What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

Torria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the case but it is way over priced at 69.00 for the leather. It provides virtually no protection for something we have spent our hard earned money on. I think I would be ok with it if it were 39.00 for the leather and 19.00 for the plastic.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to find a third party back cover that will work with the smartcover. Haven't seen anything yet. Tentatively I'm going to get the Zagg full body kit.

Hello, this is my first post, and I will be buying my first Ipad on Friday. I was thinking of getting the Zagg full body also. Do you think the magnets on the smart cover will still attach over the skin? This is what I was hoping for.

If not, I may be back to square one.

I've already seen an iPad 2 with a Zagg shield on the back being used with the Smart Cover. The magnets are strong enough to attract through the shield.

I'm getting a Smart Cover for sure, with either a clear shield like the Zagg, or a similar clear shield protector.

elgerber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xune said:
I've already seen an iPad 2 with a Zagg shield on the back being used with the Smart Cover. The magnets are strong enough to attract through the shield.

I'm getting a Smart Cover for sure, with either a clear shield like the Zagg, or a similar clear shield protector.

That was me you answered. I am using my smart cover with the plastic that it came wrapped in until my other cover gets here, and the magnets hold fine with that. I ordered the Bodyguardz because of the reports of the zagg being cut wrong.

incognito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was a little little skeptical at first but I really like the smart cover. I was worried about the back but when in use it covers it. It really is smart and I like how you can see, feel the iPad as it was designed!!

I wanted a black one which we all know is only available in leather and $70 seems rather over priced!

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Broseph said:
Don't get me wrong--it's cool, but im worried about scratching the back. I also find it convenient (for apple) that my would-be choice of colors is only featured in leather ($69) vs. $39 for plastic. I'm interested to hear thoughts because as far as i've heard, everyone is in love with the cases.

cheers

The cases are cool and functional but they are not for full protection, they are just for the screen. If you think you will drop your iPad, get something else.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, I seriously thought about getting the Smart Cover when I ordered my iPad 2. but then I backed off because I really like having some protection for the rest of the device as well. My current iPad has a MacAlly Flexitpad clear flexible protective case (or "skin", if you like) that's thick, pliable, form-fitting and offers just enough grip without bing too grippy that has been a Godsend to my iPad, as I've dropped it a few times. The only protection the screen itself has is a Power Support anti-glare screen protector sheet. I normally keep it in one of two carrying cases I got for it when not in use.

But then, I've fully insured my iPad against theft, damage from drops, water (even immersion) and other forms of destruction. I will do the same for the new iPad 2 when I get it.

The one thing that I find appealing about the Smart Case is the fact that it's practically a built-in stand for the typing and viewing levels. That's almost like a primary feature and the protection part is secondary, oddly enough. IF I could get a form-fitting case to go around the back of the iPad 2 like the Flexitpad mentioned above that somehow accommodates the Smart Cover, THEN I'll consider getting a Smart Cover.

The only other similar thing I'm considering is MacAlly's BOOKSTAND case, which is essentially the same design except it has front AND back protection. For the same price.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

GwenevereLynn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UGH!!! That cover is so lame BUT to those who like and enjoy it, good for you. We all have different taste. I just don't want to offend anyone. I thought this was interesting. At the Apple store, I bought a case for my first generation iPad. I was just a minute shy of lubing up the iPad to get it in the case. The fit was SO tight. I thought for sure the iPad 2 would be falling out of this case but it fit like a glove. As if the case were made for iPad 2. I just wanted to throw it out there in case anyone is in need of a case. It's Folio for Apple iPad / Black classic leather.

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
Yeah, I seriously thought about getting the Smart Cover when I ordered my iPad 2. but then I backed off because I really like having some protection for the rest of the device as well. My current iPad has a MacAlly Flexitpad clear flexible protective case (or "skin", if you like) that's thick, pliable, form-fitting and offers just enough grip without bing too grippy that has been a Godsend to my iPad, as I've dropped it a few times. The only protection the screen itself has is a Power Support anti-glare screen protector sheet. I normally keep it in one of two carrying cases I got for it when not in use.

But then, I've fully insured my iPad against theft, damage from drops, water (even immersion) and other forms of destruction. I will do the same for the new iPad 2 when I get it.

The one thing that I find appealing about the Smart Case is the fact that it's practically a built-in stand for the typing and viewing levels. That's almost like a primary feature and the protection part is secondary, oddly enough. IF I could get a form-fitting case to go around the back of the iPad 2 like the Flexitpad mentioned above that somehow accommodates the Smart Cover, THEN I'll consider getting a Smart Cover.

The only other similar thing I'm considering is MacAlly's BOOKSTAND case, which is essentially the same design except it has front AND back protection. For the same price.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

The smart cover is perfect for me, I hate cases with a passion. I have had every iPhone since day one and stopped using a case with the first model. Apple products are beautiful and it kind of defeats the purpose when u cover them up. I understand protection but caution goes a long way. In the last 4 years I'm still yet to damage any of my caseless iPhones. The reason I got a smart cover was cause it was minimalistic and functional, I loved that it was a stand for typing and watching movies and also the fact that it added no bulk to the device. I love seeing the design of the product that's a huge part of the experience.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
incognito said:
I wanted a black one which we all know is only available in leather and $70 seems rather over priced!

Apple items, including accessories, do have a premium on them. As to leather, genuine leather products tend to start in the over $50-70 range and go upwards from there.

Many vendors, on the other hand, will happily describe a synthetic leather product as 'leather' and these items are usually in the $50 range or less - the giveaway is if you don't see them actually state 'genuine leather' in the product description (as that would be false advertising) as well as the price itself. I think the other reservation I'd have with the Apple leather smart cover is its disclaimer about the dye rubbing off - which to me is - product fail. Homemade leather dye jobs which smudge are understandable, but factory-produced dyed leather that isn't colour-fast is just poor production.

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Apple items, including accessories, do have a premium on them. As to leather, genuine leather products tend to start in the over $50-70 range and go upwards from there.

Many vendors, on the other hand, will happily describe a synthetic leather product as 'leather' and these items are usually in the $50 range or less - the giveaway is if you don't see them actually state 'genuine leather' in the product description (as that would be false advertising) as well as the price itself. I think the other reservation I'd have with the Apple leather smart cover is its disclaimer about the dye rubbing off - which to me is - product fail. Homemade leather dye jobs which smudge are understandable, but factory-produced dyed leather that isn't colour-fast is just poor production.

So far my die is yet to rub off.. However leather will fade shoes, belts, jackets, bags, they all do so why should the smart cover be any different?

kschles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IF I could get a form-fitting case to go around the back of the iPad 2 like the Flexitpad mentioned above that somehow accommodates the Smart Cover, THEN I'll consider getting a Smart Cover.

This case by Marware was brought up by another forum poster:

MicroShell iPad 2 case

It's made to work with the Apple Smart Cover. I'm waiting for my Apple cover (as well as my Ipad), so pre-ordered the Marware cover as well (it's not yet available). I'll post on how well it all works when I get everything.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kschles said:

MicroShell iPad 2 case

It's made to work with the Apple Smart Cover. I'm waiting for my Apple cover (as well as my Ipad), so pre-ordered the Marware cover as well (it's not yet available). I'll post on how well it all works when I get everything.

Nice! Exactly what I was hoping to find. I've always liked the "grippy" feeling of the material this one is made out of. And really, I didn't want to return my Smart Cover. This and it together will be the perfect set up I think.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm pre-ordering right now.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IF I could get a form-fitting case to go around the back of the iPad 2 like the Flexitpad mentioned above that somehow accommodates the Smart Cover, THEN I'll consider getting a Smart Cover.

MicroShell iPad 2 case

I had the Marware case on my iPad 1 and it was fantastic. The microshell just covers the back, reinforces the corners, and was designed to work with the Smart Cover. Perfect for keeping the best of both worlds, plus it will look great with my black Smart cover.

Most reactions