What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any way to sync time?

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it possible to sync iPad's clock over the internet or over iTunes (or some alternative means)? I've read NTP is disabled and apps developers are not allowed to make an app to set the clock (however, that articles were over a year old, so I was hoping something has changed in the meantime...).

If there's no other way but to set it manually -- is there any info on when the "new" time you enter is actually "accepted" by the system? I.e. on some computers clicking OK or Apply is the trigger point of the new time, plus you can also see (or re/set) seconds so setting the correct time is a breeze.

The clock isn't particularly accurate, and not being able to sync it either over the internet or thru iTunes just makes it harder to set it up properly.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Commodore said:
Is it possible to sync iPad's clock over the internet or over iTunes (or some alternative means)? I've read NTP is disabled and apps developers are not allowed to make an app to set the clock (however, that articles were over a year old, so I was hoping something has changed in the meantime...).

If there's no other way but to set it manually -- is there any info on when the "new" time you enter is actually "accepted" by the system? I.e. on some computers clicking OK or Apply is the trigger point of the new time, plus you can also see (or re/set) seconds so setting the correct time is a breeze.

The clock isn't particularly accurate, and not being able to sync it either over the internet or thru iTunes just makes it harder to set it up properly.

You don't have to set the clock manually, it's all automatic. As soon as your iPad has your location, the clock displays the correct time. As you change time zones while traveling, the clock adjusts to the correct local time. I've found the clock to be extremely accurate and there has never been a need to reset it.

Last edited:
OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not automatic, otherwise I wouldn't be asking this. And no, I don't use location services (if that's the only way -- but even so, if you don't change timezones, this means clock never syncs anyway?), as they are of no use to me.
One time I did try location services in relation to the clock, but it would totally mess it up -- it put me two time zones away (~2000 km I think).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All I did was go to Settings>General>Date&Time and turn the Set Automatically switch to on. My correct time was instantly displayed and is always correct.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Location services can be tricky on a wi-fi only iPad. It depends on how accurate the database is for the local wi-fi networks, and you have to be connected to the internet as well, at least long enough to download the part of the database the covers your current location.

In a rural area it can be barely usable to useless. Usually works fairly well in cities though.

That said. There is no way to have the clock set automatically without location services turned on.

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yup, wifi only, and judging by the locations reported on a laptop in Facebook (and others who try to figure it out based on IPs), it's different each time (kinda funny, tho' :D ). I don't mind. But iPad was the absolute winner as it was able to move me from Frankfurt time zone all the way to Moscow.

Guess Apple is really desperate on having our location and movements tracked, by demanding to have these services on if you want to work with photos, and apparently if you want to have some sort of an accurate clock... :thumbsdown:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPod touch 4 is wifi only and keeps decent time automatically even when changing time zones/countries, as long as I hook up to wifi now and again, which I do anyway to load content. Most of the time, I keep it on airplane mode.

I have location services on it only for the Find My iPod app and maps, which works only when it's online, of course.

I've noticed that among my iDevices (all with 3G or 4G except for the touch), time is often a minute off among them. I tend to frequent big cities, rather than rural areas, though.

Most reactions

Latest posts