What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alpha sort springboard

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may be a dangerous or useless "application" or "action", however, I am very used to this behavior on my Android Smartphone and would appreciate the ability to have it on my Jailbroken iPad.

I have searched for such an application, and being that I am not a programmer nor an appllication developer, if this does not exist, I cannot write it myself.

Is there such a thing? Is there anyone else that would even desire such a thing? Personally, I think it would make it much easier to find many applications if I could alpha sort each page of my springboard.

Thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try ListLauncher. It puts an alphabetical list of all your apps on the spotlight page (swipe right from home page). I find it really useful although its not quite what you want...

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still at 3.2 so I cannot use that and I'm not sure I can upgrade "just a little" right? Wouldn't Apple make me jump all the way to the most current iOS? I don't want to lose what jailbreak I already have, though I do have blobs backed up, but would not really know how to make use of them...

Thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe time to learn how to use your blobs then? The longer you stay on 3.2 the more marginalised you will become. You cant stay there forever unless you want to remain static with everything you have.
The good news is that if you did start saving blobs, you should have them for 4.2.1 which is now trivial to jailbreak and has the best current coverage for compatible Cydia apps.

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe time to learn how to use your blobs then? The longer you stay on 3.2 the more marginalised you will become. You cant stay there forever unless you want to remain static with everything you have.
The good news is that if you did start saving blobs, you should have them for 4.2.1 which is now trivial to jailbreak and has the best current coverage for compatible Cydia apps.

3.2 is the only blob I have so far. Can I update to 4.2.1 and still have an unthethered Jailbreak? If so, please tell me how.

Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try ListLauncher. It puts an alphabetical list of all your apps on the spotlight page (swipe right from home page). I find it really useful although its not quite what you want...

Just wanted to interrupt this regularly scheduled post to say "thanks!" I just got ListLauncher and it is way cool. Very handy, having an alphabetical list just a swipe away.

Thanks for posting about it.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
3.2 is the only blob I have so far. Can I update to 4.2.1 and still have an unthethered Jailbreak? If so, please tell me how.

Thanks

OK, how do you know you have 3.2 blobs? What does it say at the top of the main page on Cydia when you open it? It should list all your blobs which are saved...
It would be extremely unusual to only have 3.2. Once you start the process of saving them via Cydia (even if you use tinyumbrella) then it is automated from there on. Every set of blobs should be saved. It's an unstoppable force!

Download tinyumbrella now and save your blobs on your PC. That will list everything you have. Then get back to me and let me know what you got...

I hope you arent assuming you have 3.2 because you have 3.2 installed. If you did not choose to save them when you jailbroke, then you cant get them now...

Let me know how you get on.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanted to interrupt this regularly scheduled post to say "thanks!" I just got ListLauncher and it is way cool. Very handy, having an alphabetical list just a swipe away.

Thanks for posting about it.

Marilyn

Cool. You're very welcome. Helping folks is fun :D

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks

OK, how do you know you have 3.2 blobs? What does it say at the top of the main page on Cydia when you open it? It should list all your blobs which are saved...
It would be extremely unusual to only have 3.2. Once you start the process of saving them via Cydia (even if you use tinyumbrella) then it is automated from there on. Every set of blobs should be saved. It's an unstoppable force!

Download tinyumbrella now and save your blobs on your PC. That will list everything you have. Then get back to me and let me know what you got...

I hope you arent assuming you have 3.2 because you have 3.2 installed. If you did not choose to save them when you jailbroke, then you cant get them now...

Let me know how you get on.

First let me say I greatly appreciate your patience! Okay, I do know that I backed up my shsh blobs when Cydia offered to do so for me. Where they were backed up *TO* I am guessing Cydia knows that.

I am pretty well versed in computers, but, not well versed in things Apple, Mac, and iDevice.....so bear with me.

I followed your advice many months ago, and jailbroke with limer1n, followering the instructions to the letter, using my PC with Windows 7 64 bit, and iTunes 10. I have never upgraded either the iPad OS, nor iTunes beyond that point, because I was never sure of being able to do so and keep my jailbreak.

When I open Cydia, at the top I see SHSH: iOS 3.2.2, 4.2.1, 4.2b3 and at the bottom of all the choices, I see iPad iOS 3.2.2, Cydia 1.0.3.2222-73

About in the middle, it says Upgrading to 4.0.2? Read This >

When I go to Settings, General on the Main screen, it shows that I have 3.2.2. At this point, I am not sure what my upgrade choices are to keep an untethered jailbreak. So, what is your advice?

Thanks.

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did this make sense?

Is there any way for me to upgrade to an untethered Jailbreak at this point, or did I wait too long and miss my chance?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did this make sense?

Is there any way for me to upgrade to an untethered Jailbreak at this point, or did I wait too long and miss my chance?

Glen4Cindy:

Given that you have saved your SHSH blobs for iOS 4.2.1, then yes, you should be able to do an untethered jailbreak on your iPad.

What I believe you'll need to do is first upgrade to iOS 4.2.1, then you can jailbreak it. So, you'll need to:

1) Download/install/run Tiny Umbrella (available here. Just pick the appropriate one for your computer's operating system. There are posts here on the forum on how to use Tiny Umbrella to restore an iOS using blobs (actually, there are posts everywhere describing the restore, downgrade, upgrade and jailbreaking processes). One great link describing the process is from ModMyi.com, which is here. A lot of reading, but sure does help understand how to do it.

2) To use Tiny Umbrella, you need the iOS 4.2.1 firmware for the iPad. I got mine from here. Just make sure you get the one for the iPad. Oh, and sometimes the file will download as a .zip file. Just change the extension to .ipsw and it'll be fine.

Those two products, plus the actual restore process, will put a brand-new iOS 4.2.1 (stock) on your iPad.

3) Then, if you wish, you can jailbreak it, using GreenPois0n. Their web site is here. I know the Windows download link works, I don't know about the others.

Once you've got the GreenPois0n .exe on your system, just run it and follow the instructions. Once you are jailbroken, you'll get an "icon" to launch/load Cydia and ta da! You're back to jailbroken.

Standard warning/disclaimer: This is what I did to jailbreak my device. It worked for me - it may not work for you. Attempt any of these steps at your own risk. Apple does not support jail-breaking and doing so will void Apple's warranty.

Other readers - did I miss anything?

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my understanding does glen4cindy not have SHSH blobs for iOS 4.2.1. After all the iPad is still on 3.2.2. I don't think it is possible to obtain SHSH blobs without the device being on the desired iOS version.

This statement is correct.

I have not upgraded beyond 3.2.2 as whenever I kept checking back, there was never a jailbreak beyond this, then, I got busy and didn't look for a long time, so I must have missed an upgrade opportunity.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I open Cydia, at the top I see SHSH: iOS 3.2.2, 4.2.1, 4.2b3 and at the bottom of all the choices, I see iPad iOS 3.2.2, Cydia 1.0.3.2222-73

I based my reply on this statement from glen4cindy. If they are listed on Cydia, doesn't that mean the 4.2.1 blobs are saved and it's just a matter of using Tiny Umbrella to get /use them so as to be able to use the TSS server?

And, I'm under the impression that saving future SHSH blobs is automatic - which explains why the ones for 4.2.1 were saved without glen4cindy knowing or actively doing it.

If this isn't true, then I am w-a-y confused about this whole save SHSH blobs thing ...

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts