What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Airlines is the First to Win FAA Approval for Electronic Flight Bags Through

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
american_airlines.JPG

American Airlines has today announced that it is the first commercial carrier to win FAA approval to use the iPad (and specifically the iPad, not just any old tablet!) in the cockpit in all phases of flight. This means that AA will now be able to use the iPad as an Electronic Flight Bag in approved aircraft. The airline says that replacing the 35-pound paper kitbag previously used in cockpits by the pilot will save roughly $1.2 million of fuel per year.

"This is a very exciting and important milestone for all of us at American Airlines as we work to modernize our processes and best meet the needs of our people," said Captain John Hale, American's Vice President – Flight. "With this approval from the FAA, we will be able to use iPad to fully realize the benefits of our Electronic Flight Bag program, including improving the work environment for our pilots, reducing our dependency on paper products and increasing fuel efficiency on our planes. We are equipping our people with the best resources and this will allow our pilots to fly more efficiently."

"We're focused on building a new American where technology and innovation are fundamental to the company's return to industry leadership and exceptional customer service," said Maya Leibman, American's Chief Information Officer. "The Electronic Flight Bag program is just one more example of the progress we're making to provide the tools our employees need to deliver operational improvements and leading customer experience. In fact, our Flight Attendants have also been piloting an initiative on handheld tablets, which will give them better information about the customers on their flight and their travel needs. We'll have more to share on this and other industry-leading technologies in the weeks and months to come."

American Airlines says that the iPads will be equipped with special apps and data provided by Jeppesen, and will start using the iPads this month on AA’s 777 fleet.

Source: American Airlines

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing. All I can think of is that the details are in the wording....assuming they are not clueless, that is. Might the "in all phases of flight" be it? Mind boggles either way.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing. All I can think of is that the details are in the wording....assuming they are not clueless, that is. Might the "in all phases of flight" be it? Mind boggles either way.

Yes, I was wondering whether there's some nuance. If I were doing AA's PR, I wouldn't make people wonder why they're either splitting hairs or are clueless, lol.

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Yes, I was wondering whether there's some nuance. If I were doing AA's PR, I wouldn't make people wonder why they're either splitting hairs or are clueless, lol.

I think it's the "in all areas of flight" bit, they say in the press release they are the first to get that approved.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wonder if this means in the future iPad's will end up flying the planes themselves :D

Most reactions

Latest posts