any SD card or external hard drive that works?

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by kevin32, Dec 28, 2013.

1. kevin32

kevin32
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi. I have an iPad Air MF003LL/A (black). I have music and movies on my computer I want to watch on my ipad. Will someone recommend an SD card or some external hard drive that works well with this model? (I'm not interested in cloud services).

Also, how does it work? Is it simple plug and play, like can the ipad read/play the music from the drive once its plugged in? Or are there other steps I need to take? Just wondering if there are any other accessories or software I need to make sure it works. Thanks.

2. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I believe the only way you can achieve what you want is to sync the media to the device.

3. JewelGarden

JewelGarden
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    You might consider the AirStash, basically a thumb drive that connects to the iPad by creating its own wifi link. It can also read SD cards and stream their content to the iPad. There is an excellent review available here.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-connect/79228-airstash-review.html

Enjoy!

4. kevin32

kevin32
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    My ipad is 32GB. My music and movies are over 100GB. I'm looking for something that can hold all that, but can easily connect to my ipad.

5. zstairlessone

zstairlessone
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I stream mine from iTunes on my computer. I have a 64GB iPad and still way too much music and movies to fit on it.

6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I have about 100GB of mp3s and an untold amount of video. But I'd never want all of that music on any mobile device because most of it I don't like. Very few artist makes albums where I like every song, or even most songs. I'm way more selective with movies, however, and nearly anything I own there I can watch and enjoy anytime, but for me, music is so hit and miss.

7. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The seagate 500 gb wifi hard drive is perfect solution. We have a dedicated forum call iPad connect that covers your needs.
    http://www.ipadforums.net/portable-wifi-drives/

These products have excellent apps and can support upto 5 users at once streaming movies to several devices. Other USB devices are also available

8. DavidM

DavidM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
  9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello, you've received multiple suggestions - a Wi-Fi drive might be your best option (links have been given); however, SD cards do come in 64 GB & 128 GB sizes, but are not cheap (Amazon HERE). I own the AirStash linked above - w/ a high capacity SD card this option should work also - this Wi-Fi device comes in 2 models, so if you do decide on the purchase of a SDXC card, then buy the appropriate product. Dave

10. Frawick

Frawick
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have found the ApoTop Wi-Reader to be very good at not only streaming from SD cards, but also serving as a wi-fi hub when connected to ethernet LAN's. You can find them on Newegg and Amazon.