What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

an issue after Ipad 4.2.1 jailbroken

tidus10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, after restoring, I get the following message and "no service" again:

"waiting for activation"

Any thoughts?

That should go away if you had it activated at the AT&T store and if not you can always try to remove the SIM and put it back in.. Other than that just go throughout iTunes following the steps to reactivate

swamzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, after restoring, I get the following message and "no service" again:

"waiting for activation"

Any thoughts?

That should go away if you had it activated at the AT&T store and if not you can always try to remove the SIM and put it back in.. Other than that just go throughout iTunes following the steps to reactivate
Ah, I restored to backup, had "no service", went to AT&T store, got a new SIM, same problems. Going to try to restore and chooose "new Ipad" and hope things work.

Thanks for the response.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, I restored to backup, had "no service", went to AT&T store, got a new SIM, same problems. Going to try to restore and chooose "new Ipad" and hope things work.

Thanks for the response.

IMHO as a general rule of thumb, you should really only restore from backup if you have a known good configuration and you are not performing a mojor upgrade to the OS, although that's not to say it doesn't work outwith these scenarios.

Almost all the problems I deal with relating to restores are where people are doing a major upgrade of OS version but restore the backup from a previous version. In particlar it is the wireless communications (both 3G and WiFi) which seem to be most suseptable to glitches after a restore from backup.

Nine times out of ten, a restore and setup as new will fix things.
Whilst it may be a pain to lose some app data, the majority of "stuff" can be resynced either from iTunes or the cloud.

Hope that helps.

swamzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, restored to new ipad. Still have "waiting for activation" message popping up after reboot. Took out SIM and re-inserted, still no luck after new ipad restore. I think I need to go to the apple store.

Any words of wisdom?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, restored to new ipad. Still have "waiting for activation" message popping up after reboot. Took out SIM and re-inserted, still no luck after new ipad restore. I think I need to go to the apple store.

Any words of wisdom?

Just checking, it is a valid SIM for a carrier which the iPad is expecting, isn't it? It worked previously in this iPad, yes?

swamzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, its a valid AT&T SIM, went to AT&T store a couple days ago. I got my Ipad 3G back in June, had some reception issues, but then all of a sudden everything was fine by Aug/Sep... Now, after the 4.2.1 upgrade, the problem is back.

Could this be an antenna issue?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like hardware to me. As I've said before, there is noting in the jailbreak which interferes with the 3G / Baseband on the iPad. There is just no reason for it.
To be clear, if you do a clean 4.2.1 restore and nothing else, does your SIM work OK?
I will be amazed if the act of jailbreaking is introducing the issue...

swamzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have a Genius bar appointment tomorrow. As long as I restored back to "new ipad" 4.2.1, I shouldn't have any traces of jailbreak, correct?

Will post up info gained after genius bar visit.

Reaction score
Have you tried setting up the iPad as a new device, i.e. not restoring anything?

I used to have a similar issue where 3G would simply not work. Got the iPad replaced, but after restoring, 3G stopped working on the new iPad as well. The issue clearly was on the software side.

As a result, I lost all data, as the backup rendered 3G useless, but at least 3G works now.

Here is a quick test you can perform: Reset the iPad via Settings, if it is a software issue, the SIM should connect to 3G.

Last edited:

swamzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FINALLY, my 3G works!!! Went to the apple store, they gave me a new iPad and popped in the my card, and 3G is back.

Thanks for all the help on this thread. I tried everything and knew more about how to resolve this issue than the genius.

swamzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Btw, it was a hardware issue, not related to jailbreak or 4.2.1

Most reactions

Latest posts