What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Navy Aviators out there

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am trying to put a presentation together in Keynote. Basically, I am looking to see how in Numbers/excel I can?

The problem, a ship/platform is moving in a compass direction (360 deg) the relative wind is coming from a compass direction (360 deg) pilot decides to approach said platform from what is the best available direction to give some sort of, if possible, into wind effect.

Now I have a 30 degree vector picture (12 for a 360 panorama of the landing ship/platform)

I'd like to be able to enter the ship/platform heading where this would give me the best available into wind effect and from there be able to see the picture of what the platform/ship approach will look like?

Anybody any ideas where to start?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't see any way to do that in Keynote. You can't do computations and apply them, nor can you use a spread sheet and have it update in Keynote. It might be possible using PowerPoint and Excel on a computer, but I'm pretty sure that kind of sheet/file linking is not possible on the iPad versions.

The only thing I can think of that might do the job is Codea, a game/physics programing app for the iPad. You'd have to learn a bit of programming in Lua, but not a lot. This kind of simulation should be easy(ish).

You'd have to do the presentation from the iPad, pop out of Keynote for the simulation, then go back to your Keynote.

Of course, if you don't need a Iive demo, but just preset simulation of how it would look if it worked, you might manage something in Keynote with transitions, videos, and/or GIFs.

I'll keep bouncing it around in my head and see if anything else occurs to me, but I don't see it at the moment.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi TP and many thanks for your advice as always its valued.

I am not sure that I am explaining myself very well. So I'll try to do it in real terms. The scenario; I am flying out to a moving platform, maybe a support ship, maybe a rig being transported to the field where it will eventually start to work. Its going to be going in a direction and @ a speed. Lets say for instance, that the ship is heading South Westerly or steering a compass heading of 235 degrees @ 15 knots. The wind thats forecast today is from the North (360 Deg at 25 knots) (I'm not clever enough to draw a little draw al little diagram on here) but if you do it will help you. Now I want to approach and land the helicopter as near to into the wind as I can. So in this case I position myself south of the ship and approach. Trouble is from the south approach I can't see the Landing Point because there is a huge generator and a crane in the way. so I have to come in from another direction where I can see the Landing Point.

I truly want to have some of the into wind affect (from the North remember) so I visually set myself up as best I can. Thats the problem.

I thought a spreadsheet, be it numbers (preferred) or excel I could end up entering the ships heading (235) in this case, enter the wind direction in another (360) in this case and that, in turn would give me the picture (Library) of what the approach would look like, i.e., as in this case, there is something in the way.

Maybe, the bit about the presentation was a bit too premature, if it ever works (Spreadsheet) I can simply incorporate it into keynote.

Now I expect thats what you thought I was asking in the first place and your answer remains the same but as always I value your support. If you remember I did the Flight management system in Codea and LUA worked well but I eventually made the demo work in keynote.

as always Sir you are a star.

Most reactions

Latest posts