What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Fountain Pen users here?

Flinthills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently use a Namiki Pilot that is retractable. It's very convenient. I tend to pay more attention to what I'm thinking/writing when I use a fountain pen. It's my brother who reads the bloggs and goes to the pen shows.

OP
B

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Strangely I have been giving a lot of thought these past two weeks of splurging on a good quality fountain pen, yes, one that fills from a bottle, but they're quite expensive especially when I'm almost certain I'm going to buy an iPhone 5 soon to replace my Nokia N8 so as to have a 'phone more compatible with my iPad!

I'll suggest Conklin or Conway Stewart.

I DO NOT suggest some of those cheap lathe turned pens, made from kits and templates by people professing to know WTF a fine quality Fountain Pen is; selling their evil wares on eBay to people that do not understand the fountain pen lifestyle; what casein is or why celluloid -although an explosive- is a great material of which to craft fine quality writing instruments, rather than cellulose acetate., the devil's polymer.

We serious users have lots to say about the state of the art. No art is more often than not, the guiding principal. Yes, I am bitter... bitter as heck, I'll tell you what.

Bitter Smiley Here.

Seriously, I prefer a nice vintage pen. Lots of places to purchase if you are so inclined. And they are not costly. You likely want a Lever, Crescent, or Button Filler. Although most modern fountain pens will accept cartridges.

You can spend quite a bit or not at all that much. I like most of what I see from the large manufacturers and a few I cannot afford from masters of the art.

Consider this one: The Limited Edition Mystery Masterpiece. Only three quarters of a million dollars. Or if you are poor, try the Conway Stewart Westminster Teal Pen. Only $1,500.00 or so. Take care of it, and it will last for generations.

Pens Collection - Top 10 Most Expensive Pens In The World

Wunderin: If I take a plane, are pens allowed? A Celluloid pen can hold liquids and the materials its self is classified as an explosive (gun cotton). Lets hope not, They will take my fountain pen when they pry its warm casein barell from my cold, dead, DC Supershow Blue ink stained hands.

Buy a pen, write a person, live large and wear shirts to math the color of the eventual leak.

OP
B

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yarrenbool said:
I used my solid silver Parker for many years (NEVER let anyone else touch it) then lost it. Replaced it with a cheapy, bad enough, but it used cartriges instead of being filled from a bottle of ink. Hated it so stopped using a fountain pen.

Strangely I have been giving a lot of thought these past two weeks of splurging on a good quality fountain pen, yes, one that fills from a bottle, but they're quite expensive especially when I'm almost certain I'm going to buy an iPhone 5 soon to replace my Nokia N8 so as to have a 'phone more compatible with my iPad!

Fountains pens can be very expensive, I think mine was around $400.00 and that was years ago. Compare that with an iPhone or iPad and the iPad comes off as really good value.

It is not just the pen. There will come a time when you start buying fine quality rag writing papers. You might start with some cheaper paper from Staples (they got that) but that is not good enough... oh no, my friend, not at all worthy.

You then start looking for an engraver to make a copper plate for that fanciful monogram and then you will be ordering by the ream, paper from Crane. Not the cheap stuff, only the good stuff will ever do. Then you buy matching envelopes and stamps by the roll.

Add a blotter, a vintage ink well, and an additional pen, the finest writing inks, then pen insurance, and before you know it, you have spent at least 100 times as much as you did for angry Birds.

It never stops, I tell ya.

Smiley.

OP
B

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
poisonivy said:
LOL,guess I'm safe tho in deepest darkest yorkshire.

Nowhere is safe from pen stealing mods!

The Archangel

Fortunately, it will show up on eBay so you can re-purchase it.

And to Sweetpoison . . . I don't get mad, I get stabby. Smiley+ (Bob will never stab others; it is rude and the little bits of skin clog the tip.)

Most reactions