iTunes Match database and those on user's computers. To avoid a clash and the resulting complaints, as well as reduce data storage requirements, I can see Apple making the decision not include some features that the iPod App had. I don't know that I like it, but I can understand why that might be the case. It's also possible that we'll be rewarded with restored or new functionality when iTunes Match is launched. One can only hope.

The bottom line is that we all know that Apple's app features are not static and historically most have seen improvements over time so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whatever iTunes Match (and the Music App) offer initially, it will continue to be a work in progress and like fine wine will improve with time.

Cripple existing functions to drive customers toward functions that cost, like matching? Could well be the case. That kind of business practice would help tip me toward other hardware options.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cripple existing functions to drive customers toward functions that cost, like matching? Could well be the case. That kind of business practice would help tip me toward other hardware options.
When I said "crippled" I meant at this time. Again, iTunes Match was slated to be available by the end of October...so my WAG was/is that the Music App should have been launched in concert with iTunes Match and perhaps all of the functionality that we had grown accustomed to with the iPod App would have been and may still be available with the Music App once iTunes Match is enabled.

EDIT: I see they just launched iTunes Match! (Where have I been??) Download iTunes 10.5.1 and let us know how it goes...I'm off to do the same. :) (Noted that it's only available in the U.S. to start.)

More about iTunes Match including download link for iTunes 10.5.1 here:

http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipad-news/53636-itune-match-launched.html

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ever the optimist, Rich? Well, maybe you are right. Get back to me quickly and tell me what it's all about. Good news only, mind!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh and Rich, it still crashes the album cover art. Luckily, I just have to close the app in the background and it recovers. I don't have to reset it anymore. So it's still buggy.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iTunes match in UK guys! ITunes 10.5.1 downloading at this moment in UK

Most reactions

Latest posts