What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alpha sort springboard

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From my understanding does glen4cindy not have SHSH blobs for iOS 4.2.1. After all the iPad is still on 3.2.2. I don't think it is possible to obtain SHSH blobs without the device being on the desired iOS version.

This statement is correct.

I have not upgraded beyond 3.2.2 as whenever I kept checking back, there was never a jailbreak beyond this, then, I got busy and didn't look for a long time, so I must have missed an upgrade opportunity.

The thing is guys, if you start Cydia saving your shsh blobs, say at version 3.2.2, it will AUTOMATICALLY save all future ones for you, such as 4.2.1. So it is not correct to say that because you did not ever have 4.2.1 installed you will not have 4.2.1 blobs.
It all depends on the exact time you first request your SHSH blobs to be saved by Cydia.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my understanding does glen4cindy not have SHSH blobs for iOS 4.2.1. After all the iPad is still on 3.2.2. I don't think it is possible to obtain SHSH blobs without the device being on the desired iOS version.

This statement is correct.

I have not upgraded beyond 3.2.2 as whenever I kept checking back, there was never a jailbreak beyond this, then, I got busy and didn't look for a long time, so I must have missed an upgrade opportunity.

The thing is guys, if you start Cydia saving your shsh blobs, say at version 3.2.2, it will AUTOMATICALLY save all future ones for you, such as 4.2.1. So it is not correct to say that because you did not ever have 4.2.1 installed you will not have 4.2.1 blobs.
It all depends on the exact time you first request your SHSH blobs to be saved by Cydia.

Hope that helps.

So, what you are saying here, is that I have a 4.2.1 blob, automatically, just because I used Cydia to save my blob for 3.2.2?

I am not Apple smart, so, I really don't understand this process. I don't see where the blob came from if I never applied the upgrade process from 3.2.2 to any 4.x.x version of the iOS.

Even with that, it still does not look like can upgrade, and have an untethered Jailbreak at this point. When I plug into iTunes, it doesn't give my any upgrade choices, so I guess it would only take me all the way to what ever is current.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, what you are saying here, is that I have a 4.2.1 blob, automatically, just because I used Cydia to save my blob for 3.2.2?

I am not Apple smart, so, I really don't understand this process. I don't see where the blob came from if I never applied the upgrade process from 3.2.2 to any 4.x.x version of the iOS.

Even with that, it still does not look like can upgrade, and have an untethered Jailbreak at this point. When I plug into iTunes, it doesn't give my any upgrade choices, so I guess it would only take me all the way to what ever is current.

Yes. Getting a blob has nothing to do with what IOS version you have installed. You simply ask Apple to give you a blob for your device for the current IOS they are signing. The only thing you provide to Apple is your devices unique ID. You don't tell them what you are trying to install because they only provide a blob for their current version. The flaw in this is you can save away the blob you receive for say 4.2.1 when it is the current firmware apple is signing and use it again any time you want to re-install 4.2.1 provided you point iTunes towards Cydia or locally using TinyUmbrella.

Therefore, because you gave Cydia your devices unique ID, it will automatically ask for new shsh blobs as each new firmware comes out. Magic.

As for selecting the firmware to install in iTunes, there are lots of instructions on this in other threads.
If you press the keyboard shift key (or command on a mac) whilst you click the "upgrade" or "restore" button in iTunes it will allow you to SELECT the firmware file to use from your local disk. Therefore, if you download the firmware you want to install to your PC, you can simply use it whenever you want with this method. There are lots of places on the internet where you can download previous version firmware files from...

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool!

I think I have finally figured this out.

I guess the only question now is, how disadvatagageous is it to be tethered for your Jailbreak?

I certainly am not ready to give up the benefits, although about the only ones I think I am taking advantage of are multitasking and Infiniboard and with Infiniboard having a couple of extra dock icons.

If I upgrade to the latest I can use folders to make up for lost screen real-estate.

If I make a backup before I "jump" I can always restore backwards, right?

Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you use GreenPois0n (the RC6.1 version) for your jailbreak (after upgrading to 4.2.1), you will end up with an untethered jailbreak.

And yes, with a backup you can go back...

Marilyn

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did this make sense?

Is there any way for me to upgrade to an untethered Jailbreak at this point, or did I wait too long and miss my chance?

Glen4Cindy:

Given that you have saved your SHSH blobs for iOS 4.2.1, then yes, you should be able to do an untethered jailbreak on your iPad.

What I believe you'll need to do is first upgrade to iOS 4.2.1, then you can jailbreak it. So, you'll need to:

1) Download/install/run Tiny Umbrella (available here. Just pick the appropriate one for your computer's operating system. There are posts here on the forum on how to use Tiny Umbrella to restore an iOS using blobs (actually, there are posts everywhere describing the restore, downgrade, upgrade and jailbreaking processes). One great link describing the process is from ModMyi.com, which is here. A lot of reading, but sure does help understand how to do it.

2) To use Tiny Umbrella, you need the iOS 4.2.1 firmware for the iPad. I got mine from here. Just make sure you get the one for the iPad. Oh, and sometimes the file will download as a .zip file. Just change the extension to .ipsw and it'll be fine.

Those two products, plus the actual restore process, will put a brand-new iOS 4.2.1 (stock) on your iPad.

3) Then, if you wish, you can jailbreak it, using GreenPois0n. Their web site is here. I know the Windows download link works, I don't know about the others.

Once you've got the GreenPois0n .exe on your system, just run it and follow the instructions. Once you are jailbroken, you'll get an "icon" to launch/load Cydia and ta da! You're back to jailbroken.

Standard warning/disclaimer: This is what I did to jailbreak my device. It worked for me - it may not work for you. Attempt any of these steps at your own risk. Apple does not support jail-breaking and doing so will void Apple's warranty.

Other readers - did I miss anything?

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Thank you so much Marilyn for taking the time to give me such concise instructions. There does seem to be an issue though. I downloaded the 4.2.1 that you linked to above, and I pressed SHIFT while pressing Upgrade in iTunes, and it did attempt to load the file, but, when it verified with Apple, it would not pass that step.

If I understand correctly, to be able to use Tiny Unbrella, I have to already be al 4.2.1, and I am not, however, in Cydia, it shows, that my SHSH blobs from 4.2.1 have been backed up. I started backing up my SHSH blobs when I applied my first Jailbreak, at 3.2.2, but, I have never upgraded the iOS beyond 3.2.2.

So, is there anything I can do at this point to get to 4.2.1?

Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you are missing a step, which is my fault for not saying it better (or actually writing it out in more detail).

I'll assume you've downloaded both the 4.2.1 IPSW file and Tiny Umbrella. Now:

1) Attach your iPad to your PC. When/if iTunes opens, close it
2) Start up Tiny Umbrella. It should recognize your iPad. Now, I'm not sure, but I think it will automatically show the SHSH blobs you have saved

If someone could verify this, or maybe you can click a button to show the blobs. They were just THERE when I did this step...

3) Highlight the 4.2.1 SHSH blobs (they should be in a window...)
4) Select/click on the "Start TSS server button" - and leave it running
5) Open iTunes and do the Shift/restore step
6) A box will open up for you to select the 4.2.1 IPSW file you downloaded/saved; select it
7) iOS 4.2.1 should now start to install

For me, that was it. My iPad re-booted and came up all fresh and clean with a brand new 4.2.1. Some people have had their iPads get "stuck" in DFU mode and used another button in Tiny Umbrella to kick it out to normal.

Whichever you have to do, once you're done and have a clean install, you can then go back to Tiny Umbrella and turn off the TSS server (and then close Tiny Umbrella).

Then, with 4.2.1 installed, you can then run the GreenPois0n jailbreak.

Hope that's more clear. Please let us know how it goes.

Marilyn

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Just wanted to interrupt this regularly scheduled post to say "thanks!" I just got ListLauncher and it is way cool. Very handy, having an alphabetical list just a swipe away.

Thanks for posting about it.

Marilyn

Xx2 I just installed this. Works great. But with me having 180+ apps, I'm scrolling for days...lol. Glad it has the alphabet search on the side ;-). I like it though. I'm always coming across new stuff all the time. Thanks!

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you are missing a step, which is my fault for not saying it better (or actually writing it out in more detail).

I'll assume you've downloaded both the 4.2.1 IPSW file and Tiny Umbrella. Now:

1) Attach your iPad to your PC. When/if iTunes opens, close it
2) Start up Tiny Umbrella. It should recognize your iPad. Now, I'm not sure, but I think it will automatically show the SHSH blobs you have saved

If someone could verify this, or maybe you can click a button to show the blobs. They were just THERE when I did this step...

3) Highlight the 4.2.1 SHSH blobs (they should be in a window...)
4) Select/click on the "Start TSS server button" - and leave it running
5) Open iTunes and do the Shift/restore step
6) A box will open up for you to select the 4.2.1 IPSW file you downloaded/saved; select it
7) iOS 4.2.1 should now start to install

For me, that was it. My iPad re-booted and came up all fresh and clean with a brand new 4.2.1. Some people have had their iPads get "stuck" in DFU mode and used another button in Tiny Umbrella to kick it out to normal.

Whichever you have to do, once you're done and have a clean install, you can then go back to Tiny Umbrella and turn off the TSS server (and then close Tiny Umbrella).

Then, with 4.2.1 installed, you can then run the GreenPois0n jailbreak.

Hope that's more clear. Please let us know how it goes.

Marilyn

Yes, thank you!!

I finally got everything to work!!

I mistakenly thought I had to already be running iOS 4.2.1 to even USE Tiny Umbrella at all.

But, I just decided to give it a shot, and try it anyway, and it identified 4 or 5 SHSH blobs and saved them to my hard drive. Then, I was trying to select Upgrade, and did some searching and found that TU only works with Restore, and did that step.

Then, I ran into another problem. My version of iTunes wasn't high enough, so I had to upgrade that. Once I had that done, my iPad restore proceeded without issue, and when it started up, I had 4.2.1.

I then proceeded to apply the Green Poison Jailbreak and downloaded Cydia. So, I think I am good to go.

Thank you to EVERYONE for all your help, and I suppose MOST of all, Thank you to CYDIA for saving my SHSH blobs without ME having to TELL you to do so, without which, this would not have been possible!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yay!

Glad it worked for you. Now you'll have to tell us how you like what, IMHO, is a major change in software. The change from iOS 3.x to 4.x has to be huge. You like?

Marilyn

Emileb420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been preparing to reload everything on my iPad because of issues I'm having. I have Cydia saving my shsh blobs. I downloaded tinyumbrella, and plugged in my iPad. tinyumbrella recognizes my iPad fine, but no saved blobs magically show up. Is it safe for me to just save them now in tinyumbrella, since I'm on the build I want to use, or do I HAVE to pull the ones cydia already saved for me?

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you open Cydia, does it show saved SHSH blobs at the top? Mine did, and when I plugged in my iPad, and ran Tiny Umbrella, it pulled my blobs.

Seems after I told Cydia to save my first blob on 3.2.2, it automatically did so for all the rest, even though I never actually performed an upgrade on the iOS after 3.2.2 until last night.

Emileb420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it says at the top of Cydia I saved it, but nothing comes into the window in tinyumbrella when I plug my iPad in for some reason. You didn't have to click on anything to get it to show up? Just plug in the iPad and start tinyumbrella?

I'll have to wait to try again now, my son is home from school and there is now way I can pry it out of his hands when he's playing Spiderman! ;)

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it says at the top of Cydia I saved it, but nothing comes into the window in tinyumbrella when I plug my iPad in for some reason. You didn't have to click on anything to get it to show up? Just plug in the iPad and start tinyumbrella?

I'll have to wait to try again now, my son is home from school and there is now way I can pry it out of his hands when he's playing Spiderman! ;)

Cannot answer that right now. I am at work, and I'll bet when I get home, I'll find that my wife has taken the iPad out of town with her.

I think Mickey330 can better answer that question because it was her instructions that helped me get things going. I did run Tiny Umbrella, and I do belive I had to click a couple of places to actually do the retreival and backup's, but, it did "find" my blobs, "where" I can't be certain, Cydia, I suppose.

Wish I could be of more help, but, I am at work, and the iPad might be at home, or it might be on the road with my wife.

Emileb420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I might have stumbled on the solution to my app crashing problems on my own. I decided to start uninstalling my cydia apps and tweaks, to see if I might catch the trouble maker. I found that I had installed a tweak to add spell checking to text fields as you are typing, and I had forgotten about it since then. I realized that most if not all of my app crashes were happening as I was typing. I have deleted it, and now (fingers crossed), it seems to be fixed. I just finished a long blog posting, and have now typed this entire message in my iPad, and no crashes. If, after a day or so, the problem doesn't return, I will call this problem solved.

Edit: I meant to post this in a related thread about my iPad crashing issues, but posted it here instead, however, it is related, since it was this crashing issue that was leading me to reloading my device.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts