What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Pre-Purchase Question

LTCSZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, I'm back already...I am ordering a 32gb refurb from the Apple Store...Got a few quick questions...I am totally new to the Apple/Mac world...Now; On the Ipad...If i prepare a document with one of the popular apps, say DTG, how do I get that document onto my PC if I so desire? If it is Word comparable, can I then edit the document on my PC? I am sure a lot of this stuff will become obvious once I start working with the unit, but, I'm anxious! Thanks for your patience,

Steve

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, I'm back already...I am ordering a 32gb refurb from the Apple Store...Got a few quick questions...I am totally new to the Apple/Mac world...Now; On the Ipad...If i prepare a document with one of the popular apps, say DTG, how do I get that document onto my PC if I so desire? If it is Word comparable, can I then edit the document on my PC? I am sure a lot of this stuff will become obvious once I start working with the unit, but, I'm anxious! Thanks for your patience,

Steve

I use the iWork apps...Numbers, Pages, etc, they output to that format, PDF and the applicable MS app...so Numbers can be output to Excel, Pages to Word...then you can email the document to yourself or plug in to your computer and grab it.

jimmywales23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a bunch of apps that you can use to accomplish file sharing. I personally use iTunes for a single file sharing. Its a bit tedious, it does not auto-sync, but overall it gets the job done :)

Google Docs is another great online service. If you would like to edit the files transfered to your iPad, then I recommend Office2 Pro which is about $8 on iTunes.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DTG Premium has cloud sync ability. Also can sync with desktop you can install free desktop program with it.

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you can see from the other responses, the are many ways to accomplish what you asked about. I did some research when I first got my iPad and it looked to me like Documents to Go would retain the majority of formatting between Office and your iPad documents. So I went with DTG. Several ways to get your docs transferred back and forth between e iPad and PC. Email. Cloud servers. DTGs own cloud sync. iTunes. I use Dropbox as my c
Our sever and I paid for the subscription which gives me 50 GB of storage space. I put a huge amount of files on that server and have only used 27% of my allotment so far. I have all my photos (I shoot a nikon d500 and Dave in raw as well as jpg so each photo takes 15 mb and I shoot a lot). I also have 5 years worth of electronic documents related to work. The equivalent of two four drawer file cabinets. So you can see that a lot of work can be served on the cloud, allowing both OC and iPad to have access to the documents.

I also have an external hard drove that has it's own ip address so I can log into that drive from anywhere I have an Internet connection.

Splashtop allows me to control the PC on my desk so if I happen to need a file off the network server I can log in, grab the file, drop it onto a cloud server or the external hard drive and then have acces on the iPad to it.

This device really can be a powerful work tool. But you do have to by a few apps to make it do the hard work. Out of the box it is a nice entertainment device but with a little work and research y can have ot working for you pretty quickly.

Nate

PS...buy an external keyboard. The soft keyboard on the iPad sucks for speed typing. I'm leaving all my typos in the above response for effect. LOL

Last edited:

Winamy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Docs2go and numbers. There are several easy options. No worries.

Most reactions