What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternatives to plex media server

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest an alternative to plex to play my media server files. I have plex on the pc but it has been temperamental lately. When i search for my server on my tv or ps3 i have plex server and windows 7 server come up together which is the same files. I dont know how i set this up but it works however plex server sometimes disappears. While the win 7 is always readable. So im looking for a way to view the win 7 server on my ipad instead of buying the 2.99 plex app and realising i cant use it. I have just download an app called media connect but its not found any of my servers?

Can anyone offer any advice?

OP
therealriley

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well i found it out by myself but for anyone else out there that needs the help.
Mediaconnect app works fine coupled with flex player app to play some of the different formats. Works for all images, music and video. I just had to reset my pc to get it to work. It connects to my win 7 server and does not show my plex server but there the same anyway.

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Perhaps my thinking is not in the main stream here, but I don't see the logic of using media server apps, such as plex, twonkymedia, etc . . . except it may be the only method for iPad to stream media from.
I would, and have an HP Mediasmart server which hold a large library of media. The iPad, wdtvlive, roku, pc, etc . . . can all stream from it. Another simpler method is a NAS drive. Both alternatives are solid.
But again, perhaps I do not quite understand the OP's point if view, and for that, my apologies.

Most reactions

Latest posts