What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An unknown error occurred?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone else getting this when trying to install an app from the app store?

Did it allow you to download the app again? Once you've purchased the app - assuming it wasn't during the purchase process and it was once the download had been authorised and the app started to download - you can download it again without further payment.

Or did the 'unknown error' occur on subsequent occasions?

Tim
Scotland

OP
dyrelogan

dyrelogan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nah, I'm trying to download a free app. Tried several free apps with the same outcome. Apple probably doing maintenance or something?

OP
dyrelogan

dyrelogan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems like it's just the iPad. I am downloading an app on my iPhone 4 just fine. So this issue is only happening on the iPad.

mikesus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fixed mine, dunno why it broke tho?

1. Go to: store.apple.com/ca (or store.apple.com if you're in the us)

2. Click account in the upper right corner and then click change account info and sign in using the same email and password that you use for itunes store
3. U R now on the account profile page. Remove ONLY the credit card numbers from the card number field-DO NOT remove the expiration date or credit card type.
4. Select where you are primarily going to be using your purchases (ie-home) from the pop up menu near the bottom of the page.
5. Click continue. If you are asked any other information, be sure to click continue after making the updates so that your changes will be saved.
6.Now go to: phobos.apple.com/accountSummary
7. Sign into the iTunes store using your account name and password
8. On the apple account information page, click the edit payment information button
9. Choose "none" for payment method and click done to save your changes.

OP
dyrelogan

dyrelogan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand. I just said that I was able to download an app just fine on my iPhone 4. Why would the same account matter on my iPad? I am not having the error on my iPhone, just my iPad. I haven't tried my iPod touch yet.

mikesus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just telling ya what worked for me, no clue why it worked, other than some bits got scrambled at Apple...

Have you tried logging out of your account and back in? It's under store in settings...

OP
dyrelogan

dyrelogan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I tried it. Got rid of my cc info which I thought was already removed and I was able to download just fine. So very weird. I mean, my iPhone is using the same account so wouldn't that have been affected too? Another strange occurrence brought to you by Apple. :) thanks

mikesus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NP. Took a lot of Googling to find that solution, many others didn't work...

Glad it's working for ya!

JacobA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same thing happened with the Iphone 4

I found out how to fix it for the iphone, all you do is log out of itunes from your app store then log back in. It will be fixed. Worked for me. :D

wkcinaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
unknown error

Go into settings and go down to the store. At the bottom of the screen you will see your apple ID. Click on it. Sign out and back in. This worked for me.

Most reactions