What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I reading too much into this?

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1. Only iPad users know the Home button should be on the right side if you're right handed.

2. And only iPad users with a case know what it's like to take a baseball cap off a bald head. I'm just saying... The iPad feels more light and aerodynamic, and it feels liberated and free whenever I take off the case.

3. Android users have no clue in regards to the above mentioned items.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we apple users certainly get the gist of it! :)....however, many of us are both android and apple users including me!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
1. Only iPad users know the Home button should be on the right side if you're right handed.

2. And only iPad users with a case know what it's like to take a baseball cap off a bald head. I'm just saying... The iPad feels more light and aerodynamic, and it feels liberated and free whenever I take off the case.

3. Android users have no clue in regards to the above mentioned items.

Just to cause trouble ( :) ), my iPad is in landscape mode 99.998% of the time. And, I use Apple's Smart Cover. So, for the cover to be effective, my Home button, in landscape mode, is ALWAYS on the left. Always. Enough that it seems weird for me to use it with the button on the right.

Just sayin'! :D

Marilyn

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm left handed and when I use my iPad in landscape mode, I have the button on the right.

Using an iPad out of an OtterBox induces severe paranoia.

ObiJohnKenobi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I also prefer that the Home button be on the right in landscape. That puts the volume buttons and the switch on top instead of on the bottom which makes way more sense to me. I'm not convinced, however, that it's only iPad users who have a right-sided preference for the location of the Home button (whatever the Android tablets' equivalent).

I do believe that the iPad, more than any other tablet, was meant to be nekkid. No Android tablet comes close to having such a sturdy and gorgeous feel in my opinion, and I've handled several of them. I suspect that you're right that Android tablet users rarely if ever contemplate aesthetics when deciding whether or not to use a case.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I accept that I can be proven to be wrong, cause I've been wrong before on a occasion. And I guess a community provided a better answer for why I should not have tunnel vision. To each his or her own.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use my iPad in landscape mode 99.9% of the time (I use a Smart Cover also) and I just have to have my home button on the right.....is this because I am right handed??

I always had a clip on case and smart cover on my iPad 2 and my mini.....when I got my Air I just loved the feel of it, so now I use a skin (thanks Mickey330) and there's no way I would ever go back to using a case again!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a case with my iPad. I'm right handed, and my Home button is at the left, when in landscape mode (also almost 100 % of usage). I rarely need it, though, because of multitasking gestures.

It's interesting to see which way everyone else uses it. :)

Afaik Android devices have their Home button at the bottom.

pduffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
l use a Logistics keyboard with my iPad Air. When I place the tablet in the slot provided for the case when typing on the keyboard, the home button is always on the right with volume buttons at the top left. If I'm just holding the iPad, I always hold it with the home button on the right.

Sent from my HP 15 TouchSmart Notebook PC using Tapatalk

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use my iPad in landscape mode 99.9% of the time (I use a Smart Cover also) and I just have to have my home button on the right.....is this because I am right handed??

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but how do you use the cover (folded up so you can type on the iPad) if the button is on the right side? There's no magnets there and my iPad would not stay on on the little triangle formed by the cover. Maybe I'm just confused...?

I would like to have the button on the right in landscape, cause then the buttons for volume/mute would be on the top. But, the Smart Cover prevents this ... doesn't it?

Marilyn

P.S. And yes, I'm of the opinion that skins (versus cases) are the best for the back of an iPad. They're lighter! And prettier! IMHO, of course. :D

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but how do you use the cover (folded up so you can type on the iPad) if the button is on the right side? There's no magnets there and my iPad would not stay on on the little triangle formed by the cover. Maybe I'm just confused...?

I would like to have the button on the right in landscape, cause then the buttons for volume/mute would be on the top. But, the Smart Cover prevents this ... doesn't it?

Marilyn

P.S. And yes, I'm of the opinion that skins (versus cases) are the best for the back of an iPad. They're lighter! And prettier! IMHO, of course. :D

I use my iPad flat with the cover just folded flat behind it....if I want it propped up I just turn up the last fold on the cover, it supports it well like that.....

Then I sometimes have it standing up with the triangle formed with the cover....my iPad stays connected to the cover like this. Yours doesn't?

Here's my skin......and I love it!.... :p

image.jpg

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, but I have to reply. I use the Smart Case and the button is on the right. But I don't touch type on the screen in the way Marilyn does. In fact, I've long given up on touch typing on the iPad screen. While I'm a decent touch typist, I poke type with a stylus instead. If I really want to touch type, I use a Bluetooth keyboard.

So with the Smart Case on, I hold it with the folded triangle at the bottom. I find it easy to hold it that way for reading, and yes for poke typing with a stylus.

I can't wait for iOS 8 so I can use the Swype keyboard. Hopefully that will cure me of any desire to use an Android tablet, lol! In fact I'm entering this post on an Android tablet, Swype keyboard and a stylus...

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Blasphemy!!! :)

I know, right?! :p Horrors!

Yeah, I touched type on the screen. Gotten pretty good at it, too.

Still, to use the cover (and keep it attached so the iPad won't drop to the surface of my desk, it's in landscape with the button on the left.

Guess I'm just the odd one out. :D

Marilyn

Doesn't mean I'm not also looking forward to a Swype featured keyboard in iOS 8. Man, that'll be so cool!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're not the odd one out Marilyn, I use my iPads in landscape mode with the home button on the left as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts