What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon videos and apps

amy7399

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad 3 yesterday. I was using a kindle fire up until then. Would anyone know if I can put the movies and apps that I bought from amazon onto the iPad?

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not knowing anything at all about Kindles other than they are a direct competitor of the iPad, I would venture that if you are able to off load your movie, in MP4 format, to your computer then you can import it into iTunes and sync with your iPad. Apps, most certainly not.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nope. Kindle is Android. Android apps don't run no iOS. The movies stream, not download, so you cannot play them on your Apple device. Well, if you had a browser that handled flash you could, but you don't see that much on iOS. I've played the Amazon movies on my iPad under Onlive Deskop, until the screen times out due to inactivity. I have not figured out, not have I tired, to stop the screen from going inactivity. I guess you have to do something, which watching a movie doesn't accomplish.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Nope. Kindle is Android. Android apps don't run no iOS. The movies stream, not download, so you cannot play them on your Apple device. Well, if you had a browser that handled flash you could, but you don't see that much on iOS. I've played the Amazon movies on my iPad under Onlive Deskop, until the screen times out due to inactivity. I have not figured out, not have I tired, to stop the screen from going inactivity. I guess you have to do something, which watching a movie doesn't accomplish.

Try this;settings>general>auto-lock>never.This will stop your iPad from going to sleep and stopping the playback.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try this;settings>general>auto-lock>never.This will stop your iPad from going to sleep and stopping the playback.

Oh...sorry, it wasn't going to sleep...Onlive was logging me out because it didn't detect any screen activity due to my doing screen inside the app. I guess it doesn't consider a video playing on the screen to be activity...it wants you to be activity doing something...by logging me out, it frees up resources to offer to others who are working on excel spreadsheets or powerpoints, I would guess.

Wpeace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad 3 yesterday. I was using a kindle fire up until then. Would anyone know if I can put the movies and apps that I bought from amazon onto the iPad?

As mentioned already you're dealing with 2 different operating systems. Android and iOS. They're not compatible as far as the operating systems are concerned so moving your apps is not an option. You should be able to find comparible applications in the appstore, but you will have to pay for them (if you've purchased them previously from the Amazon Marketplace).

As far as movies are concerned, It depends. You can stream to the iPad and you can also download, but you'll need an intermediary device or storage to do so.

For instance IF you've got a media server in your home you can save all your movies there and then use one of the available UPNP servers to connect and download the movies.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no practical way to live stream video from Amazon on the iPad. Be nice if there was a way. It is getting better because I used to have a complete TV series that I had to use Win 7 on my MacBook Pro to watch. Now I can use my MBP or Mini without a problem. Hopefully, Amazon will get smart and put the videos into a iOS friendly format. If they do, I might rent or buy some.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seadog said:
There is no practical way to live stream video from Amazon on the iPad. Be nice if there was a way. It is getting better because I used to have a complete TV series that I had to use Win 7 on my MacBook Pro to watch. Now I can use my MBP or Mini without a problem. Hopefully, Amazon will get smart and put the videos into a iOS friendly format. If they do, I might rent or buy some.

Considering that iPads currently hold 62.8% of the tablet market,it would certainly make sense for Amazon to offer their movies in an iOS compatible format.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got through a 2 hour movie on Amazon prime. I kept touching the screen to keep Online from logging me out.

I timed the time-out. It's about 25 minutes. When I watched the 2-hour movie, I wasn't sure, so I was touching it about 5-7 minutes. But with a 25-minute timeout, that's not so bad. I don't know if the time out is based on time of day or anything like that, but I think this isn't so bad.

I agree...Amazon should offer us an app. Of course, I have a Kindle Fire, so I don't really need an app, but the screen on the iPad is bigger. Plus, I just want a friggin app for iPad. I'm going to write them and ask....in the meantime, I'm going to see if I can get through this movie using Onlive...

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I'm about 15 minutes into a 2 hour movie on Amazon prime. I keep touching the screen to keep Online from logging me out.

I agree...Amazon should offer us an app. Of course, I have a Kindle Fire, so I don't really need an app, but the screen on the iPad is bigger. Plus, I just want a friggin app for iPad. I'm going to write them and ask....in the meantime, I'm going to see if I can get through this movie using Onlive...

You need to invent a mechanism to touch the screen on a regular basis,to eliminate the need to do it manually.:D

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts