1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Amazon videos and apps

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by amy7399, May 24, 2012.

1. amy7399

amy7399 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got my iPad 3 yesterday. I was using a kindle fire up until then. Would anyone know if I can put the movies and apps that I bought from amazon onto the iPad?
  2. Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    Not knowing anything at all about Kindles other than they are a direct competitor of the iPad, I would venture that if you are able to off load your movie, in MP4 format, to your computer then you can import it into iTunes and sync with your iPad. Apps, most certainly not.
  3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Nope. Kindle is Android. Android apps don't run no iOS. The movies stream, not download, so you cannot play them on your Apple device. Well, if you had a browser that handled flash you could, but you don't see that much on iOS. I've played the Amazon movies on my iPad under Onlive Deskop, until the screen times out due to inactivity. I have not figured out, not have I tired, to stop the screen from going inactivity. I guess you have to do something, which watching a movie doesn't accomplish.
  4. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,925 / 1
    Try this;settings>general>auto-lock>never.This will stop your iPad from going to sleep and stopping the playback.
  5. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Oh...sorry, it wasn't going to sleep...Onlive was logging me out because it didn't detect any screen activity due to my doing screen inside the app. I guess it doesn't consider a video playing on the screen to be activity...it wants you to be activity doing something...by logging me out, it frees up resources to offer to others who are working on excel spreadsheets or powerpoints, I would guess.
  6. Wpeace

Wpeace iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    As mentioned already you're dealing with 2 different operating systems. Android and iOS. They're not compatible as far as the operating systems are concerned so moving your apps is not an option. You should be able to find comparible applications in the appstore, but you will have to pay for them (if you've purchased them previously from the Amazon Marketplace).

As far as movies are concerned, It depends. You can stream to the iPad and you can also download, but you'll need an intermediary device or storage to do so.

For instance IF you've got a media server in your home you can save all your movies there and then use one of the available UPNP servers to connect and download the movies.
  7. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    There is no practical way to live stream video from Amazon on the iPad. Be nice if there was a way. It is getting better because I used to have a complete TV series that I had to use Win 7 on my MacBook Pro to watch. Now I can use my MBP or Mini without a problem. Hopefully, Amazon will get smart and put the videos into a iOS friendly format. If they do, I might rent or buy some.
  8. scifan57

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,925 / 1
    Considering that iPads currently hold 62.8% of the tablet market,it would certainly make sense for Amazon to offer their movies in an iOS compatible format.
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
  9. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I got through a 2 hour movie on Amazon prime. I kept touching the screen to keep Online from logging me out.

I timed the time-out. It's about 25 minutes. When I watched the 2-hour movie, I wasn't sure, so I was touching it about 5-7 minutes. But with a 25-minute timeout, that's not so bad. I don't know if the time out is based on time of day or anything like that, but I think this isn't so bad.

I agree...Amazon should offer us an app. Of course, I have a Kindle Fire, so I don't really need an app, but the screen on the iPad is bigger. Plus, I just want a friggin app for iPad. I'm going to write them and ask....in the meantime, I'm going to see if I can get through this movie using Onlive...
  10. scifan57

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,925 / 1
    You need to invent a mechanism to touch the screen on a regular basis,to eliminate the need to do it manually.:D
  11. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0