1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Amazon Takes a Shot at the iPad's Screen Visibility in New TV Ad

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGmRKSds9OY]YouTube - New Kindle Pool Ad[/ame]​

Amazon has come up with an advert that was just shown on Good Morning America today, according to CrunchGear, featuring a poor hapless iPad owner sitting next to a bikini-clad Kindle owner. The iPad owner can't read his screen because of the glare and all, but the Kindle owner, she's just so smug because she's able to read in direct sunlight, and, her Kindle only cost her $139. Take that, iPad user!

It's a fun little ad, and they do have a slight point I suppose, but then the iPad user can solve the problem easily enough by slapping on an anti-glare screen protector, or using a folio case to shield the iPad from the sun, whereas the Kindle owner might have a harder time sending email, browsing the web, playing games and using software such as Pages on her Kindle! Maybe they should have had a third person there reading an actual book saying "this only cost me $10! I win!"

Source: CrunchGear
  2. jaybrass73

jaybrass73 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you're thinking of buying a Kindle you'd be better off buying the books as you want to read them, better still, join a library. Why bother with a eReader thatvyou can only read on?!
  3. dabirk2

dabirk2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just Jealous
  4. RobertBasil

RobertBasil iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love my iPad, but for reading and storing hundreds of books for reading anytime anywhere, my Kindle blows away the iPad not only in book selection and price for the device (and the books), but in readability.

The point I think Amazon is trying to make is if you are buying a device to read books on, then the Kindle is better than the iPad (which I agree with 100%).

Not everyone needs an iPad.
  5. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0

I do.:D
  6. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    So she says, "I actually paid more for these sunglasses!" So is she saying that you need $139 sunglasses in order to read a Kindle outdoors???
  7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with everything.

Other than the "Not everyone needs an iPad"

That needs to be changed to:

"Everyone needs an iPad and sometimes people ALSO need a Kindle for outside"

My geek bag has enough slots for the iPad, wireless keyboard AND a kindle.

SO basically I'm a walking advertisment to get mugged...

Still. I cant sit outside and easily use my iPad, even with an anti-glare screen protector.
  8. IGonz

IGonz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    All you have to do go to the shaded area where those people in the back are. You can read longer without turning into a lobster.

Atleast that is what I did in the Cooks with my iPad. Well I did check my email,listened to the radio with the WunderRadio app,change my flight listing,and watched TV on my Slingplayer app.
    Under the palm trees.
  9. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 0
    I think this is a cute little ad. Fits in nicely with the iPad vs. Kindle "fight." Very clever marketing...

Of course, I can say that because I already have an e-ink screened device AND an iPad and use them for the different environments I find myself in.

Of course, I would also move back into the shade (hey, "they" say too much sun is bad for you anyway).

But, for a he said/she said type argument ... very cute ad.

Marilyn
  10. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Its hits the two things the kindle has on the iPad - price and the screen type. (They could have also thrown in battery life, but its hard to say the iPad is "bad" in that regard).

The kindle is great if you just want to read stuff. If you want more of an all-around device and have the money to spend, the iPad is great. Different people, different needs.
  11. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Okay, okay, okay... Give it +3 points. The +97 others go to iPad...:p
  12. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I'm confused, are there kindle only titles on amazon? Do kindle users get a discount? iPad has iBook, kindle, and nook....seems like iPad has the most selection available.
  13. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +432 / 0
    That is always the case expensive sunglasses just tom read the kindle lol it's col t
    He kindle has its market and so does iPad. Both completely different markets.
  14. Prasius

Prasius iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    ...if the iPad was marketed as a ereader, then I'd see their point. I would buy an kindle if I needed one, much the same as I have an ipod and my iPad... Sure, I can listen to music on my iPad, but it's not really the point of it.
  15. iPadCharlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The ONLY thing Amazon offers in terms of books in an electronic edition are in the Kindle format. These can be read on an actual Kindle device (well, duh!) or the Kindle app on an Apple mobile device or on your computer with the Kindle for PC program.

Since no one but a Kindle user would ever buy a Kindle-formatted book, I would have to say that everyone pays the same price.

This is exactly why the iPad is the most flexible eReader out there... not being tied to a single format.
  16. arshield

arshield iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Significant number of initial press after the ipad came out said it was a kindle killer. A lot of people I have talked to think it is better than kindle for reading books. A fair number of people on this board think that the ipad is better for reading than kindle. That is a perception. (I happen to think it is a wrong perception, but that perception is why Amazon has to directly address it.)
  17. arshield

arshield iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is exactly why the iPad is the most flexible eReader out there... not being tied to a single format.[/QUOTE]

I am not going to expressly disagree with you. If you want to shop at a number of different stores and don't mind reading in different apps depending on the book, then the ipad is more flexible.

But Amazon has the largest single store. Virtually everything available in ebook is on the Amazon store and 95% of the time when I have looked Amazon has been cheapest or the same price.

But I still think it is all a moot point if you don't like reading on the ipad (which I don't.)
  18. cmalinowski

cmalinowski iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I still think, having used both, that the kindle is easier on my eyes and I have much less eye strain using the kindle than I do reading a book on the iPad. That may be just me, but I'm guessing it's not.

Chris
  19. Joker

Joker iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's clever, yet to me look kind of desperate.
  20. iPadCharlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0