What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I sill connected?

crispy51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After several months of use, my ipad 2 still puzzles me. It seems strange to me, after years of computer use. that apps arejust left to run on ratherthan being turned off or shut down. It seems the suggested method is returning to the home screen, but if i've got that right and I'm using wifi. how do I know for sure that I'm no longer connected?

Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks Chris P

OP
C

crispy51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A quick easy way to disconnect yourself from interweb is turn airplane mode on in settings

I might be doing something wrong but doing that for me still leaves me connected. The only thing I've found to work is turning off wifi in settings, but that's a pain.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Airplane mode disables the radio for both wifi and cellular, so you cannot still be connected unless you manually turn your wifi radio back on.

Are you Jailbroken? Running anything that might bypass airplane mode?

OP
C

crispy51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Airplane mode disables the radio for both wifi and cellular, so you cannot still be connected unless you manually turn your wifi radio back on.

Are you Jailbroken? Running anything that might bypass airplane mode?

Thanks for the reply but that is still not what i'm finding. I tried making a connection while in airplane mode and got through with no problem. I then tried to enter airplane mode after I had connected to an online forum and that worked too.

In answer to both your questions, No.

I still had to disconnect by turning wi-fi off in Settings.

Regards, Chris P

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but that is still not what i'm finding. I tried making a connection while in airplane mode and got through with no problem. I then tried to enter airplane mode after I had connected to an online forum and that worked too.

In answer to both your questions, No.

I still had to disconnect by turning wi-fi off in Settings.

Regards, Chris P

I'm sorry but your device is broken if that's the case.

Airplane mode turns off the radios. That's what it's for. You cannot connect without the radios.

Though you might try a full restore with the latest iOS update, it's definitely not working as its supposed to work.

Take it to the Apple store.

OP
C

crispy51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to those offering help on this one, I still can't work out what has changed, but today for the first time when I turned on airplane mode, it immediately turned wi-fi off. Before when I tried, you could see both the airplane icon and the wi-fi signal beside it.

As it seems to be working correctly now, I'll keep my fingers crossed and close this thread.

Regards
Chris P

Most reactions