Any way to read my ISP web based Flash email

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by glen4cindy, Oct 24, 2010.

1. glen4cindy

glen4cindy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I like to access my email via the web client, because I typically access it from several different PC's, therefore, using Outlook, or Outlook Express would be counter productive to doing it this way, unless I programmed it to leave the files on the server.

Anyway, my ISP, Charter Communications, several months ago, re-wrote the entire web interface and now, it's a flash based webpage, and it really sucks, but, I would none the less, love to be able to access my email from the iPad.

I am jailbroken, but, still don't know of any way to do this. I have looked for POP3 clients, but, as far as I know, I don't remember finding anything.

Can anyone point me in the direction that would allow me to do this? Free is better, if not free, the less it is of course, the better it is.

Thanks so much.

2. BrennB

BrennB
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Do they have a mobile access site? Like. M.blablah.com

3. glen4cindy

glen4cindy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Not exactly.

They offer these as the mobile instructions:

• Username: username@charter.net (make sure you enter @charter.net after your username or you will be unable to login)
    • Password: the password you use to login to your e-mail account
    • SSL: this setting should be on for both SMTP and IMAP
    • SMTP: mobile.charter.net
    • Port: 587 (Note: If you cannot specify a port on your device, try mobile.charter.net:587)
    • IMAP: mobile.charter.net
    • Port: 993 (Note: If you cannot specify a port on your device, try mobile.charter.net:993)
    • If applicable: a login will be required when sending and receiving mail.

4. BrennB

BrennB
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Why not try those settings in the mail app? Use smtp so your messages stay on server instead of imap which syncs..

5. glen4cindy

glen4cindy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Had not thought about that, i'm using Gmail in the Mail app.

Can I set more than 1 account with the Mail app?

If not, I'm sure I could always use Safari to read Gmail.

Thanks.

6. BrennB

BrennB
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I have 3 email accounts from 3 different sources set up. No problems. One is gmail, one is work dsl server, one is home mail pop3...

7. glen4cindy

glen4cindy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Worked great. Thank you very much. Didn't know I could do that, but I finally figured it out.

8. BrennB

BrennB
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Excellent!

9. Godofbeer

Godofbeer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Use gmail to do all the lifting for you

Another suggestion is to setup Gmail to grab the other mailboxes for you. Then, you have the simplicity of a single inbox on your phone or desktop system(s). In the Gmail settings section, there's an 'Accounts and import' sub-section where you can enter in email hosts that you want to grab from. I think the limit is five. This has the added advantage of using Gmail's anti-spam capabilities, and usually, only good stuff ends up in your inbox. I use this approach for email addresses that I have to monitor, but that I don't want to see individual mailbox objects either on my desktop or hand-held devices. Only caveat is that Gmail only polls the email sources every 20 minutes. If Gmail is actually open on a real desktop, the mailboxes are polled each time you click 'refresh', but in the hand-held world, you'll probably have to wait the full 20 minutes. At least this is the way it worked on my Blackberry. I'm only a recent Iphone convert and have noted there are a few differences between what at first glance appear to be identical services between the Blackberry vs. Iphone options. W.

10. cowboychincs

cowboychincs
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:

Hi there... so what would change in the info that glen4cindy wrote in her message?

I am also a new iPad user and from the PC world... and am interested in getting my email from charter's web based server and NOT synching the email to my iPad.. but rather reading it and responding to it via my iPad when out roaming around... and keeping the email only synched at home on my PC.

Many thanks in advance for any help!!