What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another newbie question about JB iPad2

kvea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I've looked around on this site and soaked up information and I think I've gotten the picture.
Here goes:
I'm just about to receive my spanking new iPad2. As soon as I hook it up to iTunes it will install software version 4.3.5 on my pad leaving me with no possibility to JB at the moment. And there is nothing I can do about it, right?
I cannot get my pad "activated" on my computer, unplugged from the internet, and choosing software version 4.3.3 from my computers hard drive instead, right?
At one point I will have to connect to the net and will be stopped due to missing SHSH blobs that is not available for this software version anymore?

I guess there is a fair chance that someone already posed a similar question before, sorry, I standby to be redirected to that string if it exists..

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you get the iPad, it already has the current version of software on it if you are buying from apple. All iTunes does is activate it. If you are buying from a reseller, than you might have a slight chance of having 4.3.3 on it. If not, sorry. No blobs, no downgrade. And iTunes requires Internet to activate.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As soon as I hook it up to iTunes it will install software version 4.3.5 on my pad leaving me with no possibility to JB at the moment. And there is nothing I can do about it, right?

Just to clarify: If your iPad does not have the current iOS version on it (which is iOS4.3.5 right now), then when you plug it in, it will ask you if you wish to upgrade. You do not have to accept that choice. Actually, if you do get that notice, that's a good thing because your odds will be that you do have the "outdated" firmware on it, which may be the jailbreakable 4.3.3..... You never know until you look.

I cannot get my pad "activated" on my computer, unplugged from the internet, and choosing software version 4.3.3 from my computers hard drive instead, right?
At one point I will have to connect to the net and will be stopped due to missing SHSH blobs that is not available for this software version anymore?

I guess there is a fair chance that someone already posed a similar question before, sorry, I standby to be redirected to that string if it exists..

And, as graywolf has pointed out, there's nothing you can do if that new iPad has iOS 4.3.5 on it. You will not be able to jailbreak it because you won't have those SHSH blobs that Apple stopped signing in July.

If you're lucky, it'll be an "older" iPad with the older firmware. If not, well, we've got high hopes for an iOS5 jailbreak...

Good luck and congrats on your new purchase. They're pretty awesome pieces of kit, regardless!

Marilyn

OP
K

kvea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback.
I read on one string at this forum that Apple started using the SHSH blobs from iPhone 3GS and up.
Does that mean that I can instal any of the older software version on my old 3G phone?
Of course, I would want the option to JB.
It is JB at version 4.2.1 and is acting a bit slow and fragile.

Most reactions

Latest posts