What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Apostate Apple Fan is Reborn!

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I started with the original 128k Mac, and was a die-hard Mac fan through the next several generations. Then, for a variety of reasons which I won't bore you with, I had to go over to the Dark Side.

Now, in order to support my iPad, I decided to buy a Mac-mini.

Aaaaah! It was like coming home to a nice drink of cool water!

The Mac user interface is sooo much smoother and nicer than the Windows Vista that I have recently been dealing with.

Just wanted to share my reactions with you.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I started with the original 128k Mac, and was a die-hard Mac fan through the next several generations. Then, for a variety of reasons which I won't bore you with, I had to go over to the Dark Side.

Now, in order to support my iPad, I decided to buy a Mac-mini.

Aaaaah! It was like coming home to a nice drink of cool water!

The Mac user interface is sooo much smoother and nicer than the Windows Vista that I have recently been dealing with.

Just wanted to share my reactions with you.

I too had the original Mac in 1984 but was forced (at work) to switch to Wndows in the early 1990's.

After a sad dalliance with the Newton MessagePad, I have now returned to the Apple fold with the iPad. Despite the "Walled Garden" mentality, I do like it.

The next time I buy a computer it just might be a Mac.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Love my mini, it's on 24/7 and so damned quiet compared to the win7 box which sounds like a vacuum cleaner in action.
Stuffed 8gb of ram in it and trying to get a 750 WD hard drive, but the recent events in Japan have made them hard to find.

Multimedia stuff just seems to flow more fluidly with a mac.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep, Vista is definitely the pits----but I was also comparing my new Mac-mini with XP and Win 7!

When I first tried Windows (Win 3 was apparently the first version for some reason!) my reaction was "What a nervous, jittery interface". Though it was a definite step up from bare-knuckles DOS.

For some reason, everyone else at work looked down their nose at Apple. I think "the computer for the rest of us" seemed to them to be a child's toy---probably because of the simple interface. I, myself, loved the bootup smiley face and (not so much!) the cherry bomb when it crashed. But at least Apple didn't opt for the other logical choice: a raised index finger!

So---my initial reaction upon booting up my Mac-mini was "What a nice, smooth calming interface!"

Of course, I still don't care much for the "Apple Attitude," but is it so different from Microsoft's?

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first computer I worked with was just DOS. Then Window 3.1 in 1986. In 1995 a girl I was dating bought a Mac. Stupid waste of money if you ask me, I have to work with computers why would I want to own on.

My Brother wad a Windows 3.1 PC and between him and the girlfriend I decided to buy one so I got a Mac. I loved the Mac, and I even got a new job at a different company because I knew how to work with Macs. 1997 I met and married my wife. She began told me the Mac was cute but we were going to get a PC because we had to be networked. I didn't like the sound of that but nevertheless I went along with it.

I'd say for the next 7 years I lost my data for various reasons with that PC. Windows XP. Then my wife started mumbling something about wireless networks and she finally explained what that thing in the middle between our desk was. A router. Hmmm.

Then I heard that Mac had worked out a deal with Intel and I'd be able to run windows on my Mac! Overjoyed I ordered an iMac from Apple.

Well, it wasn't quite as simple as what they said it was but my Mac is now on the network, along with my airport and my iPad. And yes, I do have an Android phone but by the time my next upgrade rolls around I'm pretty sure iPhone 5 will be out and I will take a hard look at that.

What the heck is this thread about? Oh yeah, the OP. Sorry OP, just wanted to share my journey to Mac too.;)

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for commenting guys. It's good to see that I'm not the only one who has drifted away and returned. (And not the only "older" citizen here, either!)

I think one valid criticism of the Mac that my erstwhile colleagues presented to me is that the windows machine was open and so they could plug in interface cards to control experiments and the like, whereas the Apple box was closed. I see that is still the case with the Mac-mini. You can pop open the case to upgrade the memory chips, but everything else is off limits.

Small price to pay for a pleasant experience, though.

Most reactions