What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

...another Software Update question.

conrad721

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Did a Search but couldnt find the exact answer, so here goes...
Does it matter if I get the software update from iTunes when iPad is connected to my laptop or get the update directly from the iPad using wifi?
TIA. :)

Regards,
Conrad

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No difference what so ever. The final version of iOS that will be running on your iPad will be exactly the same.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have done 4 devices so far.
iPhone 5 OTA
iPhone 4S iTunes
iPad 3 OTA
iPad 3 iTunes

The two OTAs had current backups. The two iTunes need a backup.

OP
C

conrad721

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies.
I guess I should have asked which everyone else prefers, "OTA or iTunes?".
I'll see if i can change the title. :)

Obviously Im a bit skeptical on updating mine.
You see im really worried if during the update process my wifi disconnects, or my internet connection gets cut-off.
Our Internet provider sometimes really isnt 100% reliable.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
With either method the update is downloaded before it is applied. Losing your internet connection during the download would report an error but not affect your device as no update has been applied.

I suspect you will find there is a even split between OTA and itunes, I have updated both ways and had no problems both ways. The only difference I could see is that the OTA update is a delta update (only the bits that are changing are downloaded) so is quicker to download than the full new software that is downloaded by itunes.

Millions of people have performed updates with no problem via both methods, I wouldn't really worry about it.

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a rule for myself, I do major version updates (5.1.1 to 6.0) via iTunes and minor version updates (5.1 to 5.11 or 6.0 to 6.01) OTA.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For those reading: if you are at all interested in ever jail breaking your iPad (even if it's something you're thinking about), it appears the best way to do an upgrade is to do it via iTunes. The last jail break tool cannot use the iOS version that gets installed on your iPad via the OTA method. I don't believe that will change for future iOS versions.

I'm not saying that everyone wants to jail break. This is just FYI... :)

Marilyn

OP
C

conrad721

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys.

did my update last night via iTunes.
i guess im an oldschool who still prefers hardwire. :)

to Ms. Marilyn, being a Mod, can you please change the Thread Title to :"Which do you prefer; via OTA or iTunes when downloading software updates?"
it would be interesting to know what preferrence people have over this.
Thanks.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
conrad721 said:
thanks for the replies guys.

did my update last night via iTunes.
i guess im an oldschool who still prefers hardwire. :)

to Ms. Marilyn, being a Mod, can you please change the Thread Title to :"Which do you prefer; via OTA or iTunes when downloading software updates?"
it would be interesting to know what preferrence people have over this.
Thanks.

Marilyn's offline, so I'll answer for her. Thread titles cannot be changed after about half an hour of being posted. Doing so can lead to posts going astray.

Nothing wrong with starting a poll on the subject if you'd like to see it, and it hasn't already been done.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
C

conrad721

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn's offline, so I'll answer for her. Thread titles cannot be changed after about half an hour of being posted. Doing so can lead to posts going astray.

Nothing wrong with starting a poll on the subject if you'd like to see it, and it hasn't already been done.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Copy that. Thanks!

Most reactions