What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any genuinely useful JB apps other than MyWi?

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just struggling to find anything actually useful other than the above (as I travel a lot and it allows me to share my PAYG 3G with my iPhone). I'm not interested in themes and beeps.. Just useful tools which I can't get from the App store for whatever reason.

A lock screen display with mail/weather etc like I've seen on JB iPhones might be nice.. But is there one compatible with the iPad?

OP
P

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I've no use for ifile, retinapad - meh - iPhone only apps look naff on the iPad whatever you do with them, if I need to use them I'll just pick up my iPhone instead, Displayout - no use to me, my iPad is a portable device - I don't WANT to plug it into a screen! And Multicleaner - I don't really find it that much of a task to delete apps from the bar..

Thanks for attempting to help though! ;)

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok. I wouldn't even use my iphone or ipad if it didn't have ifile, there is so much you can do with it! plug in external hard drives or memory sticks (with low voltage) using CCK and you got a hell of a lot of space!
got a movie on cinexplayer but want to play it on oplayer? move the file with ifile, its unbelievable.

yes its true iphone apps on the ipad look naff upscaled, but with retinapad you wouldn't even notice it wasn't made for the ipad, examples of this are doodlejump, facebook (although this looks better with fullforce) and sky sports centre..

I like my ipad to be portable too, but who doesn't like a bigger screen now and then? angry birds on my LCD looks awesome lol

multicleaner I use a lot, i've got 6 apps running, I want to close them, so I double tap the status bar and i'm greeted with "close all apps",bam, all closed, don't want certain apps closing when you use the close all apps command, set it up so they stay open, i.e ipod, mail.. it really is a great little app.

I don't want to ram them down your throat but these apps are what make the ipad really "magical".

oh and a few that need a mention, aptbackup (backup of cydia apps), appbackup (a true backup of all apps on your phone) and sbsettings.

oh and if you can share your 3g i'd definitley invest in itether, with this your ipad connects to your iphone via bluetooth, which doesn't use as much battery power as mywi and it only costs like $3..

Last edited:
OP
P

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do understand that it should have been "what apps will I find useful"!

I'm not that interested in trying to make my iPad a computer replacement - generally I travel with my notebook anyhow. I am fully tied into the Apple ecosystem and contently so at that.

MyWi does have the Bluetooth ability now, although I haven't used it - primarily used it to connect my notebook (although can also do that with the USB) to the net so I can download large app updates. My3G simply doesn't seem to work.

I do use full force, and that's only really as an easy way to load pictures to my facebook account. (if only the facebook app was fully iPad compatable!)

I shall check out smart screen. Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...I shall check out smart screen. Thanks.

If I may - I'd like to give you some more info on SmartScreen, which is running fine on my iPad.

I like it. You can put all types of widgets on your lockscreen. Here's the list of what's available (that work specifically for/with SmartScreen):

- A flip style clock with a date
- An electronic clock (can adjust this widget's size)
- A weather app, shows your local weather (and it'll scroll to the right to show a 5-day forecast)
- A quick launch widget (you can load up to 12 icons to launch right from the lock)
- A calendar that syncs with the iPad calendar (and flips to show details of calendar entries - the red dates in this pic), the font colors are customizable
- A contact widget to view contacts (can scroll through the contact pictures and has a quick link to launch e-mail/text from the lock screen)
- A search bar to go straight to a search via Safari (you can pick from 8 search engines)
- A calculator
- A lyrics bar to display lyrics of song playing in iPod app,
- A quick notes widget
- An RSS reader,
- A "Today in History" info box
- An e-mail widget that shows [only] unread e-mails
- A translator widget.

There's the main program to download from Cydia; then all the widgets mentioned above are separate downloads. The app has an icon which you open to change the widget(s)'s settings. You can also customize the time the screen remains active (before the iPad relocks/dims) from 10 seconds to 5 minutes.

There also is an option to turn off the slide bar with SmartScreen, but I don't know how that works. I have Move2Unlock, so I can use gestures to move the lockscreen out of the way, that's why my slide bar is gone.

The attached picture is my lockscreen with SmartScreen installed.

Marilyn

P.S. In Cydia, the SmartScreen app is titled SmartScreen for iPad iOS. However, the widgets that you download are called "MediaPhone [name]." For example, the calendar is called MediaPhone Calendar (iPad, iOS). A search for "Mediaphone" will bring up all the widgets. Just make sure you get the ones labeled "(iPad, iOS)" - I know they work...

Attachments

• LockScreen.jpg
    LockScreen.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 483
OP
P

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was freaked out a little by the warning I got when I attempted to install it from it's repo, is it a genuine warning or just playing safe?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. I don't remember a warning. What'd it say?

All I know is that you have to make sure you've downloaded "SmartScreen for iPad iOS."

Oh, and it does warn you that you should only use the widgets designed for SmartScreen. Is that the warning you got?

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't find Smartscreen for iPad anywhere on Cydia for some reason.

[I posted this in another thread ... put it here in case you don't/didn't see it there]

Oh, shoot, my bad! The SmartScreen app/extension is not on the standard Cydia repositories (the ones you see with the initial install of Cydia).

It's at the MediaPhone repo: apt.media-phone.ch

There is a lite free version (you get 3 widgets). The full app is 5-something USD, I think. Plus, I think some of the widgets aren't free. Bit pricey, but I sure love my new look.

I had heard/read about the SmartScreen after trying (and not liking) the other lock screen app ... of course, I don't remember the name of that one. Even though this repo isn't one of the "standard" Cydia repos, I figured that it was ok, given it's the app creator who's putting up the repo. Oh, and it's at that repo where you'll find the widgets to. So, if you use it - as always - YMMV AND buyer/user beware...

Again, my bad about not telling where you can find it. Sorry.

Marilyn

ktjensen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
addiosamigo said:
ok. I wouldn't even use my iphone or ipad if it didn't have ifile, there is so much you can do with it! plug in external hard drives or memory sticks (with low voltage) using CCK and you got a hell of a lot of space!
got a movie on cinexplayer but want to play it on oplayer? move the file with ifile, its unbelievable.

yes its true iphone apps on the ipad look naff upscaled, but with retinapad you wouldn't even notice it wasn't made for the ipad, examples of this are doodlejump, facebook (although this looks better with fullforce) and sky sports centre..

I like my ipad to be portable too, but who doesn't like a bigger screen now and then? angry birds on my LCD looks awesome lol

multicleaner I use a lot, i've got 6 apps running, I want to close them, so I double tap the status bar and i'm greeted with "close all apps",bam, all closed, don't want certain apps closing when you use the close all apps command, set it up so they stay open, i.e ipod, mail.. it really is a great little app.

I don't want to ram them down your throat but these apps are what make the ipad really "magical".

oh and a few that need a mention, aptbackup (backup of cydia apps), appbackup (a true backup of all apps on your phone) and sbsettings.

oh and if you can share your 3g i'd definitley invest in itether, with this your ipad connects to your iphone via bluetooth, which doesn't use as much battery power as mywi and it only costs like $3..

Do you have a link that describes how to attach an external drive to the iPhone? I have seen the information on doing that with an iPad. Never an iPhone.

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have to say my favorite is Infiniboard. This allows you to have an infinite amount of icons on each screen instead of Apple's limit. This is really important to me, since I have the 64 GB, since it seems to me that I could fill all screens and still have room for apps.

However, now, I do know that they have added folders, but, I am Jailbroken with 3.2 and have not upgraded to any of the 4.x yet due to my Jailbroken 3.2. I don't want to be locked into the tethered jailbreak should I ever be away from my laptop if my iPad needs to be restarted.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to check a few of these out, I wanna see my angry birds on my LCD also lol

Most reactions

Latest posts