What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon Set to Step up as Next iPad Competitor

Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I've been waiting for Amazon to step up. I'd strongly consider buying an Amazon tablet because of Amazon's curated app environment and good customer service. iPad has set a high bar with its mix of strong hardware and software, though. Any tablet must do even better or offer some other significant advantage(s) before I switch.

Even if I don't switch, I would really like to see some serious tablet competition for Apple. That would be to all consumers' advantage.

I agree with this, although at this point the most I would consider is a Kindle device from Amazon. :) Tablets, or computers for that matter, are not really Amazon's business and I would guess that it would take them quite some time to become truly competitive in this area (things can change fast of course). Though it's a big jump, it seems that they have seen the writing on the wall, either get involved... or else. It will be interesting to watch how Amazon chairman and founder Jeff Bezos approaches the computer industry. He has never been afraid of trying new things, and has proven himself an extremely intelligent and resourceful person.

The Amazon Kindle is a big success, and overall more ebook readers are in use than tablets. Amazon can easily adapt what they learned from the Kindle to a tablet.

Recent changes in the way that states deal with sales tax on Amazon products, most recently in California, has got to make Amazon reexamine their business model.

Amazon's core business is delivering products and services to customers. A tablet might be a logical extension of this. I think that one of the reasons that competing tablets have failed is because the companies focused on hardware and specs, not on a more organic approach of the idea of a device which would provide services and features to a user. Apple obviously is very adept with respect to this.

Amazon is no slouch in this area either. Again, look at how they thought about the Kindle. They made the hardware and service areas two separate entities. And so even though they sold the Kindle as a standalone hardware device, they also pushed Kindle apps and software which would let a user read an ebook on any device, anywhere, any time. They did not worry about Kindle apps hurting Kindle device sales because ultimately they are in the customer services business, not just the hardware or device business. This deftness might make them a strong player if they decided to bring out a tablet.

And I would bet that an Amazon tablet would be a better, more useful device than, say, the Google Chromebook.

Well said and thank you again.
If Amazon does their tablet they way they do Kindle everyone will notice, even if they don't want to.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Most reactions

Latest posts