What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An recommendation for Smart cover compatible back cover?

luvmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am new and I just ordered my iPad2 and smart cover. I am looking for something to protect the back.

My ideal case must be very slim and must compatible with smart cover. anyone has any idea?

1937bruce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Belkin has a plastic snap on back, and it works great for me. Others have complained about the quality, but I've had no problems.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lots of options. The main issue you'll want to consider is whether you want the back protector to "lock" the SmartCover in place. If you do, you won't face the problem of picking up the iPad by the cover and having it detach. Of course, that also means you cannot detach the SmartCover without removing the back case.

If you're looking for recommendations, search is your friend.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife took hers to the mall and got a Zagg Invisashield installed. Doesn't get any lighter then that. Offers scratch protection,but does nothing for drop protection.

Lots of TPU skins on eBay that would offer drop protection too. They tend to be a bit heavy

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Now that does look pretty cool.

The Archangel

It's a middle of the road case that works pretty well. The little bit of plastic just below the Home button is weak, but the rest fits well. The boarder around the edges keeps the Smart Cover from sitting as tightly as it could, but it is still reasonably secure and doesn't flip open on it's own.

I spent quite a bit of time searching for something that looked good, added some reasonable protection, and wouldn't cost so much that I'd regret buying it unseen. I'm happy enough that I feel no need to buy another case until I'm certain it is exactly what I want.

If you ever watch the AppAdvice Daily videos by Robin Rhys you can sometimes see a an iPad in a pink case. I'm pretty sure is a Hypershield.

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
luvmac said:
Hi, I am new and I just ordered my iPad2 and smart cover. I am looking for something to protect the back.

My ideal case must be very slim and must compatible with smart cover. anyone has any idea?

Im using the Zum SC Ulimate. Limited colors but it locks the smart cover into place.

OP
L

luvmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help... I have found out there are some negative reviews on the belkin case.. anyone has more info about the zum case? never heard about the brand

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
luvmac said:
Thanks for your help... I have found out there are some negative reviews on the belkin case.. anyone has more info about the zum case? never heard about the brand

Look at the reviews on amazon or other forums. I really like it. I like the fact that it locks the smart cover on. It's one of the cheaper options and has the most functionality.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look at the reviews on amazon or other forums. I love it personally I like the fact that it locks the smart cover on. It's one of the cheaper options and has the most functionality. I really like it.

On the other hand, I like the fact that I can easily detach the SmartCover from the iPad and leave a back protector in place. The ZUM eliminates that feature. It's really a matter of personal choice. I've tried several SmartCover compatible back covers that DON'T lock the SmartCover in place.

The clear case from ENKI (Enki | We've got you covered) is well made and doesn't scratch easily. The leather covered back cover from Bear Motion (available on Amazon) works very well but is a "bear" to install at first. (It fits VERY tightly.) The back cover from Spec has a small metal strip that holds the SmartCover in place when it is folded over but I found that it scratched easily after about a month. If you want the functionality to prevent the SmartCover from "flopping" around when it's folded over, get a thin feeler gauge strip at the hardware store and glue it in place on the back cover. That solves the problem.

Kursac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm one of those people that less is more for me but then I can read a paperback book cover to cover & it looks like it never left the bookstore when it's done. I have the black leather smart cover and I use an iPad style messenger bag to carry it around. When in my office at work or home I use a simple black mouse pad to set it on. I couldn't imagin ever picking up my iPad by the smart cover no mater how it was secured.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... I couldn't imagine ever picking up my iPad by the smart cover no mater how it was secured.

Same for me but as others have pointed out, having an iPad in a household with a toddler presents a whole new world of risk. Different strokes for different folks.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the black leather smart cover too and a Bodyguardz on the back which adds zero bulk and it's brilliant. It stops the back getting scratched and gives really good grip and make it feel really secure in my hand.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts