Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Broseph, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Hmb_fore

Hmb_fore
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Do not understand the concern for scratching the back so I really like the cover. It travels in my briefcase anyway so I can not find a reason for a sleeve.

2. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Resale value. Besides, many of us like to really take care of our expensive toys so they continue to look nice. 

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

3. iceman72

iceman72
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I think its pretty cool but way way over priced. Honestly the way apple was talking I though it was going to be free. If it were maybe $10 bucks. But $40 is out of control if you ask me.

#243 iceman72, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  4. NAYo2002

NAYo2002
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    My thoughts exactly. I would've paid $20 top for it.

5. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, I think the poly should be $19.99 and the leather $29.99. I agree that the current prices are a little bit too much. They'll eventually come down, but not for quite a while. You have to expect any hot new technology is going to be big bucks to start with. Either way, it's nothing to me because Apple gave me my blue leather one for free as a courtesy per an error on their part.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

6. Torria

Torria
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I don't believe that Apple will ever drop the price of the smart covers. What I think will happen is other manufactures will start to market a generic version in colorful patterns and materials at a lower rate.

7. cshmech

cshmech
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You are not the only one.. Yet im in love with the cases.. I think its their bold design and the 'technology'....

8. rconn2

rconn2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't "skinning" or otherwise covering up the back insulate the aluminum (?) back and defeat its heat exchange purpose? Is this also perhaps a main reason the new covers don't cover the back?

Imagine a laptop... who would "skin" one... they'd certainly overheat. An iPad doesn't even have a fan, so I'm guessing it really needs some serious surface area to conduct heat away.

I haven't come across any discussions about this (is it described in a user's guide re: the proper care and feeding of the iPad?). I wince viewing pictures of iPads with sticky plastic coverings. I could be wrong, but that sure seems like a big mistake -- or at least one that is causing more harm than any protective good.

#248 rconn2, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  9. Haus Of Albert

Haus Of Albert
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I think the Smart Cover is an amazing accessory for the iPad 2. It has a beautiful design and comes in many vibrant colours. However, the Smart Cover does not protect the back of the iPad, leaves 3 vertical marks on the iPad screen, and the case actually becomes very dirty and can be hard to clean.

10. cherhall

cherhall
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I have had a skin on the back for about a week now. I've never felt any warmth from the iPad, before or after the skin. And it's in use many hours a day, several hours at a time.