What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any iPad 2ers Having Good Success with iOS 8?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was a bit hesitant, but updated last weekend.

All fine for me too. Maybe just a little little lag loading web pages, but things are all working normally as before. All apps work, with the exception of one which the app developers haven't updated since 2013. So, really not the ios8...but problem with the App developer here.

NorPlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
o_O Aside from my notorious Fat Finger Syndrome, still having issues with YouTube... :( As I may have said previously , if I can put it this way.?? The Touch Tap connectivity seems to be lagging, trying to find that sweet spot if you will when tapping the White Dot to advance the YouTube video.. Once you've accomplished that phase , need more than counting to 10 to get the video and sound to catch up...:eek:

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Slowed down when updated" went through and turned off all settings in the settings app. Then did a couple of resets. Went through settings and turned on only those I really need.

Now the only slight delay is on starting an app, and that is only a second. Otherwise all seems as good as IOS 7.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
cruiser111

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, did the 8.0.2 update on my trusty iPad 2. Works fine, even seems a little smoother if that's possible. Glad I did it!

Only oddity is the weather doesn't show up yet in notifications pull down. Probably will soon.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, did the 8.0.2 update on my trusty iPad 2. Works fine, even seems a little smoother if that's possible. Glad I did it!

Only oddity is the weather doesn't show up yet in notifications pull down. Probably will soon.

You have to manually put the weather into the Notification Center. This is due to the change(s) Apple made with the Notification Center by adding the ability to use widgets there.

To get the weather, pull down your Notification Center and go all the way to the bottom where you'll see and "Edit" button/line:

su6ybe6y.jpg

Press it and you will be taken to a settings-like area for the Notification Center:

3avyhuve.jpg

The "Today Summary" is the widget that contains the [old] weather information. It should have a green plus next to it. Tap the plus sign and it should then move to the top of the list that has red minus circles. That's it - it's there.

Note that the Today Summary widget cannot be moved around when it's activated (the others can by holding the three lines and moving them). Guess Apple doesn't want you to have too much freedom. ;)

Regardless, hope that helps you get your weather back in the Notification Center.

Marilyn

OP
cruiser111

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, Marilyn! As usual you are pointedly helpful.

Also, downloaded the Wdgts app you have. Like the calendar - monthly view and the calculator.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Marilyn! As usual you are pointedly helpful.

Also, downloaded the Wdgts app you have. Like the calendar - monthly view and the calculator.

Yeah, I like the calculator right there. Very handy for those quick calculations.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Marilyn

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like some I admit it is early days, however since upgrading it is now so slow it is almost painful to watch. The calendar comes up, for about 30 seconds it is completely blank, which scares me, then day by day the appointments and notes start to appear. Some icons are now almost blank, with odd geometric shapes in stead of what should be there and why does it return to the home screen every time I finish doing something, calendar is the worst one for that. Never happened on IoS 7.
Exactly the same problems I have had!

PHantasy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good day everyone!

It's been two weeks now and I'm still in iOS 7.1.2.

I'd like to ask the original poster's question for the latest iOS (8.0.2). Is it THE stable update?

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sadly no. I still have an iPad with Alzheimer's despite several soft resets, updating to iOS.2 didn't make a blind bit of difference. Can't re download via iTunes as Dont have a computer
What was a hugely pleasant to use piece of kit is now a pain in the butt.this is the first upgrade to cause any problems. I am a techno illiterate and doing a hard reset needs some simple advise. Wish Apple would consider its loyal older customers rather than just iphone 6 ers problems
My advise. Don't do it

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have replied elsewhere on this thread, but suggest you stick with 7 .
A few ipad towers have said it is fine but the vast majority have huge issues, the main overall one being their ipad functioned far more efficiently before they upgraded.i wish I had waited. I also wish Apple would consider working on curing ipad2 bugs in 8 instead of concentrating only on their most recent hardware releases like iphone6

Lulubird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I'm a worrywart and always afraid to do updates for fear of not being able to use my iPad2 if something goes wrong. I failed to ever update to IOS7 and now 8 (whatever it is) is out and I am not sure about being able to update. If I do and have problems will I be able to revert to 7 since they will both apparently be installed at the same time?

Being 74 years old has alot to do with being afraid to venture forth. I love using my iPad but have to admit it scares me sometimes. Any help appreciated.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I'm a worrywart and always afraid to do updates for fear of not being able to use my iPad2 if something goes wrong. I failed to ever update to IOS7 and now 8 (whatever it is) is out and I am not sure about being able to update. If I do and have problems will I be able to revert to 7 since they will both apparently be installed at the same time?

Being 74 years old has alot to do with being afraid to venture forth. I love using my iPad but have to admit it scares me sometimes. Any help appreciated.
The iPad 2 is able to update to the latest software version, which is iOS 8.0.2 right now. You will not be able to revert to iOS 7.

If you decide to install the latest software:
Update using iTunes (computer), this will be better with your device than over the air. Backup your iPad before you do this, make sure the latest version of iTunes is installed on your computer. After updating, reset your device, using the Home and Power button.

Last edited:

Lulubird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just the info I needed. Now to be sure everything is up to date and backed up and then get my courage up. lol

Thanks for the answers.

Most reactions