Alpha sort springboard

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by glen4cindy, Mar 17, 2011.

1. glen4cindy

glen4cindy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    This may be a dangerous or useless "application" or "action", however, I am very used to this behavior on my Android Smartphone and would appreciate the ability to have it on my Jailbroken iPad.

I have searched for such an application, and being that I am not a programmer nor an appllication developer, if this does not exist, I cannot write it myself.

Is there such a thing? Is there anyone else that would even desire such a thing? Personally, I think it would make it much easier to find many applications if I could alpha sort each page of my springboard.

Thanks.

2. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Try ListLauncher. It puts an alphabetical list of all your apps on the spotlight page (swipe right from home page). I find it really useful although its not quite what you want...

3. glen4cindy

glen4cindy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm still at 3.2 so I cannot use that and I'm not sure I can upgrade "just a little" right? Wouldn't Apple make me jump all the way to the most current iOS? I don't want to lose what jailbreak I already have, though I do have blobs backed up, but would not really know how to make use of them...

Thanks

4. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe time to learn how to use your blobs then? The longer you stay on 3.2 the more marginalised you will become. You cant stay there forever unless you want to remain static with everything you have.
    The good news is that if you did start saving blobs, you should have them for 4.2.1 which is now trivial to jailbreak and has the best current coverage for compatible Cydia apps.

5. glen4cindy

glen4cindy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    3.2 is the only blob I have so far. Can I update to 4.2.1 and still have an unthethered Jailbreak? If so, please tell me how.

Thanks

6. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just wanted to interrupt this regularly scheduled post to say "thanks!" I just got ListLauncher and it is way cool. Very handy, having an alphabetical list just a swipe away.

Thanks for posting about it.

Marilyn

7. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, how do you know you have 3.2 blobs? What does it say at the top of the main page on Cydia when you open it? It should list all your blobs which are saved...
    It would be extremely unusual to only have 3.2. Once you start the process of saving them via Cydia (even if you use tinyumbrella) then it is automated from there on. Every set of blobs should be saved. It's an unstoppable force!

Download tinyumbrella now and save your blobs on your PC. That will list everything you have. Then get back to me and let me know what you got...

I hope you arent assuming you have 3.2 because you have 3.2 installed. If you did not choose to save them when you jailbroke, then you cant get them now...

Let me know how you get on.

8. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool. You're very welcome. Helping folks is fun :D

9. glen4cindy

glen4cindy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    First let me say I greatly appreciate your patience! Okay, I do know that I backed up my shsh blobs when Cydia offered to do so for me. Where they were backed up *TO* I am guessing Cydia knows that.

I am pretty well versed in computers, but, not well versed in things Apple, Mac, and iDevice.....so bear with me.

I followed your advice many months ago, and jailbroke with limer1n, followering the instructions to the letter, using my PC with Windows 7 64 bit, and iTunes 10. I have never upgraded either the iPad OS, nor iTunes beyond that point, because I was never sure of being able to do so and keep my jailbreak.

When I open Cydia, at the top I see SHSH: iOS 3.2.2, 4.2.1, 4.2b3 and at the bottom of all the choices, I see iPad iOS 3.2.2, Cydia 1.0.3.2222-73

About in the middle, it says Upgrading to 4.0.2? Read This >

When I go to Settings, General on the Main screen, it shows that I have 3.2.2. At this point, I am not sure what my upgrade choices are to keep an untethered jailbreak. So, what is your advice?

Thanks.

10. glen4cindy

glen4cindy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Did this make sense?

Is there any way for me to upgrade to an untethered Jailbreak at this point, or did I wait too long and miss my chance?