Any iPad 2ers Having Good Success with iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by cruiser111, Sep 19, 2014.

1. cruiser111

cruiser111
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    If iOS 8 is working well on your iPad 2, please elaborate.

- Did you need to do some things to enhance your success with the new update?

- Is it improving with time?

- Are you glad you updated? Why?

2. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    iOS 8 is running fine on my iPad 2.

3. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not my iPad, but my daughter's

- nothing special, just backed it up before updating

- it was good from the very first moment

- it's the latest software with a lot new features which she'd have missed without updating. Should I ever decide to use a credit card, she'll also be able to benefit (family sharing)

4. xardoz

xardoz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I downgraded back to 7.1.2 slowed/lagged interaction with the device too much for me. I had it on since first day available, finally went back today. I did not see that may differences that would impact me by going back.

5. Blue92

Blue92
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Installed 8 the day it came out. Haven't noticed any bad side effects but also haven't seen any new items / updates that impress me.

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Extensions and iCloud Drive aren't the slap-you-in-the-face kind of features that you got with iOS 7's UI overhaul, but in the long run they are going to a huge impact on how you can use your iPad.

Health app is temporarily crippled, but should be a nice feature when it's working.

HomeKit has potential, but it will be a long time before most people will be able to take advantage of it.

In some ways iOS 7 and iOS 8 are exact opposites. iOS 7 was almost entirely a user interface overhaul. Little change in how you use your device. iOS 8 changes almost nothing on the surface, but the power it has given developers to innovate is going to redefine what apps are capable of.

7. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Does iCloud Drive work with pdf's, microsoft office files and evernote files? Or does it only manage iWork and iOS files?

8. chinajon

chinajon
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    My only problem with ios 8 is syncing. with 7 I could click a little iTunes box on a movie, video or an audiobook title, and they would go over to the ipad no problem. Now, their titles go over with little strange dotty circles where the blue dot would appear, and they are greyed out.
    It is early days, and I don't want to go back to 7. So, I'll keep trying to figure it out.

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    iCloud Drive is going to work however the app developer uses it. In the case of iWorks, what I'm hearing is that it works pretty much the same as ever, except the files have been moved to the new location. You have to import or export them outside of iWorks. On the other hand I've heard that some third party apps are giving you access to all the shared folders in iCloud Drive.

Which apps will do what and why seems to be ill defined at the moment.

I'd assume that common file formats like pdf and office will be accessible to any app that can use them. Evernote, however, stores all it's notes internally, not as discrete files that you can load into another app. Like iWorks, you will have to import/export them just like you do now.

The limits on iWorks actually makes sense. There really isn't any reason for other apps to access the iWorks folder. They would not be able to work with the proprietary files. Hopefully there will be a way to import and export files to/from iCloud Drive folders; but I don't know one way or the other.

10. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    You get me lost there. So iCloud Drive can only work with iWorks and files in the native photos, music, and video apps? But it can access third party apps if the devs would use that? So it cannot download or access PDF's or Office files?