What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternative to "The Funnies" available?

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Ok, so a while back, "The Funnies" disappeared from the AppStore. Then, it stopped updating some comics and now, I have found that I get 4 of the nearly 75 I was reading that update; and then only once or twice a week at best.

I did a quick search, saw references to "The Funnies" but I was not able to glean any useful replacements from the myriad of posts.

What is a good alternative to "The Funnies" that allows you to choose a list of comic feeds to view that will update once a day (either automatically or manually)? I am not wanting to go to a website and view them (like Google's Reader) I want to be able to, while on wifi, download them to the iPad and read them offline.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way I've been able to do it is to sign up for RSS feeds. I use feeds from two main sites: ArcaMax Publishing and Comics.com. Comics.com is cool in that you can make check marks for the comics you want to include in the feed (they'll still show up as separate comics in your RSS reader).

If all else fails, there is the RSS feed from GoComics.com. I don't like it as much because it still has to load up the web page in your RSS reader to view the comic.

I use River of News to see the feeds, because the comic will display in the preview pane. I am sure there are others out there just as good, this just works for me.

This is what I do now that "The Funnies" appears to have died. I, too, miss that app. It was very convenient and nice to look at it every morning.

Yeah, it's a pain in the ... to set up the RSS feeds, but once they're going - it's great. It's not "The Funnies" but it'll do.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

ChemoSabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Houston Chronicle has a great comics website and you can customize the ones you want.

The problem I have with everything is that it takes the Houston Chronicle, Go Comics and Comics.com to get most of the comics I was getting with the Funnies. Too much effort, when it was so nice before.

I was wondering how hard it would be to "modify" the Funnies app. It is just and RSS reader, so looks to me if the links could be fixed, the app would work. Maybe?

I do miss the app, it was one of the apps I used every day. :(

brucerob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Sumerled,

You replied to my post about beta testing for the music visualizer. Since I am new I can't reply to PM yet, sorry. To sign up for the beta send the following to: info (at) soundala (dot) com (I can't send email links yet either... being a newbie sucks!)

- Your name and zip code
- What kind of device you have (iPad original or iPad 2)
- Other music visualizers you have used (if any)

jessicaleyden101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Comic Turtle?

Have ya'll seen Comic Turtle for the iPad? It has quite a few of the comics like The Funnies and has a much nicer interface

Attachments

• mzl.atpytvtt.480x480-75.jpg
    mzl.atpytvtt.480x480-75.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 449

kreeger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The official GoComics app is now available for the iPad / iPhone. Check it out. It's totally free, by the way. (Since I can't post a link yet, just hit up the App Store and search for "GoComics".)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for this notice, kreeger. I use GoComics so I can get my favorites mailed to me (daily). I always wondered why they didn't have an app,

Now, I have to decide whether to keep the e-mail coming or just use the app. Decisions, decisions... :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts