What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Allshare

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
murraymints said:
Thanks I guess I'm just unlucky I'll stick to my apple tv 3 witch is a con if u don't have a pc

Murraymints just looking thru my music and every thing I have plaid through imediashare has doubled up so I don't understand what is going on.

yohan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New to the forum and media servers so go easy on me...

Reading through the thread, it appears the original post was asking the same question I had: "Can I connect my iPad and stream content from my Allshare server in the same way I stream content to my Samsung Smart TV?". I also own an Apple TV, but I do not want to convert all of my video files hosted on my PC to a format supported by iTunes or native iOS.
Samsung does not have an app available for iOS (already mentioned). However, the Allshare software, I believe, is a DLNA/UPNP server. So instead of searching for a Samsung app, I searched for an iOS player that had the capability of streaming content from this type of server and I found 8player lite (by Mariia Smeshkova - not quite ready to pay the $4.99 for the full version yet, but going well so far).
Here are my results when connecting to my Allshare server which is running on a Windows Vista machine behind a Linksys router (no ports opened, Windows firewall off):

iPad 1: Plays all of my audio files and most of my videos (xvid, divx, mkv, mp4, etc...) but struggles with larger files sizes and HD streams
iPhone 4: Same as iPad 1, but fares a little better
iPad 2: Plays great, no issues so far
iPhone 4S: Plays great, no issues so far, but haven't run as many files through as my iPad 2 trials yet....

I like the 8player interface and it recognized my Allshare server immediately (though it doesn't recognize it as 'Allshare' just as 'PCVISTA' - my computer name).

Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any results to share.
Just a heads up, there are limitations with the lite version not really disclosed well, but it's free and it's working so I really can't complain.

Best,
Yohan

Most reactions

Latest posts