Alternate Mail Program?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by iPadre, May 2, 2011.

1. iPadre

iPadre
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    The iPad Mail program has way too many bugs to even attempt to fix. It's just totally unreliable. I can't seem to find ANY alternative. Smells like that's on purpose. Am I wrong?

iPadre

2. GenerationX

GenerationX
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    So what exactly is wrong with the mail app. Seems perfect for me.

3. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I keep track of two different email accounts with no problems.

4. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree what is wrong with it. I have used mail on both iPhone and ipad for more than 2 years no problems. I use gmail as a hub for 5 different email accounts then sync with apple mail on all devices

5. sgtcasey

sgtcasey
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I use it with 4 email accounts including my work Exchange server and no issues here.

Dace

Sent from my iPad using iPF

6. iPadre

iPadre
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Messages randomly come out blank, and either say not dowloaded, or give me the option to click and download 0 more bytes; If I have to switch outgoing mail servers due to some random port block from wherever I am, if I've already started typing, my choices are to start over from scratch -- or copy everything, reselect the message from the list, reply, remember to switch smtp servers first, paste, then go fish out the unsent message from the outbox and delete it; every third message or so crashes mail when I try to delete it, and if Mail crashes, all previously deleted messages come back again, yet if I accidentally delete a message and Mail doesn't crash, I can't undo it.

7. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Works perfectly - no problems at all. Far prefer it to Windows Mail. Very solid and reliable - never had an issue with it.

Tell us something more about the problems that you've experienced and perhaps we can help in sorting them out. It's certainly not the Mail app that's the problem.

Tim

8. sgtcasey

sgtcasey
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The port issue isn't the mail app. It sounds like the network you're trying to use. The accidentally deleting a message thing would tell me to be careful before deleting. What mail service are you using? With Gmail (or any of the services I use to check email) deleted emails are put into the deleted items or trash folder and are easily recovered.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using iPF

9. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Not being able to send the emails, depending on where you are has to do with the way SMTP works and is mostly a configuration issue.

If you use your broadband provider email, but are not at home, than with a normal POP setup, there is no way for the provider to know, whether it is actually you, or someone else sending the email, as the protocol doesn't require authentication, so the provider just blocks the emails from sending. I may be wrong here, but this sounds exactly like the issue you are having.

There is a workaround and that is to either use a provider, such as Gmail/Hotmail, or to setup the email account properly as an IMAP, or Exchange account.

10. iPadre

iPadre
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    all email accounts are POP, so it doesn't make sense to set up as IMAP does it? SMTP Authentication is via password, so yes, they do know it's me, otherwise what's the point of a password. And it works randomly from "foreign" locations, regardless. And if I receive emails on a different channel, but forget to toggle the account to gmail, then I have the debacle I mentioned earlier. Thank you, I've finally found the trash. Does nobody else have the crashing problem? And "being more careful" is pretty useless when it's so easy to accidentally bump the screen in the wrong place. The fact remains, I'd love another alternative to Mail -- seems strange that there are none for such an important utility.