What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any iPad Apps for sheet music, chords and lyrics?

Chetter0404

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am an amateur musician (bassist/lead vocalist). I just recently got an iPad 3 and intend to use it to replace my music stand and binder with our set lists, chords and lyrics (my memory is not what it use to be). I have purchased the iKlip to secure my iPad to my mic stand but I was wondering if anyone could recommend an App (besides Pages and other word processing apps) to manage my material.

hughsung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to use PDF files, you might want to check out forScore, unrealBook, DeepDish GigBook, NextPage, or MusicReader for iPad.

hughsung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another great app is iReal b for musicians using the RealBook fake book - you can use this app to access thousands of fake book chord charts. No lyrics, but you can edit the charts and transpose on the fly, and even hear audio accompaniment. Pretty nifty app.

pianorainman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use SheetMusicFox - it's completely free, and unlike a lot of other apps, there are no in-app purchases, so downloading sheet music is free as well!

fullcirclew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys I am a newbie at this, got the iGigBook - now I need to get the real book in there-? which Url;s do you guys recommend to download them from?

Gigmaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah. OnSong is nice alright. I bought a new copy for my iPad, and less than a week later, I got annoying pop-ups everytime I open it that says I have to upgrade to a new version. There is no free upgrade and the Apple Store want's $8.99 for the upgrade on a program I just bought. Now, my OnSong refuses to open unless I upgrade. Not for me, thank you. This is one big rip-off.

It's not even that great of a program. It takes forever to get your lyrics and songs intro the program because it is not compatible with any PC programs like my beloved Digital Fake Book on my laptop. Now that's a great program. Unfortunately, they do not make it for iPad. Editing is a nightmare, and half the time, when you try to get your songs from the internet, all you get is gibberish. Again, save your money. OnSong is a big rip-off.

In fact, I think the iPad is something of a rip-off as well, at least from a pro musician point of view. The iTunes player has few features compared to great players like AIMP3 and the Spider Player. It won't stop after each song, requiring you to manually stop it at the end, and it does not allow fading from one song to another. This is a pain when you have your hands full of guitar on stage. It has no Normalization function, and no pre-amp. I've gone back to using my lap top for stage work. iPads seem like just an expensive toy, and unsuited for any real work. Heck, they cost as much as a Laptop, and only do about 1/10th as much.
I may give an Android Tablet a try one of these days, but for now, if you need a good stage tool, get a Windows Laptop, the free AIMP3 Player, and the free Digital FakeBook, and you'll be set for life. And in case your wondering, Mixcraft kicks Garageband's butt all over the place. It does about 100 times more things, and is a pro-musician program, but very easy and intuitive to use. I score radio and TV spots with it all the time. Garageband is just a toy.

Take a look at OnSong. Very Nice.

Last edited:

IRonGuitar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recommend SongBook Chordpro, from Linkesoft. Works stable for chordcharts and tablature,
Works on ALL platforms: on Ipad, Iphone, iOS, Windows (free trial!) an also Android, Palm ...
So if your band crew uses multiple tablets this is THE platformform - crossing songbook!
Editing is easy on a bigger screen, so I prefer doing that on PC or laptop, in the windows version.
Syncing between all my devices ( 2xipad, 2xiphone, Pc.. Etc) works seamlessly with Dropbox (free!)

Search on linkesoft songbook

For pdf and sheetmusic I prefer Forscore, this is also stable on ipad.

Onsong looks nice, integrates chordpro files and pdf , has loads of features, but uses also lots of processor power, which makes it unstable, which you dont want on stage! the creators of OnSong though are working constantly making it better, so maybe in future? And not working on Android...

Gigmaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup! OnSong is the way to go. I've been using it for a few years now, and it does exactly what you need on stage, including playing backing tracks, and scrolling lyrics and chords. And, it very inexpensive. For $12.00 bucks, it's way more than worth it.

Not sure if it does sheet music or not.

Take a look at OnSong. Very Nice.

BassPlaya

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts