What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternative command prompt

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there an alternative command prompt available for iOS, at least some kind of a BusyBox? I miss a lot of commands in the native one, beginning with ps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no command prompt in iOS. Is strictly a touch interface. Though you can't do a few things from Siri, the slowly evolving voice interface.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahem... Hacking Section... Jailbroken... Command Prompt available.

Simply install OpenSSH from Cydia, connect to the device via your favourite terminal program, and viola.

y8ady8yd.jpg

You get access to killall, mktemp, renice, time, which, iostat, login, passwd, sync, sysctl etc.

There are lots of other console packages you can install via Cydia to get a much fuller command line experience. You should turn on "Developer" mode in Cydia > Manage > Settings to see all the packages available.

In order to get access to "ps" you need to install the "adv-cmds" package.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I only have the following commands:
photo.PNG

So adv-cmds package is the one I should install to get all the rest?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I only have the following commands:
View attachment 35129

So adv-cmds package is the one I should install to get all the rest?

adv-cmds is the one you should install to get ps, which is the one you mentioned. Have a look into all the other terminal packages to get more commands. There is no single package to provide them "all".

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. Is there any comprehensive list on how/where to look for other commands/packages? After the upgrade to 6.1, I seem to have lost uptime, whoami, whois, and probably some others as well (also, still haven't found "less" or "more"). I managed to find and install Midnight Commander. And my Cydia is set to "developer".

EDIT: Seems the missing commands were added by subsequent installation of Mobile Terminal app.

Last edited:

Most reactions