What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alphabetize contacts list on ipad (original)

pebble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello- Pebble here, new to forum, can already see how great the info, experience, etc is Thank you. I am definitely not computer savvy at all and need all the help I can get. Am mostly bed-bound (illness), so I love my iPad - generation 1, (have older but upgraded Mac laptop too, hardly ever use, will need help with that too sometime. Don't mean to go on and on, but wanted to introduce myself (is this where I do that?) and ask a question (again, is this where I do that? two questions:
1) where do I find a "how to" manual type thing to help me navigate this forum?
2) My contacts list has a mind of it's own, not correctly alphabetizing contacts, thought it would automatically do that once I touched correct letter to insert new contact, but it doesn't. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide, and again, HELLO to all.

Pebble

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can help with 2, I believe.

Contacts automatically sorts alphabetically, but it isn't always apparent. You have two settings in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; Sort Order and Display Order.

You can choose to sort by first name then last, or last then first. And you can choose the same options for display. So if you chose to sort by first name, but display by last name, things would look out of whack.

My preferred setting is to sort by Last, First and Display by First, Last; but you should set it up however it works best for you.

OP
P

pebble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I can help with 2, I believe.

Contacts automatically sorts alphabetically, but it isn't always apparent. You have two settings in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; Sort Order and Display Order.

You can choose to sort by first name then last, or last then first. And you can choose the same options for display. So if you chose to sort by first name, but display by last name, things would look out of whack.

My preferred setting is to sort by Last, First and Display by First, Last; but you should set it up however it works best for you.

Twerp poet: Great hat...thank you for your help with "contacts." should have been obvious but wasn't. Nice of you to respond.

Pebble

Most reactions