What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Law Enforcement agencies using iPads

GilmoreD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am with a small department of 9 patrol Deputies. We are just starting to use CAD (computer aided dispatch). Instead of using mobile data computers, we are exploring the option of using iPads in our squad. MDC's would run about $7,000 for each unit, all said and done. An iPad would be maybe $900.
Does anyone work for an agency that is using iPads in their squads?
Thanks in advance,
Deputy Dave

DCDave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good day sir. We too are looking at that very idea ourselves. In fact it sounds like we are just a few steps behind you. Any luck with your research? I was wondering the compatibility of an Apple product with CAD.

Mr.Woppit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.usprisonertransport.com
I am the director of Prisoner Transportation in Florida. I bought 27 iPad 2 3G 64GB Black's and gave one to each member of our team. We only really use iMessenger and iCal to organize our moves. I bought them for the development of applications. We are looking to use them for more in the future. Our communication has increased greatly just from the purchase of these iPads. Though $20,000 is a lot of money I believe it is well worth it.

I have done nothing with CAD yet, but we are exploring our options and testing out what works best for us. I will post again if I find any useful apps. Until then, the iPads were just a nice Employee perk.

rbtlen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We use the iPad at Va. State Univ. Police department and if you have a good I.T. department you can do a lot. The best Department to talk to about using the iPad is Waverly Virginia. They are a very small department but travel all over the U.S. showing other departments what is possible with the iPad.

Haddad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys need to check out Interact Software (can't post the link because I don't have 3+ posts, per forum rules)
(I'll try it this way - interact911 dot com)
We currently use them on our laptops and we love it. We can't use them on iPads here because our state version of NLETS won't allow it. However, there are other states LETS allowing them to run on ipads. Not only does it offer a mobile CAD solution, but it works with multiple agencies at once. Right now, when I log in, I can see what every officer, deputy and trooper in the area is doing as long as they're logged in.

I have recently been directed to research the pro's, con's of the use iPads vs the laptop's that we currently use. Any input and updates would be great.

Haddad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to also mention Public Eye by Zco at zco dot com

Most reactions

Latest posts