What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any way to delay PIN?

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there any way, official or not, to delay iPad's asking for PIN after resuming it? E.g. if it's just gone to sleep, you get, say, 2 minutes of "grace period", within which pressing the Home button to wake it up won't ask you for the PIN yet.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My understanding is once your iPad is put to sleep, when awaken that PIN code entry pops up. That is the intent of the passcode to ensure security to your iPad.

You can lengthen your auto lock time before it shuts off by going to settings/general/auto lock. There you can change your time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Once you enable the passcode you get more settings.

Go to Settings > General > Passcode Lock and select it. If it's already on you'll need to enter your passcode. If it's off you'll need to select and enter a new passcode, twice.

Once on you have a Require Passcode option. The choices are: immediately, 1 min, 2 min, 15 min, 1 hr, and 4 hr.

I'm not sure what all the subtleties of timing are between the Auto-Lock and Passcode Lock settings; but in general; if the iPad screen locks but the passcode lock has not timed out you will get the slide to unlock screen instead of the passcode enter screen when waking the device.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once you enable the passcode you get more settings.

Go to Settings > General > Passcode Lock and select it. If it's already on you'll need to enter your passcode. If it's off you'll need to select and enter a new passcode, twice.

Once on you have a Require Passcode option. The choices are: immediately, 1 min, 2 min, 15 min, 1 hr, and 4 hr.

I'm not sure what all the subtleties of timing are between the Auto-Lock and Passcode Lock settings; but in general; if the iPad screen locks but the passcode lock has not timed out you will get the slide to unlock screen instead of the passcode enter screen when waking the device.

That's good to know, Twerppoet. I didn't realize that there were options for timing out when having a passcode. Thank you for setting me straight with this!:)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

And another little nugget of knowledge, you lose the 4 hour option IF you set the "Erase Data" option to ON. The maximum you can then set is 1 hour :D

That one really used to confuse me, as I would set the 1st option to 4 hours then when I went to check it later on I'd be shocked to find 1) it was set to 1 hour, and 2) there was no longer a 4 hour option available! For a while I thought I was going mad... ;)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's good to know, Twerppoet. I didn't realize that there were options for timing out when having a passcode. Thank you for setting me straight with this!:)

No problem. I looked because I kind of half remembered seeing it before. I never use passcode myself.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
And another little nugget of knowledge, you lose the 4 hour option IF you set the "Erase Data" option to ON. The maximum you can then set is 1 hour :D

That one really used to confuse me, as I would set the 1st option to 4 hours then when I went to check it later on I'd be shocked to find 1) it was set to 1 hour, and 2) there was no longer a 4 hour option available! For a while I thought I was going mad... ;)

Nice to know. That would drive me crazy too, or mad, mad I tell you.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. I looked because I kind of half remembered seeing it before. I never use passcode myself.

I guess I was confusing it with my own experience of the passcode on my personal phone which I used to access my work email. Our hospital began to require all mobile devices to have a passcode of accessing the work email. I was forced to put a passcode on my phone, but had no option to change the time out setting. Each time it went to sleep after a minute, I had to re-type my code back in.

Needless to say, that got old and I quickly deleted that account from phone and iPad.

Again thanks for your knowledge bank, Twerppoet ! :)

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is great, I must have completely missed it when I was setting up things. And it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts