What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any sign of a 'mobile' printer that works with the ipad 2?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of. HP portables do not yet support ePrint or AirPrint options.

Rumors of several are in the pipeline from different manufacturers, however nothing has been announced that I've seen.

We set up a MacBook running FingerPrint to print on an HP Portable at a trade show... It worked well and the MacBook was an old model we picked up for $50...

-t

OP
S

SouthernAtHeart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Not that I'm aware of. HP portables do not yet support ePrint or AirPrint options.

Rumors of several are in the pipeline from different manufacturers, however nothing has been announced that I've seen.

We set up a MacBook running FingerPrint to print on an HP Portable at a trade show... It worked well and the MacBook was an old model we picked up for $50...

-t

I haven't even seen 'rumors'. I've looked at all the major brand printer companies.
Have any links to such rumors?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No links. These are inside industry rumors through our sales and cse engineers.

HP is the most credible, however no date.

-t

OP
S

SouthernAtHeart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
No links. These are inside industry rumors through our sales and cse engineers.

HP is the most credible, however no date.

-t

I'd think there are enough folks wanting a mobile printer to go with their iPad, that someone would jump on the opportunity to get theirs out first.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The problem is historically mobile printers do not sell... It's tough for a company that has had product failures with a market segment in the past to commit to it again.

-t

keithwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
http://iosprinting.blogspot.com

I've found the solution :) I was searching for a long time on this and wanted a soltion that allowed me to print straight from the iPad to a mobile printer (battery operated) without any kind of router in-between.

I bought a 2nd hand HP H470, added a wireless dongle, set it up in adHoc mode (I needed to set a manual IP address on the iPad to get it to work) and magically it works :) The free HP ePrint app sees it and whatever I want to print I can "Open in" and send it there for printing.

Because I couldn't find a definitive answer on the web, I posted a blog up at iosprinting.blogspot.com (this is my 1st post so it won't let me post that as a link) about it with all the details - hope it helps!

OP
S

SouthernAtHeart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
keithwhite said:
I've found the solution :) I was searching for a long time on this and wanted a soltion that allowed me to print straight from the iPad to a mobile printer (battery operated) without any kind of router in-between.

I bought a 2nd hand HP H470, added a wireless dongle, set it up in adHoc mode (I needed to set a manual IP address on the iPad to get it to work) and magically it works :) The free HP ePrint app sees it and whatever I want to print I can "Open in" and send it there for printing.

Because I couldn't find a definitive answer on the web, I posted a blog up at iosprinting.blogspot.com (this is my 1st post so it won't let me post that as a link) about it with all the details - hope it helps!

THAKS! Great to see there's hope to mobililty. With HP, and now Canon adding increasing support for AirPrint, there's likely a new mobile printer soon to come off the assembly line, so i'm a little hesitant to go out and buy an older 470...

Trogladyte

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Was the wireless dongle a generic USB dongle or an official HP dongle designed for the H470?

keithwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was the wireless dongle a generic USB dongle or an official HP dongle designed for the H470?

Hi there - it was the official HP dongle for the H470 (Q6274A) ... I was taking one leap of faith in terms of assuming I could get the H470 to talk to the iPad, it would have been another leap of faith to try a generic dongle!

Most reactions

Latest posts