What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An iPad as my sole 'device'...almost.

danriffle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using my iPad almost exclusively as my sole online/communication/data/entertainment device.

I don't have a computer in my home (but I do at work) and, so, no internet connection. The iPad's 3G is my connection at home.

Before deciding on the iPad, I looked at smart phones, but with the cost of voice+data plans, it made more sense for me to get the iPad. The Line2 app gives me a business line that can ring to my antiquated (dare I say it...) Tracfone.

My primary use for the iPad is for business (I'm leaving the IT field to become a full-time cabinetmaker). I'm using it for tech drawings, editing photos, updating websites, email, ordering materials.

I'd like to be able to do some simple bookkeeping on it, but I'm not fully satisfied with the apps I've seen so far.

I don't have a big need for music/media/games, but it's nice to have some good music or other diversions.

I researched it a lot before purchase and read all the cautions--"the iPad won't/can't replace your computer." Well, it's working fine for me.

ivanmarkchang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had a macbook pro but i gave that to my girlfriend. i also had an iphone but that went to my older brother. i salvaged together a pc from friends parts but soon after i saved up and purchased an iPad, which is now my sold device.

now that i have it, my friends all fight over it :p

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use my ipad is more of my main device when i travel along with keeping it with me all the time when iam away from the house.

my desktop is used as a combo set up ..as the tv set with it cable system set up and the computer for basic internet websurfing along with the doing some basic work related things in my apt . i found that the desktop does it job when iam in the apt and the ipad takes care of everything else...

Last edited:

ivanmarkchang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used my desktop once since I got the iPad... it's been about a week now...!

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No way it could replace my desktop at work, I use too much specialized software and while I can technically remote and and do it all from the iPad, it is a billion times more efficient to have the mouse and full keyboard. Its nice having the iPad for when you're out and need to do something at work, but it will never be a "replacement" for the work PC.

At home, I find that I do much less on my home PC, but the iPad still cant replace it. When I go out and shoot 100+ photos and want to bring in the RAW files and edit and tweak them, I need a real computer for that.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No way it could replace my desktop at work, I use too much specialized software and while I can technically remote and and do it all from the iPad, it is a billion times more efficient to have the mouse and full keyboard. Its nice having the iPad for when you're out and need to do something at work, but it will never be a "replacement" for the work PC.

At home, I find that I do much less on my home PC, but the iPad still cant replace it. When I go out and shoot 100+ photos and want to bring in the RAW files and edit and tweak them, I need a real computer for that.

Agreed. That's why I swear to abandon working!:p

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Agreed. That's why I swear to abandon working!:p

Haha, I like how you think :)

JLStrange

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only use my laptop for Quicken. Otherwise it's iPad all the way (but I'm retired so don't do work, some have suggested nothing's changed there)

Most reactions

Latest posts