Amazon Set to Step up as Next iPad Competitor

Discussion in 'User News Submissions' started by info, Jun 22, 2011.

1. info

info
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
  2. SaberOne

SaberOne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Wellp, there goes the neighborhood.

3. info

info
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    hehe

4. carlosarias1

carlosarias1
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    queen - another one bites the dust, lol

5. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I've been waiting for Amazon to step up. I'd strongly consider buying an Amazon tablet because of Amazon's curated app environment and good customer service. iPad has set a high bar with its mix of strong hardware and software, though. Any tablet must do even better or offer some other significant advantage(s) before I switch.

Even if I don't switch, I would really like to see some serious tablet competition for Apple. That would be to all consumers' advantage.

6. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    It has been reported (I linked in another thread) that parts for the Amazon Tab won't be available because Apple bought up the supply months ago so the Amazon Tab sales projections have been halved. Apple didn't buy them to keep others from making tablets, it just worked out that way, first paid, first shipped and Apple paid up front

Support Our Troops!!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from this Galaxy

7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Apple having possibly locked up component sourcing would be a short-term problem at most.

8. SingingSabre

SingingSabre
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    After seeing Amazon's performance in the Android app market, I don't think they have the gumption to compete with iPad, at least not yet. Maybe if they did release their own fully encompassed platform they could overcome the problems inherent in their attempt to compete.

Yes, Amazon has some great features against the Android market, but until they have a system that's Amazon through and through, they can't take over the platforms that have gone mainstream.

9. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure what your post means. I think Amazon will try to leverage its music, movies, books and other content sales on an Android device of its own. That wouldn't require "taking over" any platform.

10. info

info
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I agree with this, although at this point the most I would consider is a Kindle device from Amazon. :) Tablets, or computers for that matter, are not really Amazon's business and I would guess that it would take them quite some time to become truly competitive in this area (things can change fast of course). Though it's a big jump, it seems that they have seen the writing on the wall, either get involved... or else. It will be interesting to watch how Amazon chairman and founder Jeff Bezos approaches the computer industry. He has never been afraid of trying new things, and has proven himself an extremely intelligent and resourceful person.