What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any way to watch DVR thru ipad 2?

Hollywood06

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way to watch movies i have recorded on my DVR on my ipad or even old VHS movies? i was thinking if there was i could use display recorder and record the movies on my ipad and then moving them to my computer. Not sure if this is possible but just thought i would ask.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can with a slingbox but I think at minimum you have to have the solo model and thats about $170 and then the app is another $30. Once you have the slingbox though you can also watch live TV wherever you have a wifi connection (or 3G/CDMA if your ipad is equipped). I have an older AV model that works with my iPhone but not my iPad, not sure if I want to spend the money to upgrade my unit but it's nice to pull up tv on my phone now and then when I get stuck waiting some where.

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Watching my DVR on my iPad 2 via Slingbox Solo is fantastic. Over 3G or wifi. Couldn't recommend it more. A great way to get both place and time shifted TV.

Alternatively, some DVRs enable you to copy the recordings off the hard disk via USB to your PC which you can then copy into VLC player on your iPad using iTunes. Then you can watch the prog on your iPad on the move without needing connectivity. The Humax PVR9200 (which I have) has this facility, I dont use it though as its a bit of a clunky process and as I nearly always have connectivity I always use my Slingbox.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
plus you can record on the road, by having full control over your dvr, with the built in remote in the app(slingplayer,$30), available for desktops too(free).

slingbox solo is good enough, but there is a slingbox HD.
prob find used online.

basically you have access thru internet.

stayin100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dish network is offering a free sling adaptor to all new customers, are you in contract with your current tv provider?

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never checked out the HD model just because I figured since you were streaming you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in clarity between the HD and Solo model. Has anyone tried both and can you see a difference?

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the iPad Slingbox app only works with the HD Slingboxes, I have the Slingbox Solo HD. I also have the the iPhone Slingbox app running on my iPad which works with my old original Slingbox Classic. Scaled up on the iPad is good enough but not as good resolution as the proper iPad app with the Solo.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant the HD Pro model when I said HD. I ended up getting the solo yesterday, BestBuy knocked $30 off the price (sale they are having right now) but didn't wan't to fork out the $299 for the HD Pro... plus I don't have any other devices to connect to it. Quality is pretty decent, need to look into upgrading my cable box (it's old, they probably have a newer model I can exchange it for) as I'm just running standard definition now. Convenient to have though :)

Most reactions

Latest posts