What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Android phone users thoughts on his new iPad 2

gwlaw99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First let me say that I am an Android phone user. For me, customization and quickly accessing information with a swipe through my widgets is what I need on a phone. I never thought I had any reason to use iOS--until now.

I have been blown away by how much fun I am having with the iPad. Netflix is just incredible on the iPad and to have that much video content anywhere I go is just amazing. Flipbook and Zite turn a boring news reader experience into a slick magazine. Splashtop allows me to run my computer off my iPad for 4 bucks. Cheap console quality games like Real Racing 2, Deadspace, and the unbelievable Order and Chaos are simply great values. I was skeptical why anyone would need an iPad and the truth is you don't need it. Just like you don't need that 50" plasma when the 19" tube TV is just fine.

My only complaint is the low ppi screen is noticeable when reading on a browser, but after a few weeks, I got used to it and don't notice it any more.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gwlaw99 said:
First let me say that I am an Android phone user. For me, customization and quickly accessing information with a swipe through my widgets is what I need on a phone. I never thought I had any reason to use iOS--until now.

I have been blown away by how much fun I am having with the iPad. Netflix is just incredible on the iPad and to have that much video content anywhere I go is just amazing. Flipbook and Zite turn a boring news reader experience into a slick magazine. Splashtop allows me to run my computer off my iPad for 4 bucks. Cheap console quality games like Real Racing 2, Deadspace, and the unbelievable Order and Chaos are simply great values. I was skeptical why anyone would need an iPad and the truth is you don't need it. Just like you don't need that 50" plasma when the 19" tube TV is just fine.

My only complaint is the low ppi screen is noticeable when reading on a browser, but after a few weeks, I got used to it and don't notice it any more.

Halleluja a fan, welcome to our world!

refrainer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just like me when i thought that an ipad is just an oversize iphone. but i find it much more better for viewing websites, and for on the go photo editing solution if im on mobile with my camera. Maybe the next ipad will have a more dense resolution screen.

Flinthills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just picked up an android phone last week. I went with a minimal data plan because I download video on my wifi iPad with the large screen.

Uoft23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish I was as excited as you. I'm starting to feel sick to my stomach that I just wasted almost 600 bucks :( Im a pc and android user and I knew I was getting a locked down product but I thought the promises of iPads incredible user experience would compensate enough but after day 1 of my iPad I'm hugely underwhelmed and mildly annoyed. I hate that I can't change the default browser but fine...but as the day goes on I'm learning to loathe the iPad keyboard with a burning passion. I keep trying to swype :mad: I feel like it's actually quite large and unwieldy as well but maybe that's because Im used to using a galaxy s. Im trying to be optimistic but it's hard and so far this stellar user experience seems more like bells and whistles than substance. I really hope Im wrong though. 600 is a lot to spend on a glorified portable tv.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I wish I was as excited as you. I'm starting to feel sick to my stomach that I just wasted almost 600 bucks :( Im a pc and android user and I knew I was getting a locked down product but I thought the promises of iPads incredible user experience would compensate enough but after day 1 of my iPad I'm hugely underwhelmed and mildly annoyed. I hate that I can't change the default browser but fine...but as the day goes on I'm learning to loathe the iPad keyboard with a burning passion. I keep trying to swype :mad: I feel like it's actually quite large and unwieldy as well but maybe that's because Im used to using a galaxy s. Im trying to be optimistic but it's hard and so far this stellar user experience seems more like bells and whistles than substance. I really hope Im wrong though. 600 is a lot to spend on a glorified portable tv.

Out of curiosity, did you research or try the iPad at all before purchasing? Because everything you named was very easy to establish before purchasing. I must say I'm astounded by those that buy iPad's blindly without doing a bit of homework.

Uoft23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried one out as much as I could in a store and of course I did my research which is why my phone is a galaxy s and not an iPhone. As I said, I bought one knowing it would be locked down but I suppose based on the hype I really thought the apple user experience would be worth the limitations. As it is now, I'm not seeing it and so far it seems like a very shallow experience and a lot of window dressing which is very disappointing.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jkhonea said:
Out of curiosity, did you research or try the iPad at all before purchasing? Because everything you named was very easy to establish before purchasing. I must say I'm astounded by those that buy iPad's blindly without doing a bit of homework.

Here here. Research and road testing is so easy there's days.
My own set up is:
A PC with windows XP. An ageing machine but reliable and used for Genealogy DTP photo processing etc.
A mobile phone on pay and go. I prefer a phone as a phone without all of those extra features.
A lap top which I hardly use & was looking at a replacement....
An iPod a super piece of kit. I wanted it for photos but use it for music on the hoof <BG> and tom-tom emails etc.
An iPad v1. My dear wife bought the iPad for y birthday last week, along with a clip in keyboard. I am loving the iPad. I have yet to fit a wifi sim, but use my home broadband for Internet access.

I am certainly a happy bunny.

Hoping this post opens up for mum features currently denied to me.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jkhonea said:

Here here. Research and road testing is so easy there's days.
My own set up is:
A PC with windows XP. An ageing machine but reliable and used for Genealogy DTP photo processing etc.
A mobile phone on pay and go. I prefer a phone as a phone without all of those extra features.
A lap top which I hardly use & was looking at a replacement....
An iPod a super piece of kit. I wanted it for photos but use it for music on the hoof <BG> and tom-tom emails etc.
An iPad v1. My dear wife bought the iPad for y birthday last week, along with a clip in keyboard. I am loving the iPad. I have yet to fit a wifi sim, but use my home broadband for Internet access.

I am certainly a happy bunny.

Hoping this post opens up for mum features currently denied to me.

Welcome to the Forum!!

Tim

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yea, the iPad keyboard is annoying, especially when you are used to Android with either the gingerbread keyboard or Swype or one of the dozen or so other options. I also have a Galaxy S phone. BTW, don't get frustrated at people's responses. Pretty much any criticism of the iPad is met with the ole "You didn't research this thing at all before buying it??" responses. At least those are better than the "Oh, there is an app that does that" responses which used to be extremely pervasive. I also criticized the keyboard and was recommended to type everything out in a separate app that has a good keyboard and then copy it over to wherever I want it. Uh, no thanks.

The iPad is a great device though if you are not expecting it to replace a laptop or be anything more than a media consumption and gaming device. Hopefully Apple addresses the simplicity and complete lack of customization of their OS with iOS5.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Why did you waste it? You can return it.:)

OP
G

gwlaw99

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I can understand your feeling that it works the way someone else wants it to work and not the way you want it to work--why I like Android phones, but the interface is not the only reason you buy something, it is what you can do with it-- both of which were easy to learn before you bought.

1. The jailbreak will eventually come out so it won't be as locked down. I am looking forward to customizing it as well.
2.The default browser thing is a bit annoying, but not a deal breaker by any means.
3. iOS used to have ShapeWriter which is like swype but it was bought and termporarily taken off the market. I hope it will be back soon too.
4. I am not exactly sure what you expected it to do. The iPad for me is a portable media consuming and game playing device. I have a full office suite if I need to do work and a Zaggmade keyboard case that essentially turns it into a netbook.
5. Do some searching for apps. I spend 2 weeks looking for apps before it arrived. It can take a while as there are so many, but, there are lots of great ones out there like Zite and Flipboard.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

With the latest LED update on the Cinema Display and iMac (2560x1440) my guess is the whole line will get an overhaul in the next edition....so MacBook will be boosted soon and so will the iPad (and hopefully the MacPad will come out!)

Most reactions

Latest posts