What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any iPad 2ers Having Good Success with iOS 8?

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If iOS 8 is working well on your iPad 2, please elaborate.

- Did you need to do some things to enhance your success with the new update?

- Is it improving with time?

- Are you glad you updated? Why?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not my iPad, but my daughter's

- nothing special, just backed it up before updating

- it was good from the very first moment

- it's the latest software with a lot new features which she'd have missed without updating. Should I ever decide to use a credit card, she'll also be able to benefit (family sharing)

xardoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downgraded back to 7.1.2 slowed/lagged interaction with the device too much for me. I had it on since first day available, finally went back today. I did not see that may differences that would impact me by going back.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Installed 8 the day it came out. Haven't noticed any bad side effects but also haven't seen any new items / updates that impress me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Extensions and iCloud Drive aren't the slap-you-in-the-face kind of features that you got with iOS 7's UI overhaul, but in the long run they are going to a huge impact on how you can use your iPad.

Health app is temporarily crippled, but should be a nice feature when it's working.

HomeKit has potential, but it will be a long time before most people will be able to take advantage of it.

In some ways iOS 7 and iOS 8 are exact opposites. iOS 7 was almost entirely a user interface overhaul. Little change in how you use your device. iOS 8 changes almost nothing on the surface, but the power it has given developers to innovate is going to redefine what apps are capable of.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Extensions and iCloud Drive aren't the slap-you-in-the-face kind of features that you got with iOS 7's UI overhaul, but in the long run they are going to a huge impact on how you can use your iPad.

Health app is temporarily crippled, but should be a nice feature when it's working.

HomeKit has potential, but it will be a long time before most people will be able to take advantage of it.

In some ways iOS 7 and iOS 8 are exact opposites. iOS 7 was almost entirely a user interface overhaul. Little change in how you use your device. iOS 8 changes almost nothing on the surface, but the power it has given developers to innovate is going to redefine what apps are capable of.

Does iCloud Drive work with pdf's, microsoft office files and evernote files? Or does it only manage iWork and iOS files?

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My only problem with ios 8 is syncing. with 7 I could click a little iTunes box on a movie, video or an audiobook title, and they would go over to the ipad no problem. Now, their titles go over with little strange dotty circles where the blue dot would appear, and they are greyed out.
It is early days, and I don't want to go back to 7. So, I'll keep trying to figure it out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does iCloud Drive work with pdf's, microsoft office files and evernote files? Or does it only manage iWork and iOS files?

iCloud Drive is going to work however the app developer uses it. In the case of iWorks, what I'm hearing is that it works pretty much the same as ever, except the files have been moved to the new location. You have to import or export them outside of iWorks. On the other hand I've heard that some third party apps are giving you access to all the shared folders in iCloud Drive.

Which apps will do what and why seems to be ill defined at the moment.

I'd assume that common file formats like pdf and office will be accessible to any app that can use them. Evernote, however, stores all it's notes internally, not as discrete files that you can load into another app. Like iWorks, you will have to import/export them just like you do now.

The limits on iWorks actually makes sense. There really isn't any reason for other apps to access the iWorks folder. They would not be able to work with the proprietary files. Hopefully there will be a way to import and export files to/from iCloud Drive folders; but I don't know one way or the other.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iCloud Drive is going to work however the app developer uses it. In the case of iWorks, what I'm hearing is that it works pretty much the same as ever, except the files have been moved to the new location. You have to import or export them outside of iWorks. On the other hand I've heard that some third party apps are giving you access to all the shared folders in iCloud Drive.

Which apps will do what and why seems to be ill defined at the moment.

I'd assume that common file formats like pdf and office will be accessible to any app that can use them. Evernote, however, stores all it's notes internally, not as discrete files that you can load into another app. Like iWorks, you will have to import/export them just like you do now.

The limits on iWorks actually makes sense. There really isn't any reason for other apps to access the iWorks folder. They would not be able to work with the proprietary files. Hopefully there will be a way to import and export files to/from iCloud Drive folders; but I don't know one way or the other.

You get me lost there. So iCloud Drive can only work with iWorks and files in the native photos, music, and video apps? But it can access third party apps if the devs would use that? So it cannot download or access PDF's or Office files?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You get me lost there. So iCloud Drive can only work with iWorks and files in the native photos, music, and video apps? But it can access third party apps if the devs would use that? So it cannot download or access PDF's or Office files?

Yes, it will work with iWorks, but the change isn't very noticeable because iWorks only looks at it's own iCloud Drive folders. Or so I've heard.

Yes, it will work with other file types, including pdf's and office. iCloud Drive itself does not care about file types. It will be up to the apps that access the folders to support, or not support, any particular format.

It will also be up to developers to add iCloud Drive to their apps and choose whether they can access other app's folders, or only their own. The feature is available, not mandatory.

I don't know much more than that. I can't play with Cloud Drive yet.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it will work with iWorks, but the change isn't very noticeable because iWorks only looks at it's own iCloud Drive folders. Or so I've heard.

Yes, it will work with other file types, including pdf's and office. iCloud Drive itself does not care about file types. It will be up to the apps that access the folders to support, or not support, any particular format.

It will also be up to developers to add iCloud Drive to their apps and choose whether they can access other app's folders, or only their own. The feature is available, not mandatory.

I don't know much more than that. I can't play with Cloud Drive yet.

So in that case, can I put office files from windows to the iCloud website? Does this also include pdf's?

Ian Whyteside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like some I admit it is early days, however since upgrading it is now so slow it is almost painful to watch. The calendar comes up, for about 30 seconds it is completely blank, which scares me, then day by day the appointments and notes start to appear. Some icons are now almost blank, with odd geometric shapes in stead of what should be there and why does it return to the home screen every time I finish doing something, calendar is the worst one for that. Never happened on IoS 7.

Most reactions