What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANOTHER frustrated South African User with the Apple App Store for IOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WHY WHY WHY oh why do we support Apple products using IOS software, and then can't access/download games, music, video, etc from the App Store??

Is there no one out there who has some power to do something about this, as the distributor, CORE, wraps themselves in cotton wool and only reap the benefits of the hardware sales!!

Maybe Aki Annistasio from Talk Radio 702 has the guts to take this issue head-on for us masses out there who are suffering the ridiculous decisions being made by a few.

The issue that REALLY gets to me, is that I can download and play games on my MacBook Pro, however I am not allowed to play these same games on my iPad?

Have any of you tried searching Apple for support - South Africa doesn't even feature as a Country? The page showing supported countries showing their flags, has never heard of South Africa. Surely if we have to report issues via the UK, then we should have all the privileges that the UK have on their iTunes and App Stores?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

With respect to your post, I can understand your frustration. This has been discussed many times here. The issue of which countries have access to Apple programs, music and apps or not has nothing to do with Apple directly. They would certainly be more than happy to sell everything, everywhere. It is all about the the developers and/or those holding the rights to the products and the laws governing distribution, copyrights and other laws that protect their intellectual property within those countries. iPad Apps, games, etc. are not the same as those for computers nor are they protected in the same way in every country. Some countries have yet to update their laws with respect to new technology. If you conduct a search on our forum you will find more threads discussing this and some of the work-arounds available to you.

Hope that helps.

Welcome again and enjoy!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Rich says, it's not Apple's fault - it copyright law and local and national laws. Apple would be only too happy to sell every app, every music track and every video in every country but they're simply not allowed to.

The workaround is simply to open an iTunes account in another country. You don't need a credit card to do that, just an Apple Gift card in the currency of the country where you want to open the account. Apple even have a 'white paper' on their website telling you how to do this. Gift cards from a whole variety of countries can be easily purchased on the Internet; since you only need the Gift Card code number and not the physical card, the retailer can email you that number and you're good to go in a couple of minutes. Many of our Members have several iTunes accounts - it's common practice.

Tim

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Rich says, it's not Apple's fault - it copyright law and local and national laws. Apple would be only too happy to sell every app, every music track and every video in every country but they're simply not allowed to.

The workaround is simply to open an iTunes account in another country. You don't need a credit card to do that, just an Apple Gift card in the currency of the country where you want to open the account. Apple even have a 'white paper' on their website telling you how to do this. Gift cards from a whole variety of countries can be easily purchased on the Internet; since you only need the Gift Card code number and not the physical card, the retailer can email you that number and you're good to go in a couple of minutes. Many of our Members have several iTunes accounts - it's common practice.

Tim

Excellent advice, Tim, which has been repeated numerous times on this site.

Welcome, from Cali!

TrishG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it takes a South African to truly empathise with the frustrations of other South Africans over these APPLE "curiosities"!!!
It would seem that it is absolutely OK for Apple to sell its toys here.....we are good enough when it comes to buying them....then the "fun & games" start! (Especially when those selling the toys are not too quick to inform the uninformed customer of these facts!!) I have seen my daughter's disillusionment with her iPod + the iTunes saga......and then my husband's with his iPad + "unavailable" Apps. And why SHOULD we have to open an account in another country for goodness sake!?!?! Or, as some have suggested "go hack" away to get what we want. WHY?
Is this truly the kind of behaviour Apple is endorsing? Working in the academic/higher education sector all I can say is: Shame on you Apple!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Again ~ it is not Apple's fault ~ they are not allowed to, do you understand?

There are workarounds as stated and it is common practice as well.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We are a private forum that is not affiliated with Apple or other countries governments. As the question was asked and answered (quite well) by Tim, we can do nothing more. Much sympathy is given, but that's all we can do.

Therefore - this thread is closed.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts