What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Antivirus for iPad?

my_ipad_2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do iPad needs anti virus? Are we safe enough surfing the net without anti virus?

OP
M

my_ipad_2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that rePly... Just a thought .. Everything is possible now a days.. Just a bit curious..

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
my_ipad_2011 said:
Thanks for that rePly... Just a thought .. Everything is possible now a days.. Just a bit curious..

All apps are sandboxed. No interaction between them. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple just released a security patch to prevent an exploit that could be embedded in .PDF files. If you haven't updated your iPad os recently with iTunes you should do so.

The iOS architecture is more secure than a Mac or PC or Linux system, but it's not bulletproof.

Avoid questionable locations and downloads no matter what computer you are using.

Posted with TapaTalk for iPhone

OP
M

my_ipad_2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USBill said:
Apple just released a security patch to prevent an exploit that could be embedded in .PDF files. If you haven't updated your iPad os recently with iTunes you should do so.

The iOS architecture is more secure than a Mac or PC or Linux system, but it's not bulletproof.

Avoid questionable locations and downloads no matter what computer you are using.

Mine is 4.3.2? I don't know if it's the latest version.. I can't remember when I last updated it.. I'll check it later. Thanks much.

Bushy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my_ipad_2011 said:
Mine is 4.3.2? I don't know if it's the latest version.. I can't remember when I last updated it.. I'll check it later. Thanks much.

4.3.4 is the newest version available to any none iPad registered developer

OP
M

my_ipad_2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bushy said:
4.3.4 is the newest version available to any none iPad registered developer

Ah okay.. Mine is at 4.3.3 I thought its still 4.3.2... But still needs to update for than version. Thanks much bushy..

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple took the decision to 'sandbox' the programs (apps) in the iPad. This means that apps have only a very limited ability to interact - and this interaction is *absolutely* controlled by the operating system (iOS). So if you tried to write a 'virus' program for the iPad it would have no effect, because it couldn't interact with any other program or the operating system.

That, inevitably, has other consequences and places restrictions on what programs can do. In Windows, for example, applications (programs) can interact and this can be very useful. So some (clever) programmers found a way to 'jail break' the iPad and remove this restriction (effectively 'jailbreaking' means your iPad can 'run' non-Apple approved apps from the Cydia website, where they make such non-approved apps available). They can now run 'unauthorised' apps on the iPad that 'take advantage' of the removal of this restriction. The downside - technically a 'jail broken' iPad could be vunerable to viruses.

But don't worry - a 'regular' (non jail broken) iPad is not vunerable to any 'viruses' that a deviant programmer might write to 'infect' a jail broken iPad. So your IT manager need have no worries - if your iPads are not 'jailbroken' they are absolutely safe from viruses.

Basically, if you accept the restrictions that Apple place on your iPad and don't jail break, you're completely safe - a virus cannot 'infect' you.

Additionally, any 'app' that a normal (non-jail broken) iPad can download will have been thoroughly checked and approved by Apple, so could not contain any malevolent code...

OK - I'll get 'hacked' by the iPad 'jail breakers' - sorry for the 'pun' but, basically, you're safe.

Apple have a number of 'white papers' and other documents on their web site that address this issue if you'd like the links...

Tim

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm puzzled. The PDF exploit "...has the ability to install malicious code on a users iOS device by simply visiting a webpage crafted to run the code." I don't get how that is different from the most common form of PC virus.

The very fact it can be used to JailBreak seems to support the idea that it's a serious security problem (assuming you don't want your OS modified).

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are correct. The PDF exploit is a security hole. Apple has already patched it, and is likely to patch any future holes using over the air updates before any virus software can be updated to react to a threat.

There is no reason at this time to purchase virus software for your iPad.

- t

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right. I'm not aware of any AV software for the iPad. My point was that you should keep your os up to date.

I've met lots of folks who have never synched their iPads. Not even once.

Most reactions

Latest posts