What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon Takes a Shot at the iPad's Screen Visibility in New TV Ad

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGmRKSds9OY]YouTube - New Kindle Pool Ad[/ame]​

Amazon has come up with an advert that was just shown on Good Morning America today, according to CrunchGear, featuring a poor hapless iPad owner sitting next to a bikini-clad Kindle owner. The iPad owner can't read his screen because of the glare and all, but the Kindle owner, she's just so smug because she's able to read in direct sunlight, and, her Kindle only cost her $139. Take that, iPad user!

It's a fun little ad, and they do have a slight point I suppose, but then the iPad user can solve the problem easily enough by slapping on an anti-glare screen protector, or using a folio case to shield the iPad from the sun, whereas the Kindle owner might have a harder time sending email, browsing the web, playing games and using software such as Pages on her Kindle! Maybe they should have had a third person there reading an actual book saying "this only cost me $10! I win!"

Source: CrunchGear

jaybrass73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're thinking of buying a Kindle you'd be better off buying the books as you want to read them, better still, join a library. Why bother with a eReader thatvyou can only read on?!

RobertBasil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.robertbasil.com
If you're thinking of buying a Kindle you'd be better off buying the books as you want to read them, better still, join a library. Why bother with a eReader thatvyou can only read on?!

I love my iPad, but for reading and storing hundreds of books for reading anytime anywhere, my Kindle blows away the iPad not only in book selection and price for the device (and the books), but in readability.

The point I think Amazon is trying to make is if you are buying a device to read books on, then the Kindle is better than the iPad (which I agree with 100%).

Not everyone needs an iPad.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So she says, "I actually paid more for these sunglasses!" So is she saying that you need $139 sunglasses in order to read a Kindle outdoors???

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I love my iPad, but for reading and storing hundreds of books for reading anytime anywhere, my Kindle blows away the iPad not only in book selection and price for the device (and the books), but in readability.

The point I think Amazon is trying to make is if you are buying a device to read books on, then the Kindle is better than the iPad (which I agree with 100%).

I agree with everything.

Other than the "Not everyone needs an iPad"

That needs to be changed to:

"Everyone needs an iPad and sometimes people ALSO need a Kindle for outside"

My geek bag has enough slots for the iPad, wireless keyboard AND a kindle.

SO basically I'm a walking advertisment to get mugged...

Still. I cant sit outside and easily use my iPad, even with an anti-glare screen protector.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All you have to do go to the shaded area where those people in the back are. You can read longer without turning into a lobster.

Atleast that is what I did in the Cooks with my iPad. Well I did check my email,listened to the radio with the WunderRadio app,change my flight listing,and watched TV on my Slingplayer app.
Under the palm trees.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this is a cute little ad. Fits in nicely with the iPad vs. Kindle "fight." Very clever marketing...

Of course, I can say that because I already have an e-ink screened device AND an iPad and use them for the different environments I find myself in.

Of course, I would also move back into the shade (hey, "they" say too much sun is bad for you anyway).

But, for a he said/she said type argument ... very cute ad.

Marilyn

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its hits the two things the kindle has on the iPad - price and the screen type. (They could have also thrown in battery life, but its hard to say the iPad is "bad" in that regard).

The kindle is great if you just want to read stuff. If you want more of an all-around device and have the money to spend, the iPad is great. Different people, different needs.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'm confused, are there kindle only titles on amazon? Do kindle users get a discount? iPad has iBook, kindle, and nook....seems like iPad has the most selection available.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So she says, "I actually paid more for these sunglasses!" So is she saying that you need $139 sunglasses in order to read a Kindle outdoors???
That is always the case expensive sunglasses just tom read the kindle lol it's col t
He kindle has its market and so does iPad. Both completely different markets.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...if the iPad was marketed as a ereader, then I'd see their point. I would buy an kindle if I needed one, much the same as I have an ipod and my iPad... Sure, I can listen to music on my iPad, but it's not really the point of it.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm confused, are there kindle only titles on amazon?
The ONLY thing Amazon offers in terms of books in an electronic edition are in the Kindle format. These can be read on an actual Kindle device (well, duh!) or the Kindle app on an Apple mobile device or on your computer with the Kindle for PC program.

Do kindle users get a discount?
Since no one but a Kindle user would ever buy a Kindle-formatted book, I would have to say that everyone pays the same price.

iPad has iBook, kindle, and nook....seems like iPad has the most selection available.
This is exactly why the iPad is the most flexible eReader out there... not being tied to a single format.

Most reactions

Latest posts